JeffnBhing

Marriage certificate no new last name?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our marriage certificate has my name and Bhings name, there is no place where it indicates her last name being changed. We have went to the courthouse with no specific answer. What do we do regarding this issue and the AOS application? I guess they changed this recently in Michigan.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I-129F mailed 12-17-2007

Received at CSC 12-18-2007

NOA1 December 19 2007

NOA2 April 30 2008

NVC sent packet to Manila May 12 2008

Interview set for June 18

Visa Denial, Contested & Approved

PDOS June 23

Flight to USA June 26

Arrival at DTW Visa accepted

Welcome to America!!!

Married 07/18/2008

Applied SS 07/22/09

Applied AOS around same time

Very happily married

EAD received Sept.

AP received Sept

No RFE's ...??

AOS Appointment 04-02-2009

AOS approved! Green card to be sent 3-6 weeks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Our marriage certificate has my name and Bhings name, there is no place where it indicates her last name being changed. We have went to the courthouse with no specific answer. What do we do regarding this issue and the AOS application? I guess they changed this recently in Michigan.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Hi there..your wife's name in your marriage certificate was in her maiden name because you were not married yet when you filed for marriage license and its the exact copy. That's not a problem with AOS application. Its up to you and her which will she choose to put in her greencard if she would retain her maiden name,put a hyphen between her maiden surname and your surname OR use your surname solely. Like me, I wanted to carry my husband's name so I put that in my AOS application. Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by richo

USflag.gifr.gifi.gifc.gifh.gifo.gifphilippine_flag.gif

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

July 21, 2008---(ORIGINAL) NOA1 for AOS & EAD

July 29, 2008---"WALK-IN" BIOMETRICS DONE (AOS & EAD-1)

Oct 14, 2008---EAD1 CARD ARRIVES! Approval date is Oct. 2, 2008

Dec 10, 2008---INTERVIEW DAY! APPROVED!!!

Dec 17, 2008---WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

Jan 9, 2009---CARD RECEIVED FINALLY! Approval date 12-10-08..expires on 12-10-10

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Sept 10,2010---REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

Sept 10,2011---Application for citizenship

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Perfect!!! Thanks much

I-129F mailed 12-17-2007

Received at CSC 12-18-2007

NOA1 December 19 2007

NOA2 April 30 2008

NVC sent packet to Manila May 12 2008

Interview set for June 18

Visa Denial, Contested & Approved

PDOS June 23

Flight to USA June 26

Arrival at DTW Visa accepted

Welcome to America!!!

Married 07/18/2008

Applied SS 07/22/09

Applied AOS around same time

Very happily married

EAD received Sept.

AP received Sept

No RFE's ...??

AOS Appointment 04-02-2009

AOS approved! Green card to be sent 3-6 weeks

Filed: IR-5 Country: Tunisia
Timeline
Perfect!!! Thanks much

My husband and I were married in South Carolina and our marriage certificate is the same as yours which is normal. I have chosen to hyphenate and that is the name that I have used on all my AOS applications. My new SS Card does not have the hyphen but it does reflect both my maiden and married names. I guess it's up to you and your wife to decide what her last name shall be.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I decided to keep my maiden name until we were through with the process, and then I might possibly hyphenate. I thought it would negate any possible issues that could arise with a name change. Though I understand why it is important to some women to change their name.

wtf-picard.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.