CoolHand2x2y2z

What's it like after getting the first "No!" at the interview?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You get very hopeful and excited as the interview day approaches. And then the tension is HUGE right before the interview.

BAM! Your world is badly shaken. You have to do your best to pick each other up and not lose it (I didn't handle it very well, I must admit). It can get pretty dark right afterward, especially if you have been planning and waiting for a very long time.

Then there's the recovery phase, where you try to figure out what can be done. Hopefully, the rejection letter (whichever color it happens to be) gives you enough time. Our white paper said a year, for whatever it's worth.

Now, as we are getting everything ready for the second submission and the wait at "window B" or whatever and the long wait on the seat as they go through everything, we don't dare get hopeful at all. [We're taking our time and not rushing to make sure everything is the best that we can offer up, maybe in two weeks' time.]

Both of us have pretty much decided to not let their decision overwhelm us, not this time. It's potluck and anybody's guess as to how they will decide. What if the CO had a bad morning? What if the CO is overworked and doesn't care? Yeah, it's just a judgment call...

It's strange to have your life in a suspended mode as you approach the unknown.

Basically, we either are going to live in America or in Asia; we will NOT let the some dude and a visa keep us apart.

Edited by 2x2y2z

Wedding in Vietnam: 12/25/2005 (graduate school, below poverty line, couldn't apply)
[b]August 27, 2007[/b]: 1st I-130 packet sent w/incorrect $190 instead of new $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
October 6, 2007: 2nd I-130 packet with $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
January 10, 2008: NOA1 March 31, 2008: NOA2 (approved & sent to NVC)
April 14, 2008: NVC sent AOS Fee Bill (Affidavit of Support) $70.00 & DS-3032 form
Received.
April 15, 2008: Faxed wife the DS-3032 agent form to be mailed from Vietnam.
May 5, 2008: NVC sent request for Affidavit of Support form. May 19. 2008: received NVC's request for Affidavit of Support form.
May 20, 2008: Sent off I-864, Affidavit of Support May 30, 2008: Received IV Fee bill for $400 --money order & sent by Priority Mail.
June 10, 2008: I-864 approved. June 11, 2008: IV fee entered in system. June 16, 2008: DS-230 barcode issued
June 30, 2008: DS-230 mailed by expressed mail July 3, 2008: DS-230 package arrived at NVC & under review
July 11, 2008: Case completed at NVC.
Sept. 5th, 2008: INTERVIEW DATE at HCMC: White paper with writing.
March 26, 2009: Resubmit.
[b]DENIED. June 2009: case sent back & received at USCIS[/b]
August 2009: filed new I-130. Approved after first I-130 case sent to VN, again.
February 2010: USCIS contacted & asked for more evidence
March 2010: USCIS re-approved original case.
April 14, 2010: Consulate sends DS-230
June 15, 2010: Interview Date (Blue issued)
July 13, 2010 Placed on AP -yippee!
Sept. 13, 2010 Consulate home visit
[b]Nov. 5, 2010 Approval letter sent.[/b]
[b]Nov. 19, 2010 Visa picked up. Arrival: Nov. 24, 2010[/b]

• 2 weeks later...
You get very hopeful and excited as the interview day approaches. And then the tension is HUGE right before the interview.

BAM! Your world is badly shaken. You have to do your best to pick each other up and not lose it (I didn't handle it very well, I must admit). It can get pretty dark right afterward, especially if you have been planning and waiting for a very long time.

Then there's the recovery phase, where you try to figure out what can be done. Hopefully, the rejection letter (whichever color it happens to be) gives you enough time. Our white paper said a year, for whatever it's worth.

Now, as we are getting everything ready for the second submission and the wait at "window B" or whatever and the long wait on the seat as they go through everything, we don't dare get hopeful at all. [We're taking our time and not rushing to make sure everything is the best that we can offer up, maybe in two weeks' time.]

Both of us have pretty much decided to not let their decision overwhelm us, not this time. It's potluck and anybody's guess as to how they will decide. What if the CO had a bad morning? What if the CO is overworked and doesn't care? Yeah, it's just a judgment call...

Basically, we either are going to live in America or in Asia; we will NOT let the some dude and a visa keep us apart.

That's the spirit! Chin up and eyes toward the future. Don't let them get you down! :yes:

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That's the spirit! Chin up and eyes toward the future. Don't let them get you down! :yes:

I agree! I have thought about living in Vietnam with my sweetheart, I have known him for a few years now and we have talked about that option. I was born in the U.S. but I have relatives in Vietnam, so I wouldn't be alone there. It is what I will be doing if he doesn't get pink at his interview. I won't let somebody's poor judgement and narrow mindedness keep us apart. Just look at it like love is taking your life to a place you never thought you would go, down a new road. Perhaps living in Asia was your destiny after all and you will have an even better life there. I wish you all the best

Bug

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

it's sad at first. you get the denial, you feel sorry for your wife. then you become a bit self rightous. you begin to develop a gameplan. you think the counsulate will listen to your side of the story. you think they have to listen to you because you are an american citizen. you believe you have that right because you have a US passport. you want to show them all your evidence, you want to go to the conuate and demand to talk to an officer regarding your case. you are a taxpayer and they work for you type of metality. once you realize you are not in kansas, you start thinking about alternatives. should i ask my senator for help, should i hire an attorney, should we file another case, is all this even worth it, should we call it off and just separate. then you just become helpless and confused. what do i do now? you want to belive this will all work out, but maybe it won't. how long do you hold on for? should i move to vietnam? just some of my thoughts. i may be off base a bit or a little pestimistic but that's how i felt .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
it's sad at first. you get the denial, you feel sorry for your wife. then you become a bit self rightous. you begin to develop a gameplan. you think the counsulate will listen to your side of the story. you think they have to listen to you because you are an american citizen. you believe you have that right because you have a US passport. you want to show them all your evidence, you want to go to the conuate and demand to talk to an officer regarding your case. you are a taxpayer and they work for you type of metality. once you realize you are not in kansas, you start thinking about alternatives. should i ask my senator for help, should i hire an attorney, should we file another case, is all this even worth it, should we call it off and just separate. then you just become helpless and confused. what do i do now? you want to belive this will all work out, but maybe it won't. how long do you hold on for? should i move to vietnam? just some of my thoughts. i may be off base a bit or a little pestimistic but that's how i felt .

Yea what he said. :wacko:

Jack & Xuan

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F NOA1 : 3/10/08

I-129F NOA2 : 7/17/08

NVC Left : 7/25/08

Consulate Received : 8/4/08

Packet 3 Received : 8/8/08

Packet 4 Received : 9/12/08

Interview Date : 10/7/08

Received Green Sheet: 10/7/08

Turned in requested doc's for Green Sheet: 10/15/08

Got blue slip that says to wait for decision: 10/15/08

Still Waiting on a decision 11/22/08

Stilllll Waiting on a decision 2/2/09

Got a call with questions from the embassy3/9/09

Request sent to State Dept. to remove ineligibility status: 4/19/09

Approval letter recieved: 4/25/09

Pink Sheet: 4/27/09

Visa Received : 5/19/09

US Entry : 5/21/09

Marriage : 5/27/09

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

• 2 months later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Our K1 was denied on nov 28th and sent back. We are thinking of getting married and doing a K3 the sad thing is i'm worried that it will not help or the results will be any different. I think once you fail they won't trust you again but I could be wrong.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-04

Interview Date : 2008-11-06

Interview Result : Denied 2008-12-05

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Marriage : 2009-04-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-29

I-130 Approved : 2009-09-09

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 4 Received : 2009-11-13

Interview Date : 2009-12-23

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-01-07

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

By my side happy everafter 02-19-10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

It is sad to think that some person can decide if YOUR relationship is bonafide, no matter the proof! I swear I think they say no sometimes because they had a bad day.

I am sorry to anyone who has received that *NO* it makes my heart break for you all and I hope something can be done!!!

1000718m.th.jpg

07/15/08[/font] Sent off I 129F

07/17/08 Arrived and picked up by CSC

07/25/08 NOA-1 FINALLY!!!!

07/31/08 CHECK WAS CASHED!

07/28/08 touched!!

12/08/08 NOA2 FINALLY!

12/13/08 NOA2 received in the mail

12/18/08 Called NVC at (603)334-0700 and talked to a nice lady named Rose. Our case was received on the13th and was sent out to sydney...WE WILL SEE!

12/13/08 NVC received letter and said they sent out to Sydney

12/18/08 received letter in the mail from NVC.

12/19/08 another letter from NVC stating it was shipped out

12/24/08 ARRIVED IN SYDNEY at 10:26 am and signed by tom

12/29/08 CONFIRMED it is at Sydney and Good ol Tom did sign for it LOL THANKS TOM!!

12/29/08 Sydney waiting for paper file from nvc and has it requested

12/31/08 Sydney confirmed through email that the paper file was received

01/05/09 His police checks are done and sent off!!

01/28/09 Kai went to his medicals forgot one of his passport pics and needs two more shots all was good!

2/18/09 medicals ready to be picked

2/20/09 packet 3 sent in

2/26/09 pkt 3 received today takes UP to 10 days

04/07/09 interview....APPROVED!!!!

04/20/09 He flew in ..flight was changed he was 3 hours late BUT HE IS HOME

port of entry took 2 mins!! LOL

04/25/09 WE ARE MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.