Accty

Questions on filing I-485

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi. Every one. I have some questions on filing the documents.

I'm on F-1 Visa and got married a month ago.

But, what would I put on part 2, application type, of I-485.

And on I-485, Do I need to get the foreign birth certificate from my country?

it says other record of your birth that meets the provisions of secondary evidence found in Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), 103.2(B)(2).

Can I use my visa or passport instead?

other thing is, how can I get the police clearance as part of I-485

also, can I used white-out on these documents?

Thank you all for your time!

Edited by Accty

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

it says other record of your birth that meets the provisions of secondary evidence found in Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), 103.2(B)(2).

Box #1 - In addition, you will need to have your USC husband file an I-130 (relative visa petition) concurrently with your I-485 application

You do not need a police record for time spent in the USA....

Police Records

Korean National Police Certificate (Crime-Investigation History Report: Bomjoi-Soosa Kyongreok Johoi Hoiboseo) is available to visa applicants of any nationality who are physically present in South Korea. The new KNPC now includes all serious crimes since 1945, regardless of expungement benefits under Korean law, and misdemeanors for five years, according to the Individual Information Protection Law of March 2003.

Applicants presently in Korea: Foreign nationals, regardless of visa status, and Korean citizens must apply in person at any local police station. The KNP checks non-Koreans according to the requestor’s Korean alien registration card or passport. Korean citizens must show a Korean identity card with the Korean citizen’s unique, lifetime Korean identification number, which is found on Korean national identity cards and Korean passports adjacent to the applicant’s name. KNP processing is no fee and takes less than one hour. The new KNPC bears a red ink half inch square stamp on the bottom containing the Korean characters for National Police. It is issued in Korean only and applicants must attach a complete English translation, certified as true and correct by anyone competent in Korean and English, for the visa interview. A simple computer printout of criminal records is issued with the Korean annotation for information only, has no red ink stamp and is not a KNPC for visa purposes.

Applicants outside of Korea: Unavailable.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3599.html

Forms should be neat and legible... white out is OK

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, USCIS needs the original birth certificate. I was even asked for it during my interview, even though I sent an certified copy in the package. Even my USC wife had to show her birth certificate and her US passport.

You need the birth certificate as well.

Not sure, but I would advise on not doing it, you dont want to give them any reasons to return your paperwork, and this is a really stupid reason but still sometimes they are really picky depending on the officer that is processing your application.

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Timeline

Thank you so much for answering.

But, Do I need both translated and original birth certification?

Yes, USCIS needs the original birth certificate. I was even asked for it during my interview, even though I sent an certified copy in the package. Even my USC wife had to show her birth certificate and her US passport.

Not sure, but I would advise on not doing it, you dont want to give them any reasons to return your paperwork, and this is a really stupid reason but still sometimes they are really picky depending on the officer that is processing your application.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, you need both. The original birth certificate and your passport are to certify that you are who you are saying you are and the translation so that they can understand what it says in your original birth certificate, that's the only translation you need since your passport I guess it comes with @ least 3 different languages and one of them is english.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Timeline

Thanks again!!!

Filed: Timeline

Dear Accty,

You need the Korean Family Register (or 호적등본) and it must be an original along with a certified (notarized) English translation.

GOOD LUCK!

Timeline

Thank you so much for the help, but is it what I need? becuse what I have is just regular birth certification from Korea.

Thanks again!!!

Filed: Timeline

호적등본 아니면 새로운 "가족 관계 증명서"를 이용하셔도 됩니다.

Either use the family registration document, or the newer Family Relationship Certificate (basically a birth certificate)

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the help, but is it what I need? becuse what I have is just regular birth certification from Korea.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.