iteachkids81

montreal k-1 interview review

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I arrived in Montreal Thursday night, via Greyhound. Stayed at the Suites Labelle on Labelle Street (right of st Catherines, a 3 minute walk from the greyhound station).

In the morning I took the 20 minute walk down Rene Levesque Blvd to the consulate. I arrived at 7am and there were 5 people ahead of me. I saw "DanandAmy" and we chatted a bit. Fortunately someone else in line mentioned to me that the fee was payable CASH ONLY and held the spot for me while I ran around the corner to an ATM.

The doors opened at 7:30 and they let in the first 5 people. I was next in line. Once I got through and was scanned through security the guards told me. "we ran out of plastic letters. when the security guard comes to take the first group up, tell him you need to go to window 9 with that group. tell him we told you we had no more letters" (the people ahead of me all had plastic tiles with letters A-E on them)

I went down to the waiting room. the security guard came and asked for people with the letters. they all lined up. I explained to him what the guards upstairs had said and he said "you have no letter, sit down" well, I'm not one to mess with a 6'4 tall scary lookin dude. so I sat.

15 minutes later he comes and lets us all into the elevator (well as many as could fit) we get up there and he says "if you were told window 14 go here, window 13 go here" I said "I was told window 9" he says. "have a seat" So I sat. and he brings up the rest of the people who were waiting, and they go into their lines, and then he asks where I am supposed to go. he tells me window 14. So there was no point in me coming early, since a whole elevator full of people get in line ahead of me. (this is just the line where you show them your appointment letter and they assign you a number)

I am assigned C11. the people who were behind me in line outside are C1. I was not happy about this. Thankfully i did bring a book.

When my number got called (an hour or so later) I went to a window and gave the lady all my paperwork, passport, birth cert, medical papers, proof of fiance's income, letter of intent, crim check. she then gave me a piece of paper and told me to pay the fee at window 14 and then when she called me back to give her the reciept).

I paid and then waited another 2 hours for her to call me back. then she took my fingerprints (electronically) and had me sign a couple of things I had forgotten to sign previously.

Then I waited again. Another couple hours. Finally at 1:00 they called my name. I stepped into the little room and the guy took a finger print for verification. He asked me to raise my right hand and swear I was telling the truth. He asked how I met Rich. What website, what date. so I told him the story. He asked when and where we met in person. I mentioned I had been teaching on a J-1 in NYC and he asked if I plan to teach when I go back. I said yes or childcare. He asked about wedding plans, and what is Rich's job. Then he said, "I have no doubt you guys are in a relationship. I'm going to issue your visa" and he explained that when the envelope arrives there will be 3 things, the passport with the visa, an info sheet and a envelope with all the papers that is sealed and is to be opened at the border upon entry to the US. He reminded me that I must move within 6 months and to make sure to get married within 90 days of moving. I told him we had already figured out the math.

He smiled and wished me a good day. I never got his name. I didnt have to show him any proof. no pics, no phone bills, bus tickets, engagement cards... nothing.

then I ran back to my hotel just as i got there it started to rain hard. I checked out and ran to the bus (as by then it was pouring buckets). called and texted people to let them know.

overall it was ok. just a LOT of waiting and that stupid security guard on a powertrip!

I 29F sent to VSC FEB 7, 2008 (K1)

Packet 3 recieved in May sometime

Medical done June 10/08

Packet 3 documents completed and sent out July 08/ 08

Packet 4 received July 28 (letter dated July 21)

Interview Aug 15, 2008 APPROVED!!!!!!!

Received Visa in mail Aug 20!

Moved to NY Dec 6, 2008!!!

Wedding Feb 28, 2009

Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization and Advanced Parole Forms all sent to chicago- Mar 12/09

Received Mar 16/09

NOAs for all dated Mar 20/09

HONEYMOON in DisneyWorld: Mar 21-29

Biometrics appt: Apr 8/09

"Welcome to USA" Letter received May 19/09

Green Card received May 26/09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm glad you were approved, congratulations!!

Sorry about the wait part.

My fiance thought I was crazy for getting there at like 6:30 but I was thankful.

Best of luck on the move!!! :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

My fiance thought I was crazy for getting there at like 6:30 but I was thankful.

I wish I had gotten there a little earlier, but I was sluggish... ah well. I finished a book and started a new one while i was there. (finished it on the bus later this weekend as I was travelling between montreal, ottawa and hamilton) Lots of bus time logged this weekend.

will be moving dec 7. wedding will be feb 28

Medical done June 10/08

Wedding Feb 28, 2009

Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization and Advanced Parole Forms all sent to chicago- Mar 12/09

Received Mar 16/09

I wish I had gotten there a little earlier, but I was sluggish... ah well. I finished a book and started a new one while i was there. (finished it on the bus later this weekend as I was travelling between montreal, ottawa and hamilton) Lots of bus time logged this weekend.

will be moving dec 7. wedding will be feb 28

Wow, that's a long time to wait to move....I don't know if I would have been able to wait that long knowing I had a document in my hand that allowed me to be with the man I love.

Do what is best for you though!!

Congrats again! :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline
Wow, that's a long time to wait to move....I don't know if I would have been able to wait that long knowing I had a document in my hand that allowed me to be with the man I love.

Do what is best for you though!!

Congrats again! :)

yeah, we had originally thought the interview would be October and figured a Feb wedding would fit in the timeline. when we found out the interview was sooner, we discussed moving up the wedding date, but Feb 28 was my mom's birthday (she died 10 years ago) and we thought that it would be special to have it on that day. It still fits in the timeline so we will do it.

We're just having a standard wedding now as opposed to a small ceremony now and a bigger one later. we've got the place booked, and i've got my dress and shoes. so we are just focusing on wedding plans now for the next six months.

Medical done June 10/08

Wedding Feb 28, 2009

Received Mar 16/09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Congrats on your approval. I did the same thing. My interview was in Feb and delayed moving until the end of June.

Best of luck with everything.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

CONGRATS!! I was approved July 10th, but I'm only moving mid-November. That's what is working best for us, and I can't wait to get there and finally be together!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I arrived in Montreal Thursday night, via Greyhound. Stayed at the Suites Labelle on Labelle Street (right of st Catherines, a 3 minute walk from the greyhound station).

In the morning I took the 20 minute walk down Rene Levesque Blvd to the consulate. I arrived at 7am and there were 5 people ahead of me. I saw "DanandAmy" and we chatted a bit. Fortunately someone else in line mentioned to me that the fee was payable CASH ONLY and held the spot for me while I ran around the corner to an ATM.

The doors opened at 7:30 and they let in the first 5 people. I was next in line. Once I got through and was scanned through security the guards told me. "we ran out of plastic letters. when the security guard comes to take the first group up, tell him you need to go to window 9 with that group. tell him we told you we had no more letters" (the people ahead of me all had plastic tiles with letters A-E on them)

I went down to the waiting room. the security guard came and asked for people with the letters. they all lined up. I explained to him what the guards upstairs had said and he said "you have no letter, sit down" well, I'm not one to mess with a 6'4 tall scary lookin dude. so I sat.

15 minutes later he comes and lets us all into the elevator (well as many as could fit) we get up there and he says "if you were told window 14 go here, window 13 go here" I said "I was told window 9" he says. "have a seat" So I sat. and he brings up the rest of the people who were waiting, and they go into their lines, and then he asks where I am supposed to go. he tells me window 14. So there was no point in me coming early, since a whole elevator full of people get in line ahead of me. (this is just the line where you show them your appointment letter and they assign you a number)

I am assigned C11. the people who were behind me in line outside are C1. I was not happy about this. Thankfully i did bring a book.

When my number got called (an hour or so later) I went to a window and gave the lady all my paperwork, passport, birth cert, medical papers, proof of fiance's income, letter of intent, crim check. she then gave me a piece of paper and told me to pay the fee at window 14 and then when she called me back to give her the reciept).

I paid and then waited another 2 hours for her to call me back. then she took my fingerprints (electronically) and had me sign a couple of things I had forgotten to sign previously.

Then I waited again. Another couple hours. Finally at 1:00 they called my name. I stepped into the little room and the guy took a finger print for verification. He asked me to raise my right hand and swear I was telling the truth. He asked how I met Rich. What website, what date. so I told him the story. He asked when and where we met in person. I mentioned I had been teaching on a J-1 in NYC and he asked if I plan to teach when I go back. I said yes or childcare. He asked about wedding plans, and what is Rich's job. Then he said, "I have no doubt you guys are in a relationship. I'm going to issue your visa" and he explained that when the envelope arrives there will be 3 things, the passport with the visa, an info sheet and a envelope with all the papers that is sealed and is to be opened at the border upon entry to the US. He reminded me that I must move within 6 months and to make sure to get married within 90 days of moving. I told him we had already figured out the math.

He smiled and wished me a good day. I never got his name. I didnt have to show him any proof. no pics, no phone bills, bus tickets, engagement cards... nothing.

then I ran back to my hotel just as i got there it started to rain hard. I checked out and ran to the bus (as by then it was pouring buckets). called and texted people to let them know.

overall it was ok. just a LOT of waiting and that stupid security guard on a powertrip!

Firstly, let me congratulate you. I wasn't the first to do so, but I'll do it anyways. :lol::dance: I agree with you about the security guards, I also felt the dude with the beard was on a powertrip (Mom had to check her safety pin :o ) but he was smiling when we were leaving so maybe the bran muffin he had for breakfast kicked in. :lol: I thought that when we were in the Consulate waiting for the second coming :lol: it took too long, but compared to you that's nothing, anyways you got approved so what's a few hours. By the way, any chance that the book that you were reading was A Brief History of Time. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Congratulations! I'm preparing my packet 3 and was discouraged to see that the average wait time between receipt in Montreal of the packet and interview time was 4-6 months. They must be high-balling it? In any case I'll make sure to get everything done BEFORE I send the packet in case I get a speedy interview date.

I'm glad all went well! That must be a big relief to get that out of the way :)

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Chicago IL (transfered to California)

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2009-09-25

NOA Date : 2009-09-30

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Approved Date : 2009-11-17

Date Card Received : 2009-11-20

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago IL (transfered to California)

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2009-09-25

NOA Date : 2009-09-30

RFE(s) :

Date Received : 2009-11-10

axdob4uy4.png

Timeline
Congratulations! I'm preparing my packet 3 and was discouraged to see that the average wait time between receipt in Montreal of the packet and interview time was 4-6 months. They must be high-balling it? In any case I'll make sure to get everything done BEFORE I send the packet in case I get a speedy interview date.

I'm glad all went well! That must be a big relief to get that out of the way :)

Hi Psalm. By my calculations your interview date is set 3-4 months (83-124 days) after your NOA 2 date, not your packet 3 response. So if its all accurate you should have your interview date Nov-Dec 08.

Thanks...Carl

2008-01-30 - I-129F Sent

2008-02-05 - I-129F NOA1

2008-06-06 - I-129F NOA2

2008-06-10 - NVC Recd

2008-07-02 - Packet 3 Recd

2008-07-23 - Packet 3 Sent

2008-08-11 - Medical

2008-09-18 - Packet 4 Recd

2008-10-14 - Interview - APPROVED!

2008-11-05 - US Entry - I fly to Toronto 11/5, we drive back to California and get here 11/9

2008-11-18 - Civil Ceremony San Francisco MARRIAGE CERT and CEREMONY BOOKED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.