alth

Question about joint sponsor

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

hello everyone, my mother in law would like to be our joint sponsor but as she is over 70 years old and she doesn't pay IRS tax, do you think she is qualify to be our joint sponsor? Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

She may not need to pay tax, however this does not exempt her from filing a 1040 return each year.

Joint sponsor just like sponsor needs to attach a copy of past year's return or simple IRS transcript.

Note she needs to meet the 125% poverty line requirement to be a joint sponsor.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
She may not need to pay tax, however this does not exempt her from filing a 1040 return each year.

Joint sponsor just like sponsor needs to attach a copy of past year's return or simple IRS transcript.

Thank you Yuand Dan .Last time she file 1040 it was before 1993. Will this gonna put her in trouble ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thank you Yuand Dan .Last time she file 1040 it was before 1993. Will this gonna put her in trouble ?

USCIS may reject it, the instructions with form I-864 state attach past year's IRS return, Transcripts, or an explanation why one was not filed, typically one is not filed if income falls below as set number, well below poverty line.

I would be using a joint sponsor that can provide what is requested by the I-864.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Yes,her income is above the proverty line.At first I was wondering if any kind of evidences that can be used instead of transcripts as she's a senior citizen and doesn't have to pay tax, but as you said so we have to wait til my husband pays a new tax year then resubmit I-864 again. It is hard to get a joint sponsor as they are scared of obligation. :-(

Thanks very much again for your reply :-)

Yes,her income is above the proverty line.At first I was wondering if any kind of evidences that can be used instead of transcripts as she's a senior citizen and doesn't have to pay tax, but as you said so we have to wait til my husband pays a new tax year then resubmit I-864 again. It is hard to get a joint sponsor as they are scared of obligation. :-(

yes your right alth is hard to get a co sponsor because of the obligation the only people can be our co sponsor is the person that is related to our husband..we have the same situation my mother in law is my co sponsor also and her tax return she did not make enough but she has retirement and VA disability that will cover above the poverty requirement and our case is already complete but i am not sure if i am good to go for interview about it...but good luck for both of us

Hi all!

I want to ask questions too about sponsorship. we are going to pursue CR1. Since I didn't earn much at work and doesnt meet the required poverty guidelines, is my FRIEND can be a joint sponsor? Cause she earns a lot and I think she is the best candidate to be my joint sponsor. What forms do she need to fill up? Do i need to fill up I-864 too? How about the joint sponsor what form she needs to fill up? Im sorry to ask again i am just very confused. Replies will be appreciated. God bless

Timeline
Hi all!

I want to ask questions too about sponsorship. we are going to pursue CR1. Since I didn't earn much at work and doesnt meet the required poverty guidelines, is my FRIEND can be a joint sponsor? Cause she earns a lot and I think she is the best candidate to be my joint sponsor. What forms do she need to fill up? Do i need to fill up I-864 too? How about the joint sponsor what form she needs to fill up? Im sorry to ask again i am just very confused. Replies will be appreciated. God bless

If she is the USC and her tax income is above the poverty line ,yes she can be. She needs to file I-864 as your sponsor.

Good luck

Timeline

yes your right alth is hard to get a co sponsor because of the obligation the only people can be our co sponsor is the person that is related to our husband..we have the same situation my mother in law is my co sponsor also and her tax return she did not make enough but she has retirement and VA disability that will cover above the poverty requirement and our case is already complete but i am not sure if i am good to go for interview about it...but good luck for both of us

Hi cutie baby, Thank you for sharing.I already had the interview but the consular asked me to get a joint sponsor because he said my husband's income in 2007 is lower the poverty line. It was our mistaken.Because my husband thought that his income was fine due to in the form says "current individual annual income will be Compared to Poverty Guidelines" and his current income is way above also the tax income in 2006 was good too. Anyway,we did go back to the consulate again and gave them my bank statement as the assets of the principal sponsored immigrant to equal the different between his total household income and the current poverty guidelines for his household size, but still they don't accept that. I don't know if we mistaken to do that . We did that because we couldn't get a joint sponsor ,and tried to do it ouselves as we understand from the instruction form. It's our experience ,anyway. It's been almost 2 months to get a joint sponsor , we have one now and still not sure if it's gonna work out because she doesn't file 1040.

We will pray for you and wish you luck.Well,let's pray for both of us then:-)

Take care.

Edited by alth

??? Did the rule change on that??? A co sponsor can be anyone living within the USA with the correct amount of assets.

When did that rule change?

Clueless again ugghhh

When something goes wrong remember this saying "WHEN MAN PLANS, GOD LAUGHS"

www.orlando4obama.com

I-130 JOURNEY BEGINSSent August 28, 2007 to TSC for receipting in CSCReceived NOA1 from VSC December 21, 2007

Notes - earned USCIS skymiles for sure - postmarked from Chicago Lockbox

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

touched 2/27/2008 - great RFE requested - just wonderful news to see in your inbox early in the am

3/13 - RFE letter FINALLY received - and document that we sent NOW resent back to VSC grrrrowling

3/19 case resumed processing

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

3/23 Easter bunny touched again

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

4/07 - received hard copy approval

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

4/07 NV Case number assigned

4/08 AOS, DS and all fees paid online

6/09 tax transcript for 2007 just became available -whoot

6/20 NVC receives everything nothing more to give them now just close eyes and pray

6/23 NVC enters into system

6/26 NVC - RFE uggh - wants all three years of Federal tax return listed and they lost originals or so they say - DING DING ROUND TWO

7/25 NVC Case completed whooottttttttt

8/7 Case forward to US EMBASSY LONDON OH YEAHHHHHHHH -

Embassy - case out for delivery to embassy via DHL sneaky us lol

08/10Received

08/19 Medical Exam completed - healthy oh yeah!!!!!!!!

9/26 @8am -Interview - approved VISA IN HAND OMG WHOOT!!! HELLO AMERICA MY LUV

POE- Atlanta then MCO - October 15th with the cat "GIT" on board lol - POE SUPER SWEET

Husband home finally - god what a journey....but after 400+ days we made it

Hi all!

If she is the USC and her tax income is above the poverty line ,yes she can be. She needs to file I-864 as your sponsor.

Good luck

So u mean a friend of mine can be my joint sponsor? I am A USC and my friend is USC too. my wife is a filipina. I need my friend as our joint sponsor cause I didnt meet above poverty line. What form she will going to use? I-864 or I-864a? What is the difference between that two? Pls help me.

There is a thread here for those forms, we started with the I-864 but thats for IRI/CRI then switched over at embassy stage to a I-864a showing hubbies assets would cover all since I am self employed and they did not like my bottom line on Schedule C. You will still have to fill out the form, but if im not mistaken, the co sponsor does the I-864A-

I remember that your co sponsor could be anyone living in the USA LEGALLY and did not have to be a family member- if you look at the forms on USCIS pull up the correct form that applies to your situation and that should be able to help you otherwise another member here can post or you can check the other threads. Yikes to early to give you the link sorry luv, but god speed!

Edited by SusieK

www.orlando4obama.com

I-130 JOURNEY BEGINSSent August 28, 2007 to TSC for receipting in CSCReceived NOA1 from VSC December 21, 2007

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

touched 2/27/2008 - great RFE requested - just wonderful news to see in your inbox early in the am

3/13 - RFE letter FINALLY received - and document that we sent NOW resent back to VSC grrrrowling

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

6/20 NVC receives everything nothing more to give them now just close eyes and pray

6/26 NVC - RFE uggh - wants all three years of Federal tax return listed and they lost originals or so they say - DING DING ROUND TWO

08/10Received

POE- Atlanta then MCO - October 15th with the cat "GIT" on board lol - POE SUPER SWEET

Timeline
Hi all!

Good luck

So u mean a friend of mine can be my joint sponsor? I am A USC and my friend is USC too. my wife is a filipina. I need my friend as our joint sponsor cause I didnt meet above poverty line. What form she will going to use? I-864 or I-864a? What is the difference between that two? Pls help me.

Oh sorry I thought you weren't a USC. Yes,she can be your joint sponsor.She needs I-864 as you do

I-864A is the form for

-A relative who has the same principal residence as the

sponsor and is related to the sponsor as a spouse, adult

child, parent, or sibling;

-A relative or other person whom the sponsor has lawfully

claimed as a dependent on the sponsor's most recent Federal

income tax return even if that person does not live at the

same residence as the sponsor;

-The intending immigrant, in certain circumstances.

A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, orlawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old,domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions,and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for thesupport of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does nothave to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intendingimmigrant.

Best i could find. and yes correct on the I864a since the joint sponsor would not be a family member - Thanks alth - could remember the wording - hopefully I havent confused the OP too much

Cheers

Edited by SusieK

www.orlando4obama.com

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

08/10Received

Timeline

Thank you SusieK,you are right "A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, orlawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old,domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions,and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for thesupport of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does nothave to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intendingimmigrant"

cheers

Edited by alth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.