Clark needs help

Question about the K3 visa route

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

If taking the K3 visa route would mean that there are 2 chances of my spouse making it to the states, either with the i-130 form or i-129f then why would a petitioner not want to take this route, seeing that the i-129f fee would be waived if you paid for the i-130? ("There is no fee for petitions for K-3 status based on an immigrant petition filed by the same U.S. citizen") <---- That does mean that the 129f fee would be waived right?

So im just wondering if this would give us 2 chances of approval, why wouldn't all of us just take this route as oppose to the cr-1 visa route.

I'm going to start petitioning my wife ( she lives in the philippines ). For the people who have done this, what would be best. Your opinions would mean alot.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
If taking the K3 visa route would mean that there are 2 chances of my spouse making it to the states, either with the i-130 form or i-129f then why would a petitioner not want to take this route, seeing that the i-129f fee would be waived if you paid for the i-130? ("There is no fee for petitions for K-3 status based on an immigrant petition filed by the same U.S. citizen") <---- That does mean that the 129f fee would be waived right?

So im just wondering if this would give us 2 chances of approval, why wouldn't all of us just take this route as oppose to the cr-1 visa route.

I'm going to start petitioning my wife ( she lives in the philippines ). For the people who have done this, what would be best. Your opinions would mean alot.

Hi,

Ok, most people would say "read the links" lol But I hate that answer, so I will give you my opinion and let you know that there are two sets of step-by-step instructions if you are interested.

Ok, the K-3 came to be because it used to take a very very long time to get the IR1/CR1 approved. Now, they seem to be getting approved at about the same rate.

True, the I-129f is free if you pay the fee for the I-130, BUT....

If you go with just the I-130, when it is approved, you basically have your paper work done for almost 2 years and your SO can work shortly after arriving.

If you go with the I-129f, you will have to file for Adjustment of Status once your SO gets here (1,010.00) and it can take 90 days before your SO can be authorized to work.

The K-3 visa does process faster than the IR1/CR1, so you basically choose between longer and cheaper or faster and more expensive.....

Ok, that is the unofficial answer, and again, you can find all the facts in the links found all over this site.

Good luck on your journey...

Filed: Other Timeline

Check the timelines for the consulate where your spouse would be interviewed, figure out which visa will be the quickest and least tedious for you and pick one.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I think the trick is not to specify on the I-130 that you will be filing a I-129F and then still file the I-129F anyway.

That way, there will be a chance that both the I-130 and I-129F will be forwarded to NVC giving you more options after they are approved (or enable you to delay your decision on which to pursue). You can even use the k3 to get an earlier interview which can then be changed to a CR interview if the CR paperwork arrives at the embassy before the k3 interview. However, this involves a lot of legwork, phone calls, James shortcuts, etc..... and cannot be guaranteed.

Check the timelines for the consulate where your spouse would be interviewed, figure out which visa will be the quickest and least tedious for you and pick one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.