THAWAI

K3 visa issued CR1 case on way to Embassy -Help

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wife's K3 visa issued after over 2 months in AP. While K3 was held up in AP, CR1 case moved to NVC by using I824. The CR1 was assigned Embassy case number, DS3032 and I864 fees paid and forms mailed, DS230 fee paid. Question: Can wife enter USA on K3 visa and return to Thailand when CR1 interview date is set, receive CR1 visa and reenter USA on new CR1 visa? Or does use of K3 visa stop ability to receive CR1 visa? The K3 visa is good for two year but has annotation that K3 application expires 12/5/08. The original I797 said K3 application expired May 28, 2008. The Embassy must have extended the expiration date to 12/5/08. Wife was told she needs to come to USA before 12/5/08. The entry date before 12/5/08 must activate the K3 visa which expires in two years August 2010. We want to come back to Thailand in December and spend the winter which will probably coinside with interview date.

Wife's K3 visa issued after over 2 months in AP. While K3 was held up in AP, CR1 case moved to NVC by using I824. The CR1 was assigned Embassy case number, DS3032 and I864 fees paid and forms mailed, DS230 fee paid. Question: Can wife enter USA on K3 visa and return to Thailand when CR1 interview date is set, receive CR1 visa and reenter USA on new CR1 visa? Or does use of K3 visa stop ability to receive CR1 visa? The K3 visa is good for two year but has annotation that K3 application expires 12/5/08. The original I797 said K3 application expired May 28, 2008. The Embassy must have extended the expiration date to 12/5/08. Wife was told she needs to come to USA before 12/5/08. The entry date before 12/5/08 must activate the K3 visa which expires in two years August 2010. We want to come back to Thailand in December and spend the winter which will probably coinside with interview date.

The K3 was originally meant to speed up couples reuniting in the US and then returning to their embassy and getting the CR-1. It is called the LIFE ACT. MUCH better to have the CR-1 and not deal with AOS for the K3.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The K3 was originally meant to speed up couples reuniting in the US and then returning to their embassy and getting the CR-1. It is called the LIFE ACT. MUCH better to have the CR-1 and not deal with AOS for the K3.

Do you mean if wife enters on K3 she must Adjust Status (AOS) and can not go back to Thailand and complete CR1 process and get CR1 visa, or is it optional to enter on K3 not AOS and go back to Thailand and get CR1 since CR1 case is in process to come to Thailand. I realize it is an extra trip back to Thailand but we want to come anyway. If she can come on K3, we can be together in US for a couple months and come back and get CR1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do you mean if wife enters on K3 she must Adjust Status (AOS) and can not go back to Thailand and complete CR1 process and get CR1 visa, or is it optional to enter on K3 not AOS and go back to Thailand and get CR1 since CR1 case is in process to come to Thailand. I realize it is an extra trip back to Thailand but we want to come anyway. If she can come on K3, we can be together in US for a couple months and come back and get CR1.

You can return to Thailand for the interview and get the CR1. The K3 will be valid until then and can be used to enter the USA (multi-entry) for up to two years. You do not have to file AOS upon entry with the K3 (can actually wait until 90 days of visa expiry date). There have been several couples on here that have done both the K3 and CR1.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

You can return to Thailand for the interview and get the CR1. The K3 will be valid until then and can be used to enter the USA (multi-entry) for up to two years. You do not have to file AOS upon entry with the K3 (can actually wait until 90 days of visa expiry date). There have been several couples on here that have done both the K3 and CR1.

I know John is right. My kids are trying to go that route. My only hesitance would be the possibility of a CR1 being denied even though the K-3 was approved. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I think someone at another embassy had that happen (probably at Casa) and their K-3 was revoked at the CR1 interview. Bangkok should be safer.

Thai Mom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.