ShallowShrek

do I need an ss# card to show at making a passport?

5 posts in this topic

if a minor needs to make a passport for the 1st time & we fill out the passport application do we need to bring the minors ss# card also along with both parents and our own IDs. what do we need exactly? for an american born child under 13 years of age?

SS#/Card is not a form of ID. Mainly birth certificate and parents ID are needed. See HERE for more. :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline
if a minor needs to make a passport for the 1st time & we fill out the passport application do we need to bring the minors ss# card also along with both parents and our own IDs. what do we need exactly? for an american born child under 13 years of age?

SS#/Card is not a form of ID. Mainly birth certificate and parents ID are needed. See HERE for more. :thumbs:

yes ofcourse i know that! but do i need to show them the SSN also? cause i have the number but didnt get the original card mailed to me yet. i dont want to wait 2 weeks for it i want to apply for the passport asap

yes ofcourse i know that! but do i need to show them the SSN also? cause i have the number but didnt get the original card mailed to me yet. i dont want to wait 2 weeks for it i want to apply for the passport asap

It's not on the list of required documents (that I saw). :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's not on the list of required documents (that I saw). :thumbs:

Never asked us for an SS card, course, we are just children at heart, still like to play. Recall them asking for some kind of photo ID besides the birth certificate. Had to take our kid to the DMV office and show them her birth certificate to get a photo ID of her. Trying to remember, believe we also brought in her report card from her school as proof of address. But that was based on providing the school with that same birth certificate as is getting a SSN. But if the child was born in a foreign country, also need proof of residence, they key paper for that at the USCIS was her birth certificate. Not sure if your child needs a photo ID, didn't read that section in the DS-11. I know they wanted to see my wife's driver's license, even though her certificate of naturalization her her name and photo on it, but that is not a photo ID according to them, only proof of citizenship.

If I sound screwed up on this subject, it is because I am, but read the proof required in the DS-11, but it's all here:

"For Minors under Age 16 you must establish proof of citizenship AND proof of relationship. Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s). See number 3 below for proof of relationship.

All documents submitted with the application as evidence of U.S. citizenship will be returned with the issued passport. See Processing Times.

For proof of citizenship, you will need to submit one of the following:

* Certified U.S. birth certificate ; or

* Previous fully valid U.S. Passport; or

* Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); or

* Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350); or

* Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from USCIS.

NOTE: A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, Impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the Date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth

A Delayed Birth Certificate filed more than one year after your birth may be acceptable if it:

* Listed the documentation used to create it and

* Signed by the attending physician or midwife, or, lists an affidavit signed by the parents, or shows early public records.

If you do NOT have a previous U.S. passport or a certified birth certificate, you will need :

1. Letter of No Record

Issued by the state with your name, date of birth, which years were searched for a birth record and that there is no birth certificate on file for you.

2. AND as many of the following as possible:

* Baptismal certificate

* Hospital birth certificate

* Census record

* Early school record

* Family bible record

* Doctor's record of post-natal care

NOTES:

* These documents must be early public records showing the date and place of birth, preferably created within the first five years of your life.

* You may also submit an Affidavit of Birth, form DS-10A, from an older blood relative, i.e., a parent, aunt, uncle, sibling, who has personal knowledge of your birth. It must be notarized or have the seal and signature of the acceptance agent.

NOTE: The following are NOT proof of citizenship

* Voter registration cards

* Army discharge papers

Click here for information on the Child Citizenship Act of 2000"

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.