LOSTGURL--SOPHIA

is social security no automatic or have to apply? ---

10 posts in this topic

just like to inquire about applying social security...i called there toll free no and they said i have to apply personally because of the type of visa i had "cr1" is that true? because me and dad went to berkeley today and applied one ...they said they will mail it within 7-14 business days...thanks..im a bit worid though if the sss is automatic or applied personally..i just followed what the rep said...thanks again (im scared that if i did the wrong way my social security no is doubled.)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
just like to inquire about applying social security...i called there toll free no and they said i have to apply personally because of the type of visa i had "cr1" is that true? because me and dad went to berkeley today and applied one ...they said they will mail it within 7-14 business days...thanks..im a bit worid though if the sss is automatic or applied personally..i just followed what the rep said...thanks again (im scared that if i did the wrong way my social security no is doubled.)

In the DS-230 application form that was submitted to NVC, the applicant can indicate if he/she wants the officer at POE to automatically process the applicant's SS card.

If this is not the case, then you must go to a SSA office and apply yourself.

BTW... WELCOME to the USA Jonah!!!

In the DS-230 application form that was submitted to NVC, the applicant can indicate if he/she wants the officer at POE to automatically process the applicant's SS card.

If this is not the case, then you must go to a SSA office and apply yourself.

BTW... WELCOME to the USA Jonah!!!

thanks :thumbs::dance::star: i cant remember if i place a check on my ds230 questionare that i wanted to apply for ssn no card to be mailed at home ..and before i went to social security office today i called them and the rep said i need to apply personally...so today i went to berkeley ca ss office and applied one..im just worried that my ssn # will have 2 different nos.. and if thats the case who should i inform then?

how long did u get the ss card and green card too..for example lucky u got 10 year green card..will u still file adjustment of status

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
thanks :thumbs::dance::star: i cant remember if i place a check on my ds230 questionare that i wanted to apply for ssn no card to be mailed at home ..and before i went to social security office today i called them and the rep said i need to apply personally...so today i went to berkeley ca ss office and applied one..im just worried that my ssn # will have 2 different nos.. and if thats the case who should i inform then?

how long did u get the ss card and green card too..for example lucky u got 10 year green card..will u still file adjustment of status

Dont worry, you wont get 2 social security numbers. They will cross-reference your name. If you already have one, they wont issue you another one.

We got our SS card and 2 year conditional green card in two weeks. And no we dont have to file for Adjustment of status. We're CR1s... We're already adjusted! :-)

Also you mentioned a 10 year GC.... 90 days before your conditional GC expires, you have to file for "Lifting Conditions" (Form I-751). After filing, they will mail you a new 10 year Green Card.

For people with IR1 and NOT CR1, meaning they were married for 2 years or more, before the beneficiary's POE, they automatically get a 10 year GC at POE. Im assuming this is the case for lucky u.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

well they will issue 2 ssn numbers if you checked the box and apply for one also it happened to my wife. you just have to contact them if this happens and they will let you know which one to use. especally if you applyed for one before all your paper were entered into the system from immigration

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
well they will issue 2 ssn numbers if you checked the box and apply for one also it happened to my wife. you just have to contact them if this happens and they will let you know which one to use. especally if you applyed for one before all your paper were entered into the system from immigration

how did ur wife go about 2 ssn? i got 2 ssn one shows my full name and other shows only my first and last name. how do i solve this can i do it on the phone or i have to go to ssn office, which one to use? the one that shows my full name was the one i applied for in person and the other one was the one they assigned, mind u i did not check off the ds230 for ssn to be assigned for me.thanks for your respond.

how did ur wife go about 2 ssn? i got 2 ssn one shows my full name and other shows only my first and last name. how do i solve this can i do it on the phone or i have to go to ssn office, which one to use? the one that shows my full name was the one i applied for in person and the other one was the one they assigned, mind u i did not check off the ds230 for ssn to be assigned for me.thanks for your respond.

Yes, thats happened to me. Since I could not remember if I checked or not in ds230 questinaire i asked my hubby to help me to apply personally at SSA office. So after 2 weeks I received my SSN cards in two different envelopes. I was worried then so my hubby did call the SSA office and the personnel there ask my hubby which number I prefer to use... so he encode it and told my hubby that disregard the other number but keep the card.... I just marked the other SSN card X so that i will not get confused. So thats how I solve it! Hope this could be a help :)

janerevised043.jpg

janeandhernewcar001-1.jpg

To jonah, just pray it won't...... by the way... Im happy for you... Welcome to USA and may God be with you always.

jane

janerevised043.jpg

janeandhernewcar001-1.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Dont worry, you wont get 2 social security numbers. They will cross-reference your name. If you already have one, they wont issue you another one.

You sure about that?

OFFICE OFTHE INSPECTOR GENERAL

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

ASSESSMENT OF THE ENUMERATION AT ENTRY PROCESS

http://www.ssa.gov/oig/ADOBEPDF/audittxt/A-08-04-14093.htm

IMMIGRANTS APPLIED FOR SSNs THROUGH ENUMERATION AT ENTRY AND AT FOs

One of EAE's key features is that it allows immigrants to apply for an SSN as part of the immigration process rather than requiring that they visit an SSA FO. However, we are concerned that a number of immigrants apply for SSNs through EAE and at FOs. In fact, many immigrants visit an FO within the first week of entering the country. SSA personnel at five of the six FOs we visited told us that most immigrants who apply for SSNs through EAE also apply at an FO. Our findings appear to support their concerns.

We estimate that about 645 (about 56 percent) of the projected 1,161 immigrants with multiple SSNs visited an SSA FO within 1 week of entering the country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.