senyorita80

Did NOT inform USCIS of my new address...

4 posts in this topic

Im not THAT forgetful. When we moved to another apartment 2+ yrs ago, we informed USCIS by mailing the required form immediately, that was when my green card approval was pending. So

Then a YEAR AGO, when everything was doing great in terms of $$$, we bought & moved to a house. We were very excited to be a homeowner and such and never thought of reporting my address again.. maybe because I thought I was already a permanent resident and that such thing isn't necessary.

Well I was reading USCIS' site and found out they fine up to $200 if you fail to inform them within 10 days...

help? $200 thats not cheap. :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Im not THAT forgetful. When we moved to another apartment 2+ yrs ago, we informed USCIS by mailing the required form immediately, that was when my green card approval was pending. So

Then a YEAR AGO, when everything was doing great in terms of $$$, we bought & moved to a house. We were very excited to be a homeowner and such and never thought of reporting my address again.. maybe because I thought I was already a permanent resident and that such thing isn't necessary.

Well I was reading USCIS' site and found out they fine up to $200 if you fail to inform them within 10 days...

help? $200 thats not cheap. :unsure:

Just one of the many restrictions of that green card, was thinking of having my wife's card permanently stitched to her forehead so she is always carrying it with her without fear of someone stealing her purse, that is also extremely expensive not to mention trying to maintain a foreign passport when you don't even live there. And how can they call it a permanent resident card when it has to be constantly renewed, something else to remember. Still have to pay FICA full taxes, but don't get all the benefits, can't vote, nor get a government job. And treated like a second class citizen one step above an illegal.

For 21 months had a big sign posted on my refrigerator door to send in the I-751, we are talking about moving, probably should paste an AR-11 in it's place. Already applied for her N-400 thinking that will be finished before ten years, but at the rate they are going, should also post a reminder to renew her card in ten years.

All you can do is send in your AR-11 and see what happens. Live near a steep hill, have to remember to down shift to save on brakes as a dirty rotten cop is hidden behind the bushes just waiting to give me a ticket, that is also about a 200 fine. Don't want to forget to pay taxes either. Things to remember list is endless. Ha, both my wife and I forget our last wedding anniversary, but we forgave each other.

Hopefully that oath letter will come in soon, so we can forget about the USCIS, has been over five years of this #######.

I also forgot to update them of our new address when we last moved. Once I started getting ready to gather stuff for the I-751 I remembered. I filled out the form online and never heard a bad word from USCIS about it, it was over a year late too. So just update your address when you can and hope for the best :innocent:

Edited by Irish Lass

My Timeline:

O1 Visa ~

Jan 2000 - Job offer in US

Jan 2000 -O1 Visa application started

March 2000 - Entered US on tourist visa to check out new job

July 2000 - Return to Ireland to have Passport updated

July 2000 - Return to US with O1 visa valid for 2 years

Dec 2001 - Visa extended to Dec 2004

Nov 2002 - Met future Husband

April 2003 - Started Dating future husband

April 2004 - Married :)

AOS ~

Nov 2004 - I-485 received

Nov 2004 - I-130 received

Nov 2004 - I-765 received

Aug 2005 - Biometrics

Jan 2006 - Initial Interview

Jan 2006- I-765 received

March 2006 - Biometrics

April 2006 - Green Card issued for 2 years (Total 1.5 years)

Removal of Conditions ~

March 2008 - I-751 received

March 2008 - 1 year extension

April 2008 - Biometrics

July 5th, 2008 - Request for Evidence

Aug 4th, 2008 - Mailed RFE

Aug 11th, 2008 - :) Card production ordered

Aug 18th, 2008 - 10 year Card Received :)(Total 5 months)

Other stuff ~

Sep 26, 2008 - Form I-90 mailed for name change from maiden on GC

Sep 30, 2008 - Check cashed for $370

Oct 3, 2008 - NOA received

Oct 20, 2008 - Biometrics

USflag.gifIreflag.gif

JP................................ Lorna

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.