rupa

how do we vote from down here?

7 posts in this topic

Anybody know? I'd like to vote if possible.

Jul 15/07 Engaged!

Oct ??/07 - Lawyer sent in I-129F

Nov 6/07 - NOA 1 Date

Jan 18/07 - Waiting anxiously

Feb 17/08 - A touch!

Feb 29/08 - NOA 2 - Approved!

Mar 02/08 - Touched

Mar 03/08 - Touched

Mar 10/08 - Petition arrived at NVC

Mar 12/08 - NVC forwarded Petition to Vancouver Consulate!

Mar 28/08 - Received packet 3

Apr 7/08 - Sent Packet 3

Apr 14/08 - Medical!!

May 13/08 - Interview date YAHOO!

GOT THE VISA!!!!! MAY 14, 2008

July 6/08 - Crossed the border - they let me in!!

July 12/08 - Wedding day - it was perfect!

July 23/08 - Back from Honeymoon in PR - now onto AOS?!?!?!

Sept 3/08 - AOS package in the mail - what a headache!

Sept 9/08 - 3 NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

Sept 30/08 - Biometrics appointment for AOS and EAD

Nov 13/08 - Touch on AOS and EAD

Nov 17/08 - AP shows up in the mail

Nov 17/08 - EAD card production ordered

Jun 25/09 - Green Card Production ordered - Finally after 10 months!

June 30/09 - Received welcome letter!

July 10/09 - GREENCARD! - All done for a bit now!

May 20/11 - Sent in I-751 for removal of Conditions

i received the following email about voting. hope it helps some

Message from the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada

Subject: Outside Canada? You can vote by mail!

Did you know that a federal election is being held on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 and that if you meet certain conditions, you can vote when you are temporarily living or travelling outside Canada?

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can vote by special mail-in ballot if you:

. are 18 or older on election day

and

. have a permanent residence in Canada, but are away from your electoral district during the election period

or

. have resided outside Canada for less than five consecutive years (or longer if you meet certain employment-based criteria)

For more information on eligibility criteria and how to register and vote by special mail-in ballot, go to the Elections Canada Web site at http://www.elections.ca/ and (click the icon « I'm Mailing My Vote ! » ). Special ballot application forms are also available by contacting Elections Canada at 1-800-463-6868 (toll-free in Canada and the United States) or 613-993-2975 (from anywhere in the world - collect calls accepted) or by visiting the nearest Canadian mission.

Register early! Your completed application form and supporting documentation must be received at Elections Canada in Ottawa by 6:00 p.m., Ottawa time, on Tuesday, October 7, 2008. You are responsible for allowing enough time for us to send you a special ballot voting kit and for you to return it before the deadline of 6:00 p.m., Ottawa time, on election day, on Tuesday, October 14, 2008. According to the Canada Elections Act, your vote cannot be counted if it is received late.

For more information, visit http://www.elections.ca/

________________________________________________________________________________

________

Un message du directeur général des élections du Canada

Objet : Vous êtes à l'étranger? Vous pouvez voter par la poste!

Saviez-vous qu'il y aura une élection générale le mardi 14 octobre 2008, et que si vous répondez à certains critères, vous pouvez voter lorsque vous résidez temporairement ou voyagez à l'étranger?

Si vous êtes un citoyen canadien, vous pouvez voter par la poste au moyen du bulletin de vote spécial :

. si vous avez au moins 18 ans le jour de l'élection;

et

. si vous avez une résidence permanente au Canada, mais êtes absent de votre circonscription pendant la période électorale;

ou

. si vous résidez à l'étranger depuis moins de cinq années consécutives (ou plus longtemps, si vous répondez à certains critères liés à l'emploi).

Pour de plus amples renseignements sur les critères d'admissibilité, l'inscription et le vote par la poste à l'aide du bulletin spécial, consultez le site Web d'Élections Canada à http://www.elections.ca/ et cliquez sur «Mon vote, je le poste ! ». Vous pouvez également obtenir le formulaire de demande pour voter par bulletin spécial en communiquant avec Élections Canada au 1 800 463 6868 (sans frais au Canada et aux États Unis) ou au 613 993 2975 (de partout au monde - appels à frais virés acceptés), ou en vous adressant à la mission canadienne la plus proche.

Inscrivez-vous au plus tôt ! Votre formulaire de demande rempli et les documents à l'appui requis doivent parvenir à Élections Canada à Ottawa avant 18 h, heure d'Ottawa, le mardi 7 octobre 2008. Il vous appartient de prévoir les délais d'expédition de votre trousse de vote par bulletin spécial et de son retour à Ottawa et ce, avant l'échéance 18 h, heure d'Ottawa, le jour d'élection, le mardi 14 octobre 2008. En vertu de la Loi électorale du Canada, votre vote ne peut pas être compté s'il arrive en retard.

Pour plus d'information, consultez http://www.elections.ca/

Thanks. I clicked on the link and though I meet the qualifications of residing in Canada prior to registering to vote, I answered honestly about my place of residence being in the us and that I do not plan on returning to Canada. (my husband is in the Navy so I'm here for at least 20 years, before we may or may not decide to go back) Therefore, the system would not allow me to regester to vote by mail. It appears you can only vote if you are "temporarily out of the country" not if you are adjusting to a permanent residency status in the US. SO even though I've only been out of the country for two months and still a Canadian citizen, it appears that I can not vote as I am becomming a permanent resident in the U.S.

Bummer, anyone else have any more information? IT kind of sucks that citizens can not vote just because we are not living in Canada. We still care about our country and want to be involved. Or at least I do.

Oh well.

Jul 15/07 Engaged!

Nov 6/07 - NOA 1 Date

Feb 17/08 - A touch!

Mar 02/08 - Touched

Mar 03/08 - Touched

Apr 7/08 - Sent Packet 3

Apr 14/08 - Medical!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks. I clicked on the link and though I meet the qualifications of residing in Canada prior to registering to vote, I answered honestly about my place of residence being in the us and that I do not plan on returning to Canada. (my husband is in the Navy so I'm here for at least 20 years, before we may or may not decide to go back) Therefore, the system would not allow me to regester to vote by mail. It appears you can only vote if you are "temporarily out of the country" not if you are adjusting to a permanent residency status in the US. SO even though I've only been out of the country for two months and still a Canadian citizen, it appears that I can not vote as I am becomming a permanent resident in the U.S.

Bummer, anyone else have any more information? IT kind of sucks that citizens can not vote just because we are not living in Canada. We still care about our country and want to be involved. Or at least I do.

Oh well.

Hi,

I have already registered to vote and in fact received my ballot and filled it out, ready to be mailed. I simply filled out the form, faxed it in and they mailed me a ballot within a week.

You have it right, they do require that you fill in an intended date of return, since you don't think you will be returning any time in the near future, you won't be able to vote.

I agree that while we do still care about our country it would be nice if they let us all vote, on the flip side - if we aren't living there do we all keep up with what's going on? I don't mean you necessarily :)

Hmmm, I thought about putting in an intended date of return, but then I'd just be lying cause I don't really know for sure and then I was wondering if doing this (voting in Canadian elections) would cause any consequesces for adjusting status here and eventually citizenship in the us down the road. Will USCIS see this as trying to maintain ties to Canada? My goal is dual citizeship, as I would like to keep my Canadian citizenship to be able to go home whenever I want, but also be able to fully participate in American society as well.

I love keeping up with politics and I guess with all the election ferver down here, I just wish I could be a part of everything going on back home too. But I suppose, I better play by the rules. It just sucks feeling like I'm going to be a non-entity for the next 5 years.

Edited by rupa

Jul 15/07 Engaged!

Nov 6/07 - NOA 1 Date

Feb 17/08 - A touch!

Mar 02/08 - Touched

Mar 03/08 - Touched

Apr 7/08 - Sent Packet 3

Apr 14/08 - Medical!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hmmm, I thought about putting in an intended date of return, but then I'd just be lying cause I don't really know for sure and then I was wondering if doing this (voting in Canadian elections) would cause any consequesces for adjusting status here and eventually citizenship in the us down the road. Will USCIS see this as trying to maintain ties to Canada? My goal is dual citizeship, as I would like to keep my Canadian citizenship to be able to go home whenever I want, but also be able to fully participate in American society as well.

I love keeping up with politics and I guess with all the election ferver down here, I just wish I could be a part of everything going on back home too. But I suppose, I better play by the rules. It just sucks feeling like I'm going to be a non-entity for the next 5 years.

I don't see how USCIS would have any idea that you voted in Canadian elections. Plus, knowing zero about applying for citizenship, I am pretty sure they could care less if you vote in an election in Canada, they are a democracy, I think they get the gist.. :thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know, it sucks not being able to vote in Canadian elections. When you think about it though, part of the reason is the way the Canadian Parliamentary system works. We do not vote directly for a Prime Minister. We vote for the representative of the geographic area (constituency/riding) in which we reside. If you are no longer living in Canada then you do not have a geographic area in which you reside, therefore, there is no one for whom you can vote - thus, no vote.

You could, if you were not being honest, list yourself as returning to a residency where you used to live, or even take on the address of a friend or relative (you need a physical address to be on the voter's list and your name and address are physically crossed through when you cast your vote to ensure you don't vote twice). I don't know if there are repercussions with US immigration or not. The way they would know, however, is that same 'don't tell a lie' or suffer the possible repercussions of misrepresentation charges if they find out situation we all face with actual immigration and cross border dealings.

So, unless Canada changes its form of government to a direct vote rather than a representational vote, expatriat Canadians won't be able to vote legally.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.