Neostar08

I130 (Petition for Alien Wife) Upgrade Question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Friends,

My apologies if this has been discussed previously...

I filed I-130 immigration petition for my wife in Feb 2008 while I was still a Legal Permanent Resident. I became a US Citizen in August 08 and have the following questions regarding upgrading the petition:

1. Does the Service Center (VSC) issues a new NOA (Notice of Action) indicating the upgraded status after receiving my request for Upgrade? How can I confirm that the Service Center has in fact complied with my request?

2. After the upgrade does the Priority Date remain the same as of the original application (I-130 filed based on green card) or it now becomes the date on which the Upgrade went into affect?

3. Any advantages in filing for K3 Visa simultaneously while the I-130 is being processed?

Any experiences that folks can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Feb. 14, 2008 -- I-130 Sent to USCIA-Chicago Lockbox - filed for spouse based on greencard

Feb. 22, 2008 -- NOA 1 Received from VSC

Aug. 22, 2008 – Become US citizen, called USCIS to upgrade I-130 from F2A to CR1-IR-1 category

Aug. 23, 2008 – send a letter with copy of certificate of naturalization to upgrade the petition.

Sept. 22, 2008 – No status of Upgrade and cast is pending.

I-130 Timeline:

Feb. 14, 2008 -- I-130 Sent to USCIA-Chicago Lockbox - filed for spouse based on greencard

Feb. 21, 2008 -- NOA 1 Received from VSC

Aug. 22, 2008 – Become US citizen, called USCIS to upgrade I-130 from F2A to CR1-IR-1 category

Aug. 23, 2008 – send a letter with copy of certificate of naturalization to upgrade the petition.

Sept. 22, 2008 – Status is upgraded to CR-1/IR-1 category and case is pending.

Nov. 06, 2008 - Transferred to CSC (notified via US Post)

April 02, 2009- NOA2 - approval notice sent

NVC Journey

2009-04-17 : Case Number Assigned - Received this by speaking to a live operator.

2009-04-20 : AOS and IV Fee bills generated and rec'd Invoice id number via e-mail

2009-04-22 : AOS and IV Fee bills status - Paid (online)

2009-04-24 : AOS and DS-230 package sent to NVC

2009-05-06 : case completed at NVC (checked through AVR)

Embassy Journey

2009-05-12 : Forward the case to Embassy in Mumbai (BMB) India

2009-06-30 : Visa Interview

2009-xx-xx : Medical

2009-xx-xx : Visa Approved

2009-xx-xx : Visa in Hand

2009-xx-xx : POE

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hello Friends,

I filed I-130 immigration petition for my wife in Feb 2008 while I was still a Legal Permanent Resident. I became a US Citizen in August 08 and have the following questions regarding upgrading the petition:

1. Does the Service Center (VSC) issues a new NOA (Notice of Action) indicating the upgraded status after receiving my request for Upgrade? How can I confirm that the Service Center has in fact complied with my request?

2. After the upgrade does the Priority Date remain the same as of the original application (I-130 filed based on green card) or it now becomes the date on which the Upgrade went into affect?

3. Any advantages in filing for K3 Visa simultaneously while the I-130 is being processed?

Thanks in Advance.

hi. let me answer you becouse we are in the same setuation.

i applied when i was a green card holder on nov/2006 and upgrade it on june 19/2008

i recived upgrade letter on july 24 from VSC .

your origenal file date will not change . but now i have been waiting 3 monthes for approval from vsc and nothing shows up, neot even a touch. i called the cus service and they did a servicce request for me on aug 26 to see what's going on and why didn't i get any approve untill now and they tol me wait 45 days.

i am really tired of waiting more longer than that.

i sent today 9/22/2008 a complain to obudisman vis express mail. let's see what can they do after few days.

someone told me after i mailed that is not a good idea to make a complain about USCIS . but i said whatever maybe that works

Good luck to you too .

Timeline
Hello Friends,

Thanks in Advance.

hi. let me answer you becouse we are in the same setuation.

i applied when i was a green card holder on nov/2006 and upgrade it on june 19/2008

i recived upgrade letter on july 24 from VSC .

your origenal file date will not change . but now i have been waiting 3 monthes for approval from vsc and nothing shows up, neot even a touch. i called the cus service and they did a servicce request for me on aug 26 to see what's going on and why didn't i get any approve untill now and they tol me wait 45 days.

i am really tired of waiting more longer than that.

i sent today 9/22/2008 a complain to obudisman vis express mail. let's see what can they do after few days.

someone told me after i mailed that is not a good idea to make a complain about USCIS . but i said whatever maybe that works

Good luck to you too .

Mike if someone make a complaint after waiting for a long time that is just natural. It is human tendency. Do not worry you did you job. If I was in your situation I would have done the same thing apart from writing to my congressman and senator.

05-26-2008 Marriage

06-23-2008 Leaving my baby

07-29-2008 I-130 to Chicago lock box

07-30-2008 CSC received I-130

08-01-2008 NOA1

08-05-2008 Touched

11-25-2008 NOA2.

NVC journey begins

12-01-2008 NVC received

12-05-2008 NVC sent visa fee

12-23-2008 NVC received visa fee

12-dd-2008 AOS package received

12-dd-2008 AOS package sent to NVC

Timeline

i agree, there is nothing wrong with complaining..you have waited this long..they cant just do whatever they want...uve paid money for this...customers need respect and customer service...

neostar - contact customer service and ask them whats going on if u havent recieved a letter notifying you if they have accepted your request.

USCIS (Vermont Service Center) Journey

Mailed I-130 Packet on 05/27/08

Approved: 12/23/08

NVC Journey

NVC Case Number assigned 01/02/09

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

New Delhi Embassy Interview 03/17/09

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline
i agree, there is nothing wrong with complaining..you have waited this long..they cant just do whatever they want...uve paid money for this...customers need respect and customer service...

neostar - contact customer service and ask them whats going on if u havent recieved a letter notifying you if they have accepted your request.

[/size

Thanks everyone for making me feel a little better. it is really rough to be a part from my wife 2 years , out secound unversty will be oct,8 and i was thinking she would be with me here in america.

i don't know what VSC doing , are they sleeping . i don't see anyone here got approved at VSC.

what is going on.

I am also going to a lawyer tomorrow afternoon.

good luck everyone

Timeline

[/size

Thanks everyone for making me feel a little better. it is really rough to be a part from my wife 2 years , out secound unversty will be oct,8 and i was thinking she would be with me here in america.

i don't know what VSC doing , are they sleeping . i don't see anyone here got approved at VSC.

what is going on.

good luck everyone

Thank you Mike for your valuable information. I appreciate it. I wish you all the best and hope you will soon see light

after long tunnel.

Thank you all member who has replied my question.

I have called customer service rep, told me that it will may take upto 45 days to receive upgrade receipt.

they just read from the system dont have any clue, basically its useless customer serivce.

unfortunately VSC also known as Very Slow Center.

I-130 Timeline:

NVC Journey

2009-04-17 : Case Number Assigned - Received this by speaking to a live operator.

2009-04-20 : AOS and IV Fee bills generated and rec'd Invoice id number via e-mail

Embassy Journey

[/size

what is going on.

good luck everyone

Thank you Mike for your valuable information. I appreciate it. I wish you all the best and hope you will soon see light

after long tunnel.

I have called customer service rep, told me that it will may take upto 45 days to receive upgrade receipt.

they just read from the system dont have any clue, basically its useless customer serivce.

This is crazy!

VSC is really slow, and that is everyone's problem (has become an issue)

I did this upgrade with CSC, I was on top of it and I finished it in 28 days.

I mailed the upgrade docs. Like a Cover letter, NOA1, Copy of citizenship certificate

I faxed the same thing to expedit request fax line to CSC + upgrade fax line

and I called customer service once to let them know about this upgrade and second time to let them know that my case priority date is outside of the normal processing time posted by USCIS.

NOA1 was Feb. 23rd, 2006 and I start the upgrade in July 23rd, 2008 and was done in August 21st, 2008.

Actually I had a RFE as well otherwise it could have gone even faster.

OP, you case may not move fast since you priority date is still sleeping with the rest of people here but Mike1976 you should tell them that you priority date is outside of normal processing time.

I hope you guys can do it. It should be quick.

Good Luck

EDIT: Vermont sucks!!!!

Edited by nimche

LingChe's ShortCut

|--IR-1 Graduate--|For my Wife-Done 11/21/2008

|--IR-5 Graduate--|For Parents-Done

|--Citizenship for Spouse

Field Office: San Diego,CA

11/xx/2008 GC Rcvd

10/26/2011 N-400 mailed EX to AZ

10/27/2011 Priority Date

10/31/2011 Text Message received

11/01/2011 Check Cashed

11/07/2011 Finger Print letter mailed

11/09/2011 Finger Print letter Received for 11/30/2011

11/14/2011 Finger Print Done(walk-in)

11/28/2011 In Line For Interview

12/09/2011 Interview Scheduled

01/18/2012 Interview Date

02/22/2012 Oath Ceremony

YES WE CAN!

Timeline

[/size

what is going on.

good luck everyone

after long tunnel.

This is crazy!

I mailed the upgrade docs. Like a Cover letter, NOA1, Copy of citizenship certificate

and I called customer service once to let them know about this upgrade and second time to let them know that my case priority date is outside of the normal processing time posted by USCIS.

NOA1 was Feb. 23rd, 2006 and I start the upgrade in July 23rd, 2008 and was done in August 21st, 2008.

OP, you case may not move fast since you priority date is still sleeping with the rest of people here but Mike1976 you should tell them that you priority date is outside of normal processing time.

Good Luck

Yes i did called them and told them that on aug/26 and they did a service request , they said wait 45 days to recive answer about your service request.

I am not sure if i did the write thing when i sent to obudemsman or not. those people dosen't like complains and they always want to look right .

Timeline

Yes i did called them and told them that on aug/26 and they did a service request , they said wait 45 days to recive answer about your service request.

I am not sure if i did the write thing when i sent to obudemsman or not. those people dosen't like complains and they always want to look right .

Hello Mike1976,

you did right thing, by submitting complain to Obudesman will not harm to your case.

Dont worry unnecessary, Good luck to you.

I-130 Timeline:

NVC Journey

Embassy Journey

Timeline

[/size

what is going on.

good luck everyone

after long tunnel.

This is crazy!

Good Luck

when did you upgrade it and when did you called to mention the time?

thx

Hello Friends,

Thanks in Advance.

Aug. 22, 2008 – Become US citizen, calledUSCIS to upgrade I-130 from F2A to CR1-IR-1 category

Hi Neostar08,

My hubby and I are in the first stages of upgrading his petition. The day after his oath taking, he already sent the cover letter, Naturalization certificate, and the receipt notice (from NOA1) to CSC. It took him a week before calling CSC since we were still debating on what's the fastest route to be together. Right after he called CSC, our case was touched already and it has been touched again today. It is almost two weeks since his citizenship and a week after he called the CSC. I do hope that everything will move smoothly from hereon. Also "listen" to Nimche's advice.

Edited by ynatots

Best regards,

Ynatots

IR-1 Visa

Marriage : 2006-07-16 (after 8 years of bf/gf relationship)

I-130 Sent : 2007-01 (forgot the exact date)

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-03-07

Upgrade notification thru mail sent: 2008-09-12

LUD: 2008-09-19

Upgrade notification thru phone: 2008-09-19

LUD: 2008-09-22

LUD: 2008-09-23

I-130 NOA2: 2008-09-25 (after 6 days of notification through phone)

National Visa Center

NVC received case (case number assigned): 2008-09-30

(Hubby in the US) received AOS bill and DS-3032: 2008-10-10

(Hubby in the US) paid AOS bill: 2008-10-10

AOS paid: 2008-10-15

DS-3032 received (email notification): 2008-10-15

IV Bill generated: 2008-10-15

IV Bill paid: 2008-10-17

IV Bill shows paid in the site: 2008-10-21

AOS and IV mailed to NVC: 2008-10-22

Received AOS and IV by NVC (by a certain Pearse): 2008-10-27

RFE on I-864: 2008-11-04

Case Complete at NVC: 2008-11-18

US Embassy

Medical Exam: 2008-01-07

Interview date: 2009-01-22...passed!!!

Receipt of Visa/Passport: 2009-01-24

POE: 2009-02-14 LAX

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I am new here and i am upgrading my husband I-130 petition because i recently became US Citizen.

I am not aware of some of the terms that you were using. What do you mean by RFE and how would you know if your petition was touched?

I called CSC on Monday 9/29 to inform them that i am now a US Citizen. Then i was advised to mail a letter to NVC with a copy of my Naturalization Certificate and Petition Receipt.

I called CSC today and check the case status online but they have not updated it yet. Now I'm scared that it will delay the process again. We've been married for 5 years and been separated for 5 years too. And when you know that he will be here soon, you do not want any circumstances that will jeopardize and delay it.

I need some insights. I am looking to some posters timelines and it seems like in 3 months my husband should be interviewed. (Although, I know that not all cases are the same).

Thanks in advance.

Jonah

Dec. 01, 2005 - Applied I-130 PR

Dec. 08, 2005 - Received NOA1

Sep. 28, 2008 - Called CSC to upgrade I-130 TO IR1

Oct. 08, 2008 - Received a letter from CSC

Oct. 17, 2008 - I-130 petition approved (online)

Oct. 22, 2008 - NOA2 received by mail

Oct. 29, 2008 - DS3032 and AOS generated

Oct. 30, 2008 - DS3032 sent to NVC via email

Nov. 01, 2008 - Receive DS3032 and AOS Bill by mail - DS3032 sent to NVC by mail

Nov. 01, 2008 - Paid AOS online

Nov. 04, 2008 - DS3032 received by NVC

Nov. 04, 2008 - Paid IV Bill online

Nov. 05, 2008 - AOS Document Sent to NVC Overnight

Nov. 12, 2008 - DS230 Documents sent to NVC Overnight

Dec. 08, 2008 - CASE COMPLETE

Feb. 18, 2008 - Medical - PASSED

Feb. 25, 2009 – INTERVIEW – MANILA - PASSED "Thank you Lord"

Apr. 03, 2009 - Finally United after 6 years.

Apr. 15, 2009 - SS card received.

Here are my answers having done this last year:

1. You can upgrade this via the USCIS help line. A "touch" should result within a few days. You might need to check back later to see that the upgrade went through, using the RFE trick at the service center if necessary.

2. The official priority date used at NVC and at the embassy is that one you filed the I-130 on. However, USCIS may likely consider the priority date to be the date of the upgrade request, meaning that the 3 months of waiting have amounted to nothing except to make your case more complicated.

3. There are advantages for simultaneous k3 filing, but it takes some effort.

Hello Friends,

Thanks in Advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.