ShallowShrek

how do i change my last name now is it too late?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

as you have read my post about my interview. I want to change my last name to my husband name is it too late can i do it at oath??? I didnt mention it at the interview the IO seemed very rude and i thought she wasnt even going to give me an approval..her approval was sudden and she ran outside her door and told me to leave this way..what can i do now

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
as you have read my post about my interview. I want to change my last name to my husband name is it too late can i do it at oath??? I didnt mention it at the interview the IO seemed very rude and i thought she wasnt even going to give me an approval..her approval was sudden and she ran outside her door and told me to leave this way..what can i do now
It's never too late to change your name. You can always change it through the court system.

At this point however, it sounds like it is probably too late to change it via the citizenship process. You can always try to schedule and InfoPass appointment and see what they can do for you though.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

It's never too late to change your name. You can always change it through the court system.

At this point however, it sounds like it is probably too late to change it via the citizenship process. You can always try to schedule and InfoPass appointment and see what they can do for you though.

infopass appointment where? I have two offices in my state..can i go to the one nearer because the one i had my interview at is2 hours drive..the near one is 30 mins??????? they conduct interviews at both but mine was done at the 2 hour away place.

Timeline

I'd go to the one where you had your interview myself. But you can try the close one. Hell, schedule interview for both - the close one the day before the far one. If the close one helps you, cancel the second one. If not, go to the second one.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

I'd go to the one where you had your interview myself. But you can try the close one. Hell, schedule interview for both - the close one the day before the far one. If the close one helps you, cancel the second one. If not, go to the second one.

if i wait a week and then do infopass how busy are their given appointment dates? are they booked weeks ahead?

if i wait a week and then do infopass how busy are their given appointment dates? are they booked weeks ahead?

Probably you have to visit where you had interview.

Closed District Office may not have your file, so they couldn't do much about your case.

Timeline
How should I or anyone else here know? Make an appointment, then you'll find out. I'd do it as soon as possible if I were you. Edited by akdiver

How should I or anyone else here know? Make an appointment, then you'll find out. I'd do it as soon as possible if I were you.

lol well i asked because i know people on this forum made infopass and probably know how far ahead the appointments go. :blush:

I called the civil court they said i need a birth certi/ID's I also saw some info on the last name change. you have to get a new SS#? new credict cards . If i go ahead and do the name change from court..does anyone have a clue how long they take? I want to travel. if i make a american passport im stuck with the same name..

Timeline
you have to get a new SS#? new credict cards
You don't get a new number, they just update your record with the new name.

If i go ahead and do the name change from court..does anyone have a clue how long they take?
it varies wildly based on circumstance and jurisdiction. The only one that can give you a good answer is the clerk of the court where you need to go.

if i make a american passport im stuck with the same name..
No. You can change the name in your passport as often as you like, with the proper documentation and fee payment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I called the civil court they said i need a birth certi/ID's I also saw some info on the last name change. you have to get a new SS#? new credict cards . If i go ahead and do the name change from court..does anyone have a clue how long they take? I want to travel. if i make a american passport im stuck with the same name..

It's typical for a woman to use her husband's last name after marriage in this country, the only proof we needed was our marriage certificate. My wife was a bit concerned about first coming here with her own country ID, say her married name was Smith, and my name was Jones, and her first and middle name was Mary Ann. She used the format, of Mary Ann Smith-Jones and received a renewed passport from her country using that name. But later elected to drop the name Smith to just Mary Ann Jones, she changed that at SS, and for her driver's license with no problems.

On the N-400, showed the old name on the form, but used the Mary Ann Smith on the top line, course they had our marriage certificate. And with her US Passport, is also using Mary Ann Smith. As my wife was previously married, we also showed that married name on the form, but she would like to forget that.

Have a daughter-in-law that is a medical doctor, said it would cost a small fortune for her to change to her married name, I know she done this legally, but is using her maiden name on all of her certificates.

Step daughter preferred to use her biological father's name, again this is very typical here, though I had to sign for her school, driver's license, etc., just wrote step father after my name.

I really don't know if it makes any difference if your certificate of citizenship is in your maiden or new married last name, this is kind of a womens thing, I believe by observation more than the legal sense. Our neighbors across the street, the woman is using her maiden name, gets confusing for me to call them as her name is listed elsewhere than her husband's name in the phone book, but has the same address and phone number. The guy sticks with his own last name, seems like the woman has a choice. But perhaps more women should reply to your post.

Think the major factor in my wife choosing my last name, it sounds much better to her than her maiden name and does get confusing in the computer age, as where to list Smith-Jones, or just Jones. Having one last name makes life simpler. Ha, I just call her Precious, she likes that name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.