babul

Naturalization requirements

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello,

my story starts when I applied for the naturalization process, I wasn’t married, so in the application I put as not married. After like a month I got married and I have my interview in this month.

I heard that there going to ask about my spouse’s information.

I want to know what kind of information do they ask for???

And also my spouse is out of status and will that effect in anyway. I am planning to sponsor my spouse after I become a citizen.

Will this affect my citizenship process??

Can they put my case on hold??

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hello,

my story starts when I applied for the naturalization process, I wasn’t married, so in the application I put as not married. After like a month I got married and I have my interview in this month.

And also my spouse is out of status and will that effect in anyway. I am planning to sponsor my spouse after I become a citizen.

thanks

Believe your marriage status only holds true if you are applying for the three year marriage privilege. Ha, was tempted to wait with my wife for another two years, would have saved gathering a ton of evidence, but we wanted our freedom from the USCIS. Understand you don't have to do that for the five year wait. Your major concern should be meeting the requirements for how much time you spent out of this country.

What do you mean by your new spouse is out of status, expired visa, green card, I-94? Sounds like that really requires attention, is your spouse here illegally or living in a different country? If a different country, would be far better off to get your USC to bring your spouse here.

Hello,

thanks

I don't think so.

Information interview officer will ask for your marriage is to correct N400 application form.

They want to update the information for any change while you are waiting for N400 interview.

They will interview and make the decision based on the info for yourself only.

Did you file I-130 for your wife yet?

If you didn't, you can file for it as spouse of LPR, then you can upgrade it when you have your certificate of Naturalization in your hands.

Edited by moonhunt

Timeline
Hello,

thanks

I don't think so.

Information interview officer will ask for your marriage is to correct N400 application form.

They want to update the information for any change while you are waiting for N400 interview.

They will interview and make the decision based on the info for yourself only.

Did you file I-130 for your wife yet?

If you didn't, you can file for it as spouse of LPR, then you can upgrade it when you have your certificate of Naturalization in your hands.

That is certainly true, least in my wife's interview, goes over the N-400 line by line for any changes since the application was submitted, are you sure you didn't divorce your husband, you know that guy that waved to me and I didn't wave back. If that wasn't enough, about the same thing between the interview and the oath, ha, then you are finally free to mess around, if that is your thing.

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hello,

thanks

Believe your marriage status only holds true if you are applying for the three year marriage privilege. Ha, was tempted to wait with my wife for another two years, would have saved gathering a ton of evidence, but we wanted our freedom from the USCIS. Understand you don't have to do that for the five year wait. Your major concern should be meeting the requirements for how much time you spent out of this country.

What do you mean by your new spouse is out of status, expired visa, green card, I-94? Sounds like that really requires attention, is your spouse here illegally or living in a different country? If a different country, would be far better off to get your USC to bring your spouse here.

by out of status i mean expired student visa. On the application it asks if my spouse is a US citizen, Resident or other. Now is "other" all they need me to say or will they want to know what specifically "other" means? My main concern is if they find out my spouse is illegal will that affect me. Can they revoke me for that?

also, will they ask for his tax id?

Can anyone just tell me of anything that might go wrong with us?

Timeline
Hello,

thanks

by out of status i mean expired student visa. On the application it asks if my spouse is a US citizen, Resident or other. Now is "other" all they need me to say or will they want to know what specifically "other" means? My main concern is if they find out my spouse is illegal will that affect me. Can they revoke me for that?

This is way over my head with all the time and money I spent to bring my wife and her daughter here legally. You have to be 100% honest with anything and everything you say and write to the USA. I know I criticized them a lot, first amendment right, and would like to see the procedure changed. I can only suggest an immigration attorney at this point, one that deals with family matters and bringing them over for a permanent resident status as opposed to those that deal with visas.

I can't express how much it hurt my wife and me when we had to part while engaged to be married, we wanted to spend as much time together as we could to be sure, but when her I-94 said it was time for her to return, she returned. We knew in the long run, this would be best for both of us.

All I can say is that interview officer is supposed to be concerned on your case only, and other people's legal status such as your fiancee should NOT affect your case at all.

They just collect it for informational purpose, and to see whether your case was initiated by any illegal activities.

But if you are concerned about it, you should consult with immigration attorney.

Even though USCIS have so many internal rules and memo to standardize the decision, it is still decided by interview officer, so it is personal decision.

If he/she think otherwise, you have to spend a lot of time/money to correct it even though interview officer make wrong decision.

You better be prepared for any doubt you have.

The advise from this forum is given from same ordinary people like you.

So it doesn't guarantee 100% accuracy or legal responsibility at all.

Therefore if you want some guarantee or legal responsibility, you should better consult with immigration laywers.

Timeline

In regards to the Tax ID, that is the social security number for individual, as the USC, believe I only had to provide that for the I-130, but that was a long time ago. But not for the N-400, but certainly joint or married filing separately tax returns, least in our case, gather some do not need that evidence if not working. And you must be applying for the five year where proof of marriage is not a requirement.

In regards to your spouse overstaying his visa, that may be quite a problem, believe there is a 90 grace period, but if much longer than that, your spouse could be deported and not permitted to return for ten years. This is something that should have been thought about before the expiration occurred. Could be if you want to live with your spouse, may have to do that in a different country, again, seek the advice of a good immigration attorney. Both for you and your spouse.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.