Britlover

Certificate of Creditable Coverage from NHS?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I recently added my wife & stepson (who just moved from the UK) to my health insurance group policy. Unless I submit a "Certificate of Creditable Coverage" showing they were covered under another insurance policy during the previous 18 months a pre-existing condition limitation will apply for 12 months.

They will accept coverage under the NHS but only if I provide the certificate from them. Does anyone know how to request this from the NHS or if it is even possible to get it? The NHS web site is absolutely no help. :huh:

Our Timeline:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-24

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-06-05

NVC Received : 2008-06-11

NVC Left : 2008-06-19

Consulate Received : 2008-06-26

Packet 3 Received : 2008-07-04

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-07-04

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2008-07-30

Visa Received : 2008-08-04

US Entry : 2008-08-07

Marriage : 2008-08-22

Your I-129f was approved in 77 days from your filing date.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi I had this problem with BlueCross when I came back to the US. I talked to an agent and convinced them that one wasn't attainable and after talking to a her superior she dropped my exclusion. Might be worth a shot.

I recently added my wife & stepson (who just moved from the UK) to my health insurance group policy. Unless I submit a "Certificate of Creditable Coverage" showing they were covered under another insurance policy during the previous 18 months a pre-existing condition limitation will apply for 12 months.

They will accept coverage under the NHS but only if I provide the certificate from them. Does anyone know how to request this from the NHS or if it is even possible to get it? The NHS web site is absolutely no help. :huh:

Thanks for this information, I am in the process of getting my K1 and my fiance confirmed that I could be added to his work insurance, I was thinking about saving money and cancelling my private medical cover now, but after reading your post I will keep it going until I am married and will take all documentation with me

Thanks I know you were trying to get your question answered but you have helped me with a decision

Shaz

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You need the registration card that everyone in the UK gets when they register with their GP. It is all that is needed here in the US to show you had previous coverage under the NHS.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Registration card? I don't think I have one of those I am guessing you have to request it? I have European coverage though.

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Timeline
Registration card? I don't think I have one of those I am guessing you have to request it? I have European coverage though.

It is the NHS registration card you should get when you register with a GP or you move area. If you do not have one then contact your old GP office and ask who to contact to get one.

Edited by TayRivers

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Your GP will be able to issue you one. Everytime you change GP you get a new card with your NHS number on (a number which stays with you for life). It's possible if you've been with your current GP forever that you're not aware you have a card. So, call them and ask if they can send you a replacement.

Thanks Tay, btw, for pointing this out. I had no idea that the NHS card could be used in this way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure they would accept the card because they are adamant about my providing a statement from the NHS proving that my wife & stepson had coverage for the 18-month period. I gave them copies of their passports (issued 3 years ago) & K1/K2 visas, which proved they were British citizens during that time period but they would not accept these. They said they used to accept passports but had been "burned" before so they require the COCC. :huh:

Our Timeline:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-24

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-06-05

NVC Received : 2008-06-11

NVC Left : 2008-06-19

Consulate Received : 2008-06-26

Packet 3 Received : 2008-07-04

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-07-04

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2008-07-30

Visa Received : 2008-08-04

US Entry : 2008-08-07

Marriage : 2008-08-22

Your I-129f was approved in 77 days from your filing date.

Timeline
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure they would accept the card because they are adamant about my providing a statement from the NHS proving that my wife & stepson had coverage for the 18-month period. I gave them copies of their passports (issued 3 years ago) & K1/K2 visas, which proved they were British citizens during that time period but they would not accept these. They said they used to accept passports but had been "burned" before so they require the COCC. :huh:

We are with BCBS and they accepted the NHS card as proof of coverage, that is the only proof that you can get that you were registered with the NHS for full patient care. It has your NHS Number on it as well as the name of the last GP you were registered with.

Call your insurance company and ask them if this is acceptable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.