almaty

- Britain's Hindus and Sikhs want the right to stage open-air cremations on funeral pyres so their dead can take an unimpeded path to reincarnation

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

although their primitive method of arranged marriages is absurd - i highly doubt that it's against any sort of law.

Actually, forced marriages are against the law, as they should be.

When you take a young desi girl, put her smack dab in the middle of a huge joint desi family, with no money of her own and no means of transportation, in a neighborhood where everyone knows she is the honi wali dulhan..... she can't do much. She sure can't run away. And most desi chicks just ain't confrontational enough to make a scene. So they get married. The UK, as far as I know, does give these girls legal recourse once they are back home.

how does one define a 'forced' marraige as opposed to one that is arranged? is that not a very thin line?

i mean not in every instance, but the ability to differentiate at times can be difficult....no?

Timeline

3/09/07 - Mailed out I-751 to TSC - expiration date is 03/13/07 - Cutting it close!

3/12/07 - USPS confirms delivery

3/13/07 - Check clears bank

3/21/07 - Reciept for BioMetrics Fee

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

To add to that last post, this link -

http://communities.homeoffice.gov.uk/racea...rced-marriages/

It does differentiate between forced and arranged marriages, but I believe the popular media may not always make that distinction.

how does one define a 'forced' marraige as opposed to one that is arranged? is that not a very thin line?

i mean not in every instance, but the ability to differentiate at times can be difficult....no?

From that website of the UK Home Office...

"A forced marriage is one where one or both parties are coerced into a marriage against their will and under duress. Duress includes both physical and emotional pressure. Forced marriage is an abuse of human rights and cannot be justified on any religious or cultural basis. It is, of course, very different from arranged marriage, where both parties give their full and free consent to the marriage."

Seriously, dude. Consent isn't that hard to determine. You either want to marry the guy or you don't. If it turns out you don't but you felt you didn't have a choice due to family pressure, that is not consent. That is force.

Edited by Agent Smith

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

It does differentiate between forced and arranged marriages, but I believe the popular media may not always make that distinction.

interesting............sounds like more of an issue in england - not sure if its a problem here in the us, atleast amongs the desi community. or is it?

Timeline

3/09/07 - Mailed out I-751 to TSC - expiration date is 03/13/07 - Cutting it close!

interesting............sounds like more of an issue in england - not sure if its a problem here in the us, atleast amongs the desi community. or is it?

Not yet. Even in the UK, it is primarily a problem that afflicts desis who's origins in India/Pakistan/BD are more rural in nature. You'll see this a lot in Sikhs and Mirpuris, for example. Not so much in Indian families from Mumbai or Pakistani families from Karachi. It just so happens that the UK has a lot of desis with that kind of background. The US does too, but not as many.

Timeline

Not yet. Even in the UK, it is primarily a problem that afflicts desis who's origins in India/Pakistan/BD are more rural in nature. You'll see this a lot in Sikhs and Mirpuris, for example. Not so much in Indian families from Mumbai or Pakistani families from Karachi. It just so happens that the UK has a lot of desis with that kind of background. The US does too, but not as many.

yeah, that is one thing with the UK - they seem to have a significant population of un-educated individuals originating from rural areas - and they haven't managed to move the social ladder - they still have that small world, traditional mentality......

in the states, we seem to have attracted more of an educated class - but i think we do have our fair share of trash....i mean - you know what i mean ;-)

Timeline

Timeline

but i think we do have our fair share of trash....i mean - you know what i mean ;-)

Stop calling me trash or I'm gonna go tell Wookie!

heehe , reminds me of a t-shirt a friend has says 'brown trash' on it.

Timeline

it's their religious freedom to do as such - maybe they can reach a middle ground where whatever concerns (mercury emmissions) can be addressed and limited in some manner.......

Yes it is their relgious belief, but remember they are in a different country to their own and should respect the laws of our land, we do not recognise or accept multiple brides, and many other practices, arranged marriages and the likes.

How much more do people who come to the Uk for a better life, expect us to go in terms of giving everyone what they want???? If they want to give that type of burial why do they not apply to build there own crematoriums where only people of their beliefs can be dealt with. That way there loved ones will not be "contaminated" by the likes of us

Sorry if this offends anyone, i don't normally say much in discussions like this, but after the last few days of the demonstrations I am just a little bit fed up of people who come to this country wanting all their own way with not a though to us. I for one do not want to see funeral pyres in this land, I think that went out with the Vikings!!

arrainged marraiges? the uk does not accept arrainged marraiges? haha. you sound as though your afraid of ferners (foriegners) so i'll refrain from responding to such non-sense.

My sincere apologies there, by "arranged marriages" we mean exactly what Agent smith has stated, where young girls are forced to go to the country of their parents (rmemeber these may be british born girls) and they are forced into a marriage with someone they have not even met in order for that person to gain entry to the UK and then for the rest of his relatives to follow!! major police procedures are under way to find out where hundreds of girls have gone missing!!

And as for not liking foreigners, ignoramous, my son in law is one !! and so are my grandkids, plus my other daughter in law and mynewest grandson, so sunshine, do not go presuming before you know what you are on about!!! (bit like the United nations inour family !!!)

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

While we're at it: bring back polygamy as well, will ya'? :P

Move to Utah, you freak! :P

I'm quite happy with the one wife I have. :blush:

Just making the point that not everything religous/cultural from anywhere in the world is going to fly in the Western countries. There are limits and there well should be. What a clusterfcuk this would otherwise be...

Just making the point that not everything religous/cultural from anywhere in the world is going to fly in the Western countries. There are limits and there well should be. What a clusterfcuk this would otherwise be...

Fair enough. At some point, the West will have to take a stand on what it stands for. It's just not enough to say we accept and tolerate all, because that leaves unsaid what the West's own values are. It is logistically impossible to accept all values from everywhere. For example, within India, some states ban the slaughter of cows and some do not. Some states ban the sale of alcohol and some do not. Every state is clear as to what their values are. As it should be. Time the West stood up and said what it stood for. If you stand for everything, you basically stand for nothing.

Fair enough. At some point, the West will have to take a stand on what it stands for. It's just not enough to say we accept and tolerate all, because that leaves unsaid what the West's own values are. It is logistically impossible to accept all values from everywhere. For example, within India, some states ban the slaughter of cows and some do not. Some states ban the sale of alcohol and some do not. Every state is clear as to what their values are. As it should be. Time the West stood up and said what it stood for. If you stand for everything, you basically stand for nothing.

WORD! :thumbs:

WORD! :thumbs:

Exactly, never a truer word spoken Agent :thumbs:

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Timeline

it's their religious freedom to do as such - maybe they can reach a middle ground where whatever concerns (mercury emmissions) can be addressed and limited in some manner.......

Yes it is their relgious belief, but remember they are in a different country to their own and should respect the laws of our land, we do not recognise or accept multiple brides, and many other practices, arranged marriages and the likes.

How much more do people who come to the Uk for a better life, expect us to go in terms of giving everyone what they want???? If they want to give that type of burial why do they not apply to build there own crematoriums where only people of their beliefs can be dealt with. That way there loved ones will not be "contaminated" by the likes of us

Sorry if this offends anyone, i don't normally say much in discussions like this, but after the last few days of the demonstrations I am just a little bit fed up of people who come to this country wanting all their own way with not a though to us. I for one do not want to see funeral pyres in this land, I think that went out with the Vikings!!

arrainged marraiges? the uk does not accept arrainged marraiges? haha. you sound as though your afraid of ferners (foriegners) so i'll refrain from responding to such non-sense.

My sincere apologies there, by "arranged marriages" we mean exactly what Agent smith has stated, where young girls are forced to go to the country of their parents (rmemeber these may be british born girls) and they are forced into a marriage with someone they have not even met in order for that person to gain entry to the UK and then for the rest of his relatives to follow!! major police procedures are under way to find out where hundreds of girls have gone missing!!

And as for not liking foreigners, ignoramous, my son in law is one !! and so are my grandkids, plus my other daughter in law and mynewest grandson, so sunshine, do not go presuming before you know what you are on about!!! (bit like the United nations inour family !!!)

1000 apologies.

Timeline