Bucur

Questions about divorse / Please help

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello all, I come with bad news. My wife has found the green card more important than the marriage itself and I am now faced with getting a divorse. If anyone can help me with the following questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Please note my wife is now in the U.S and has not ived with me since her arrival.

1. I married my wife in her country (E. Europe) I am not sure how or where to file the divorse papers. Looking at the papers they state to file in the same county as the marriage however the marriage was never in the U.S

2. I have neve registered the marriage in the U.S what type of record do they have of the marriage?

3. My wife is stating that I am not her sponsor, however I was upon her coming to the U.S (she is here on a K-3) I was under the assumption that sponsorship was non-transferable?? (I have never signed any papers authorizing anything of the sort)

4. My wife is trying to also prove neglect on my part so that she can stay in the country. She has already filed and been granted a restraining order against me for a year??? Is it that easy to do? I have never done anything against her in any way and this again, is nothing more than an abvious attempt to dis-credit me as a person to show neglect so she can stay in the U.S

5. Any solid advice would be appreciated. I am not financially in the position to hire an immigration attorney so I thank you all for anything you can provide me with regarding information partaining to my situation.

Respectfully,

Bucur

Filed: Timeline
Hello all, I come with bad news. My wife has found the green card more important than the marriage itself and I am now faced with getting a divorse. If anyone can help me with the following questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Please note my wife is now in the U.S and has not ived with me since her arrival.

1. I married my wife in her country (E. Europe) I am not sure how or where to file the divorse papers. Looking at the papers they state to file in the same county as the marriage however the marriage was never in the U.S

2. I have neve registered the marriage in the U.S what type of record do they have of the marriage?

3. My wife is stating that I am not her sponsor, however I was upon her coming to the U.S (she is here on a K-3) I was under the assumption that sponsorship was non-transferable?? (I have never signed any papers authorizing anything of the sort)

4. My wife is trying to also prove neglect on my part so that she can stay in the country. She has already filed and been granted a restraining order against me for a year??? Is it that easy to do? I have never done anything against her in any way and this again, is nothing more than an abvious attempt to dis-credit me as a person to show neglect so she can stay in the U.S

5. Any solid advice would be appreciated. I am not financially in the position to hire an immigration attorney so I thank you all for anything you can provide me with regarding information partaining to my situation.

Respectfully,

Bucur

Bucur,

I think your wife is playing mind games. If she is here on a K-3, then YES, you are her sponsor. Why did you two not live together? How could she file a restraining order against you? Did you threaten her? I'm sure that a VJ member can give you answers, but you must disclose all details. This just isn't adding up.

One thing that is for sure is that the K-3 visa will expire thirty days after your divorce is final. The only exception is if your wife can prove that she has been neglected. Please read the information below-

The USCIS only admits K-3 spouses for a two-year period. The USCIS may grant extensions of K-3 visas in two-year increments if the marriage-based I-130 visa petition, the adjustment of status application, or the immigrant visa petition is still awaiting adjudication.

A K-3 visa holder's authorized stay will expire thirty days after any of the following events:

a. The USCIS denies the I-130 visa petition filed by the United States citizen petitioner on the K-3 visa holder's behalf;

b. The USCIS denies an adjustment of status application filed by the K visa holder; or

c. If for some reason, the K-3 visa holder decides to apply for an immigrant visa at the appropriate United States consulate abroad, the consulate denies the immigrant visa application.

d. Termination also will automatically occur 30 days after the divorce of the K-3 spouse from the United States citizen petitioner.

SEE ITEM D.

I hope that this information helps!

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Mrs. Scott thank you for the reply. Here are the facts.

There was never any abuse outside of a few arguments, which are arguments not abuse. One week upon her entering into the US I had to move back to the west coast (at the time she met me on the east coast) we were to meet at the airport to fly back and she never showed up. I could not stay so I had to go. I spoke to her the following day and she stated that the east coast reminded her of her country so she wanted to stay a bit longer before meeting me on the west coast. I said ok. During her time on the East coast she befriended a family from the EU. At some pont she decided she did not want to be married to me and stared getting advice from them as to how she could go about this. They informed her if she showed abuse on my part she could stay and not be deported back by ICE. I learned this through several conversations with her. She then told me if I wanted to ever see her I would first have to get her her green card. I said I did not marry out of her citizenship but out of love and I would not do that. I then decided that the marriage would not work, based again off the conversation, and filed for divorse. She aoided the paperwork 4 times and upon the fith time, which she again sidestepped she filed a restraining order against me for harrasment as I am told. (note the first four ties were done through mail and the fith through a person I knew that tried to serve her.) I have not spoken to her since Feb of this year. The family she is living with has informed another person that her sponsporship has been transftered to them and is no longer with me. I have contacted Homeland Security and have given them her information. They said they are currently investigating the situation. It has been over 3 months now. I just want this all over. I want a divorse that all so that I can continue my life.

Those are the facts.

Regards.

P.S she has been in the US since Feb on a K-3. I have not filed her green card paperwork, however I am under the suspicion that it has been done without my knowing for she has all the papework with my info on it. Social Security numbers etc. etc.

Respectfully,

Bucur

Bucur,

I think your wife is playing mind games. If she is here on a K-3, then YES, you are her sponsor. Why did you two not live together? How could she file a restraining order against you? Did you threaten her? I'm sure that a VJ member can give you answers, but you must disclose all details. This just isn't adding up.

One thing that is for sure is that the K-3 visa will expire thirty days after your divorce is final. The only exception is if your wife can prove that she has been neglected. Please read the information below-

The USCIS only admits K-3 spouses for a two-year period. The USCIS may grant extensions of K-3 visas in two-year increments if the marriage-based I-130 visa petition, the adjustment of status application, or the immigrant visa petition is still awaiting adjudication.

A K-3 visa holder's authorized stay will expire thirty days after any of the following events:

a. The USCIS denies the I-130 visa petition filed by the United States citizen petitioner on the K-3 visa holder's behalf;

b. The USCIS denies an adjustment of status application filed by the K visa holder; or

c. If for some reason, the K-3 visa holder decides to apply for an immigrant visa at the appropriate United States consulate abroad, the consulate denies the immigrant visa application.

d. Termination also will automatically occur 30 days after the divorce of the K-3 spouse from the United States citizen petitioner.

SEE ITEM D.

I hope that this information helps!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

I don't know if sponshorship if transferable (it's more no than yes).

I don't believe that the fundamental problem is to know if you have registered the mariage is US or not (you send a certificate to USCIS, yes? it's the proof).

BUT

The problem is that you have a wife you want to stay in USA and if she can destroy your life to accomplish her plan, she will do it. Be aware of that.

If she did it and received it, that does mean it's easy.

Her aim is really to discredit you.

It seems me that you have to act, because if you don't do anything she will play against you, and maybe win.

and she will play unfairly: got married to an american, having a green card, refuse to live with him and having a restraining order against him.......

Ask you what will be the next step against you? And don't believe that she will care about you, or your emotion or about any morality rules.

So protect you and start to call USCIS.....

Women aren't easy sometimes, they can be terrible, ''monstrously terrible''.

Good luck :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.