dansaly

Change the name,SSN, and passport

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Hi all..

I came to US with K1 visa on July 13th and got married at the end of July. My passport will be expired in October 2009 and we plan to change my passport because I want to change my name too with my husband name. How long does it take to process the name change ?Is it practical to apply the SSN and greencard with my new name? The K1 visa will be on the old passport so do you think it will not give us any problems in the future for the new passport?We are just thinking that green card process will take 8-10months and it will be less than a year before the passport will be expired too. Thanks for the advice.

K1 VISA

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-12-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-02

Consulate Received : 2008-05-15

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interview Date : 2008-06-05

Visa Received : 2008-06-18

US Entry : 2008-07-11

Port of Entry : Washington DC

POE Date : 2008-07-11

Marriage : 2008-07-30

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed (AOS,EAD,AP) : 2008-10-06

NOA1 (AOS, EAD, AP) : 2008-10-20 (dated 2008-10-16)

Biometric Appointment Received : 2008-10-25

Biometric : 2008-11-07

AOS Transfer** : 2009-03-03

Advance Parole Date Received : 2009-04-17 (157 days)

EAD Approved Date : 2009-03-17 (162 days)

EAD Card Received : 2009-03-20

GC Approval : 2009-04-06

Greencard Received: 2009-04-23

GC approved without the interview after 6 months and few weeks. The case status online is still with the last touch on November 2008. Don't open that website too often..:-)

If you do not have any travel plans (barring emergencies) It is a good idea to start using your married name on SSN, State Id, EAD, AP and AOS. Once you get your EAD or GC you can apply for name change for your passport with your embassy in US. (Hope your embassy provides the name change service. most embassies do).

Make sure you apply for all 3 documents EAD, AP, AOS with the new name. Before you do that go get your SSN in the new name.

Note that your K1 visa is not good for travel anymore, so it's ok to apply with the new name.

Timeline
If you do not have any travel plans (barring emergencies) It is a good idea to start using your married name on SSN, State Id, EAD, AP and AOS. Once you get your EAD or GC you can apply for name change for your passport with your embassy in US. (Hope your embassy provides the name change service. most embassies do).

Make sure you apply for all 3 documents EAD, AP, AOS with the new name. Before you do that go get your SSN in the new name.

Note that your K1 visa is not good for travel anymore, so it's ok to apply with the new name.

Thank you very much for the info

K1 VISA

Adjustment of Status

GC approved without the interview after 6 months and few weeks. The case status online is still with the last touch on November 2008. Don't open that website too often..:-)

this is not how it goes! I applied for new SSN with my new name after marriage and they rejected, they made it with my old name and they said if i want to change my name, i must wait until I receive my AOS approval like after i get my GC i can change my name.

99180719_8335747db9_o.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

this is not how it goes! I applied for new SSN with my new name after marriage and they rejected, they made it with my old name and they said if i want to change my name, i must wait until I receive my AOS approval like after i get my GC i can change my name.

You may be correct. But, if the I-94 isn't expired, and won't expire within two weeks, you should be able to do the name change for SSN without the GC using the Marriage papers. This definately applies to getting the SSN the first time. No Guarantees though, they prefer to see the GC. So do the Drivers License people. The SSN people wanted a Paper other than the Marriage Certificate? A quick trip to the Courthouse fixed that. :blush::unsure:

The AOS (I did not bother with EAD or AP) should definately be done with the name change. Be sure you bring the Marriage Certificate to the Biometrics. They wouldn't let us in without it. If you have the GC, you can travel with the old name in the passport (assuming it's valid), but you should have the Marriage Certificate to save yourself hassle. We didn't, long time and confused ticket agents before they let her check in.

That's my experience and two cents worth. :blink:

Timeline

Yep.It seems easier to get the SSN or the have it changed with the new name than do it on the AOS process. We spent time worrying the unnecessary things during the K1 visa time because we had doubts on many things. Just hoping not to do the same mistake on our AOS.:-).

You may be correct. But, if the I-94 isn't expired, and won't expire within two weeks, you should be able to do the name change for SSN without the GC using the Marriage papers. This definately applies to getting the SSN the first time. No Guarantees though, they prefer to see the GC. So do the Drivers License people. The SSN people wanted a Paper other than the Marriage Certificate? A quick trip to the Courthouse fixed that. :blush::unsure:

The AOS (I did not bother with EAD or AP) should definately be done with the name change. Be sure you bring the Marriage Certificate to the Biometrics. They wouldn't let us in without it. If you have the GC, you can travel with the old name in the passport (assuming it's valid), but you should have the Marriage Certificate to save yourself hassle. We didn't, long time and confused ticket agents before they let her check in.

That's my experience and two cents worth. :blink:

K1 VISA

Adjustment of Status

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.