tata75

got my I-551, how to get an SSN w/out EAD

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys, just wanna tell you that this site has been helpful to me and my husband in getting my AOS approved yesterday. Thank you. Anyways, back to my question - how do i get an SSN? My situation is that we mailed our documents for AOS and EAD last March 19,2006 and USCIS got it around march 21,2006. Got my biometrics for both EAD and Aos last april 7, 2006. Then Got another letter from the USCIS for my interview dated May 25, 2006, which was yesterday- i got my AOS approved and have a I-551 stamped on my passport before my EAD has been decided. I hope you can help me with the guidelines/procedures and when is the best time to go to the local security office.

the I-551 overrides the EAD. The I-551 stamp is a temporary thing until you get the green card (which is the I-551).

I'm not sure if you can get a ss # with just the stamp though. I know you can if you have the green card.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

According to the person i talked to at Social security, i was to wait for my card before applying for my SS#.. So i did, and was not in the SAVE system yet, even when i had my card.. so they are manually verifying my status.. which will take longer... You can try going in with your stamped passport, it may work.. depends how far you are from a SS office and how annoyed you'd be by possibly waiting for nothing :) Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.