angie007

confused

5 posts in this topic

hey guys...i'm really confused, I can't decide wether i'd go to U.S. or no..Im expecting my P3 this week.I love my fiance but I really like staying in Canada..I am not a citizen here, I only am a resident and from what I know (correct me If i'm wrong) if Im not present in Canada for 6 months or a year maybe, my status as a permanent resident will no longer be valid...is that right? Does anyone of you guys know how can I keep my being a permanent resident in Canada while living in the U.S?, coz even if i move to U.S, i still plan on coming back here...I just have to work on convincing my fiance once i live for a while in tha U.S.,It's not gonna be a problem if i'm a citizen but I am not..so any advice? Also, i like the life i'm building here right now,if I move to U.S,i'm gonna start all over...please anyone who has advise for me?thanks

May 2000 - first time we met

June 2000 - started dating

Feb.16, 2008 - filed for K1

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

July 31, 2008 - Package received ny NVC

Aug. 5, 2008 -Recieved by Montreal Consulate

Sept.12, 2008 -Packet 3 received

Sept.17, 2008 -Packet 3 sent

Dec. 12, 2008 -Packet 4 received

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 20, 2009 - K1 visa received

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

April 9, 2009 - filed for application

April 15, 2009 - NOA received for I-1485,EAD, & AP

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

May 26, 2009 - AP received

May 26, 2009 - card production ordered for EAD

June 5, 2009 - EAD received

July 7, 2009 - Interview appointment received

Aug 20, 2009 - Interview---approved

Sept 2, 2009 - Card recieved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
hey guys...i'm really confused, I can't decide wether i'd go to U.S. or no..Im expecting my P3 this week.I love my fiance but I really like staying in Canada..I am not a citizen here, I only am a resident and from what I know (correct me If i'm wrong) if Im not present in Canada for 6 months or a year maybe, my status as a permanent resident will no longer be valid...is that right? Does anyone of you guys know how can I keep my being a permanent resident in Canada while living in the U.S?, coz even if i move to U.S, i still plan on coming back here...I just have to work on convincing my fiance once i live for a while in tha U.S.,It's not gonna be a problem if i'm a citizen but I am not..so any advice? Also, i like the life i'm building here right now,if I move to U.S,i'm gonna start all over...please anyone who has advise for me?thanks

Hi Angie,

You must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period, or you will lose your Canadian Permanent Residency. You might want to check out this information:

Keeping your permanent resident status

Your permanent resident status allows you to live in Canada, but there is also a time limit on how long you can live outside the country. To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.

For further information on residency obligations, please see Appendix A of Applying for a Permanent Resident Card, which can be found under Find an Application Form or Guide in the I Need To… section of this page.

Hi Angie,

You must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period, or you will lose your Canadian Permanent Residency. You might want to check out this information:

Your permanent resident status allows you to live in Canada, but there is also a time limit on how long you can live outside the country. To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.

For further information on residency obligations, please see Appendix A of Applying for a Permanent Resident Card, which can be found under Find an Application Form or Guide in the I Need To… section of this page.

thanks a lot..i appreciate your reply so much...and i hope you wont mind me asking too...is it nice to live in the U.S..i've been worried since i watch sicko, and i know apartment rentals and houses are much more expensive there...my fiance lives in San Francisco

Edited by angie007

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Angie,

thanks a lot..i appreciate your reply so much...and i hope you wont mind me asking too...is it nice to live in the U.S..i've been worried since i watch sicko, and i know apartment rentals and houses are much more expensive there...my fiance lives in San Francisco

Hi Angie,

Well it depends where you live I guess and what your expectations are.

Have you been to spend time with your fiance in San Francisco? I would recommend that you go and spend at least a month there with him before committing to the move, but that's just my opinion.

Hi Angie,

Hi Angie,

Well it depends where you live I guess and what your expectations are.

Have you been to spend time with your fiance in San Francisco? I would recommend that you go and spend at least a month there with him before committing to the move, but that's just my opinion.

thanks trailmix...i've never been there,because when I was trying to go,the consulate denied me for a visa..so i got stuck thinking how is it really in there, our plan was for me to stay there for a month so at least i knew how it is like living in there before we start the fiancee petition, but like i said i got denied for a visitor's visa...maybe you're right ,if I get approved for fiancee visa, i will still go,but if I dont feel like living in there, i'll come back here with him, wether he likes it or not, I just have to come up with a big convincing drama...ha..ha..

Edited by angie007

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.