11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The building we rent our apartment in has just come under new ownership, and sadly they've realised that our rent is well below market value. As of 1st July, our rent increases by $75 a month, which we can ill afford. Or rather, we can't afford. We're scraping by by the skin of our teeth right now, so I'm not being melodramatic.

We're in a bit of a no-win because rent outside of the town is cheaper, but then you get killed both on gas and on tolls on the I-95 (depending on where you live), but market rents in Portland are through the roof right now. We could probably get a mortgage, but we couldn't afford to pay it so it seems a little contradictary.

Can we apply for Section 8 assistance without it impacting on the Affidavit of Support my husband has for me? Is it only federal benefits which are a problem, or can we apply for state or town programs as we see fit? Does anyone have an apartment in Cumberland County which they'd like to rent us on the cheap?!

:help:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm interested in this topic as well. We may be looking at moving. I'm so petrified too even talk to someone at an agency for fear of the nasty "means tested benefit". I'm concerned they could give me the wrong information, that we would accept some sort of assistance thinking it is "safe" only to find out later otherwise. There are also loads of apartments in this area that private individuals own that are "HUD approved". I don't know if these are "safe".

There is much rental housing in our area that is "assisted" or based on income. Some of it is quite nice. But I'm emotionally paralyzed.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I know how both of you feel. I've been checking into a USDA rural development loan to get a house...the one I rent is in poor shape and the landlady refuses to fix anything...major or minor. Since it's a government assisted loan program, I've been wonder the same thing. My ex left my credit in shreds and I am just now recovering, but I still have not so good credit ATM.

If the USC does the applying, wouldn't that be ok? After all, we are entitled to the programs and such. I just wonder if that would affect AOS though, yet I don't see how it would...if its the USC applying. Sigh....

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It seems like it's ok - a couple of people have PM'd me about the definition of "public charge", and it all seems to be legit and ok to do.

We have a couple of estates here who do offer low-income units, and others which are solely made up of low-income properties. Having looked through the requirements, we certainly don't exceed the max income level and we can pay the rent as requested. They have some where it's subsidised and you only pay 30% of your income, and others where they just set the rent below market value. That's probably what we'd do.

I guess Chris will just have to get down the office on Tuesday and ask!

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

It seems like it's ok - a couple of people have PM'd me about the definition of "public charge", and it all seems to be legit and ok to do.

We have a couple of estates here who do offer low-income units, and others which are solely made up of low-income properties. Having looked through the requirements, we certainly don't exceed the max income level and we can pay the rent as requested. They have some where it's subsidised and you only pay 30% of your income, and others where they just set the rent below market value. That's probably what we'd do.

I guess Chris will just have to get down the office on Tuesday and ask!

:star:

I don't think housing subsidies will count as public charge for the both of you. Basically if the alien goes in and applies for public assistance by themselves then a portion of the sponsors income must be included. If the sponsor and alien apply together then this is ok because all the sponsors income is included. Any overpayments (things of this nature) will have to be paid back by the sponsor. Just think of it like child support, single mother with a child applies for welfare, the agency then goes after the absent father for child support to help pay back some of the benefits the mother is getting for the child, but if they apply together then different story. Section 8 housing is not exactly the same thing as public assistance. It is not included as income received, but just help paying the rent.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Because I loves the two of you so much, I visited the HUD site. Unfortunately, I did not get a degree in reading that kind of thing.. cookies to whomever can decipher how you even get into that program! (looks like you must apply only through your local office).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

As a former Section 8 tenant, I can tell you what I know.

This is a federal program. Not funded by state, county, or any other means. I am not sure what constitutes 'public charge', but it would seem to me that as long as you're not trying to collect ANF or any other sort of public cash assistance, you should be fine. Section 8 is not run by Social Services.

Unfortunately, since Hurricane Katrina, HUD has put a grinding halt to all Section 8 applications, whether it be for a Housing Choice Voucher (you choose your own apt, they assist market rent) or applications for Low Income Housing Assistance (properties that are designated for Section 8 tenants only, or tax credited properties.)

I manage properties in FL, and have been told that no new applications will be accepted for quite some time, due to the 100's of 1000's of displaced families from Katrina, the application rolls are absolutely bursting at HUD, and it may take years to rehome all the applicants, as they are spreading them all over the country.

Be aware: U must report both your incomes to HUD when applying for Housing Voucher. If you make over a certain amount, you will not qualify. Also, before Katrina happened, the AVERAGE time on the waiting list for a HCV (voucher) was 6-10 YEARS. It took ME 7 years in NY State.

Your best bet for now, in my humble opinion, would be to search for an apartment complex in your area that is 'income restricted' to provide some relief from paying market rents.

There are nice ones out there (read: not ghetto) you just have to go look and scrutinize carefully the area.

Just my .02 :P

post-18356-1148934598.jpg

4/03/05..... Met on Clearwater Beach at the Hostel, Love at First Sight! :)

5/23/05..... Sean leaves me to continue his trip around the world :(

7/06/05..... Sean comes back bcoz we miss each other tooo much :)))

8/23/05..... Sean goes home for good this time :(

9/23/05..... Talking every day, deciding that we can't live apart

10/28/05..... Sara proposes! :)

3/11//06..... Filed I-129 with Texas after much hunting and gathering of evidence :)

3/18/06...... NOA1

6/23/06...... RFE sent from Cal. Center (IMBRA STUFF)

6/23/06...... Sean arrives in Tampa! Staying till September! :) :) :)

7/03/06.......RFE arrives at my house :(

7/06/06...... RFE sent back to California. Now, NOA2 PLEASE! :)

7/13/06..... Touched :)

7/17/06..... Received email stating 'RFE' info rec'd. Should have answer soon. Yeah, right. :(

7/18/06..... TOUCHED AGAIN - JUST SEND MY DAMN NOA2 PUH-LEEEZE!

8/22/06..... After much discussion and tears and anguish, we end our relationship

8/23/06..... NOA2... Great timing, Feds. Kiss my a$$.

*New Chapter*

9/30/06..... Packet 3 arrives at Sean's parents in London

10/02/06... Sends paperwork back with necessary contents

10/17/06... Notice for further evidence arrives in mail

10/19/06... Evidence gathered, returned to embassy

10/25/05... Notice for medical appointment

11/06/06... Medical Appointment

12/05/06... Notice arrives, interview date 12/21/06

Filed: Timeline
Can we apply for Section 8 assistance without it impacting on the Affidavit of Support my husband has for me? Is it only federal benefits which are a problem, or can we apply for state or town programs as we see fit? Does anyone have an apartment in Cumberland County which they'd like to rent us on the cheap?!

http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/pha/contacts/index.cfm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm not sure how this will affect you because I'm not sure where you're at in your application however we do live in HUD subsidized housing. Because my husband does not yet have his green card he is not eligible for assistance. I however am (even though we're married...i don't get it but whatever). Sooo, the total rent is split into thirds (because i have a 2 yr old). 1/3 (my husband's portion) we pay full rent for and then the other 2/3 is subsidized. I'm not sure how this will change once he gets his green card but by that time we will have moved out and changed cities. Hope this helps a bit.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm not sure how this will affect you because I'm not sure where you're at in your application however we do live in HUD subsidized housing. Because my husband does not yet have his green card he is not eligible for assistance. I however am (even though we're married...i don't get it but whatever). Sooo, the total rent is split into thirds (because i have a 2 yr old). 1/3 (my husband's portion) we pay full rent for and then the other 2/3 is subsidized. I'm not sure how this will change once he gets his green card but by that time we will have moved out and changed cities. Hope this helps a bit.

Very nice. Highly clever and creative on the part of HUD. And fair I might add! I like this idea!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes at first it sort of bothered me but now it's ok. Plus it's easier for immigration related things. The only thing I'm unsure of is how things will change once he is working (but like stated previously we will be most likely moved out by the time he gets his EAD). Because he doesn't have any income right now it's not a factor but when he does have income then it would affect the price we are paying so then it does matter that you're married. His income affects the remaining 2/3 of the rent. So that would be another thing to consider. I think that it's a good program but there are a lot of limitations put on you that you don't have if you were living in a "normal" apartment. Even the slightest change in income must be reported and everything is adjusted. I however could never have finished college were it not for this program so I am thankful that it exists, despite its shortfalls.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.