badra

What residency evidence does the Madrid consulate ask for???

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello! me and my girlfriend plan on doing DCF through Madrid. She is not a resident of spain and niether am I. I was here legally as of may 31st, now my residence card is expired (It was a 9 month NIE). What are the papers I need to prove my legal residence in Spain??? Does any one know exactly what they look at and ask for????

thanks so much!

Are you and your girlfriend married?

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hi,

I don´t know if this will help since I did DCF in El Salvador, but maybe the process is similar there.

I have been livng in El Salvador since the end of 2006, but the lady at the embassy said passport travel was not enough to show residency. She asked me if I went to school or work to prove I had paychecks or payment stubs from school.

These are the documents I gathered:

TICKETS

Flight tickets of my arrival in El Salvador at the end of 2006, and my other trip this Christmas when I visited my family.

GOVERNMENT

ID (it shows when it was issued)

NIT (some sort of way to be taxed when you work with my name and dated)

SCHOOL:

School admission slip (dated and with my name)

payment stubs (every semester, stamped with date and with my name)

library fees (stamped and dated with my name)

MAIL

Christmas letters, government mail, etc I figured this provided a gamut of my stay and it is all stamped with date and since it is government regulated then it´s OK.

BANK

Bank Account document of when I opened an account (with my name and stamped with date)

Bank statement (showing range of months and my transactions in the country)

I made photocopies of the ones that showed a gamut of my stay, mostly my mail. But she asked to keep my school documents since they showed my stay during two semesters here. She said these documents would be returned to me later on.

I had tried to proved documents that did not need translation, but it seems this is just for the local embassy to see, so I need not have worried and could have photocopied the whole packet.

Hope this provides some ideas.

Nydia Y Neftaly (NYN)

Timeline
Hi,

I don´t know if this will help since I did DCF in El Salvador, but maybe the process is similar there.

I have been livng in El Salvador since the end of 2006, but the lady at the embassy said passport travel was not enough to show residency. She asked me if I went to school or work to prove I had paychecks or payment stubs from school.

These are the documents I gathered:

TICKETS

Flight tickets of my arrival in El Salvador at the end of 2006, and my other trip this Christmas when I visited my family.

GOVERNMENT

ID (it shows when it was issued)

NIT (some sort of way to be taxed when you work with my name and dated)

SCHOOL:

School admission slip (dated and with my name)

payment stubs (every semester, stamped with date and with my name)

library fees (stamped and dated with my name)

MAIL

Christmas letters, government mail, etc I figured this provided a gamut of my stay and it is all stamped with date and since it is government regulated then it´s OK.

BANK

Bank Account document of when I opened an account (with my name and stamped with date)

Bank statement (showing range of months and my transactions in the country)

I made photocopies of the ones that showed a gamut of my stay, mostly my mail. But she asked to keep my school documents since they showed my stay during two semesters here. She said these documents would be returned to me later on.

I had tried to proved documents that did not need translation, but it seems this is just for the local embassy to see, so I need not have worried and could have photocopied the whole packet.

Hope this provides some ideas.

thanks! that is very helpfull, but were you still a legal resident when you showed all that evidence? my problem is that I was a resident for a year, but now my visa is no longer valid, you think they will care??

Timeline

Hmm, I have dual citizenship so I didn´t need a permit to stay here. But I was worried about my exit this past Christmas since I thought they would see I had not been here for six months straight, but I tried to prove that i had been here over the six months.

You might want to make a date, or see if there is a time where you can go to your local embassy Dep of Homeland Security area to ask this question about the expired visa.

They should have a time where you can come and ask that you are about to DFC and what documents you need. I know it might be a hassle to go there, and they might give you the run around everywhere, but it´s probably best you go in person. I was bounced around from Embassy to phone call centeres to other areas and different times before I hit pay dirt. Check out their web site and see if they have info for when to visit the DHS in your embassy. Better go now than later.

Nydia

Nydia Y Neftaly (NYN)

Timeline

Hey again, I am not sure if this is related, but this was on the U.S. embassy in Spain website under American Citizen services..

AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES

Traveling to Spain

A Safe Trip Abroad

The Department of State has prepared some useful tips for enjoying a safe trip abroad. This includes Country Specific Information on virtually every country in the world, Travel Alerts and Travel Warnings.

(Please, see also Warden Messages page.)

Entry for Tourism / Business

American citizens can enter Spain or Andorra visa-free for periods of up to three months. Spanish government regulations may require a return or on-going ticket or proof of funds. Should an American citizen wish to remain longer than ninety days, you will be required to obtain an extension of stay from Spanish immigration authorities. This extension, of no more than ninety days, must be requested at a police station at least three weeks before the initial entry period expires. It is only granted under exceptional circumstances. By law, foreigners who have overstayed their permitted time will not be allowed to leave Spain without first obtaining an exit permit from the Directorate of Security of the State in Madrid or from the local police in another city. A fine, commensurate with the time overstayed, may be charged.

Should you be considering a stay in Spain longer than three months you should inquire with the Spanish embassy or consulate near your place of residence outside of Spain prior to entry. You may also write directly to the Spanish National Police at Calle Moratin, 43, 28014 Madrid; or check the Spanish Ministry of Interior’s website.

Residency and Work Permits

American citizens wanting to study, reside, or work in Spain must obtain the appropriate visa from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their state/country of last residence. After the visa has been issued, foreigners have three months to apply for the corresponding permit with the Spanish authorities in Spain. Obtaining a residence or work permit is a complicated process; since regulations change continually, we suggest that you write directly to the:

Spanish National Police

Calle Moratin, 43

28014 Madrid

You may also check the Ministry of Interior ’s website, or call the Ministry of Interior, within Spain, toll-free at 900-15-00-00. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also manages a website.

Nydia Y Neftaly (NYN)

Timeline
Hey again, I am not sure if this is related, but this was on the U.S. embassy in Spain website under American Citizen services..

AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES

Traveling to Spain

A Safe Trip Abroad

The Department of State has prepared some useful tips for enjoying a safe trip abroad. This includes Country Specific Information on virtually every country in the world, Travel Alerts and Travel Warnings.

(Please, see also Warden Messages page.)

Entry for Tourism / Business

American citizens can enter Spain or Andorra visa-free for periods of up to three months. Spanish government regulations may require a return or on-going ticket or proof of funds. Should an American citizen wish to remain longer than ninety days, you will be required to obtain an extension of stay from Spanish immigration authorities. This extension, of no more than ninety days, must be requested at a police station at least three weeks before the initial entry period expires. It is only granted under exceptional circumstances. By law, foreigners who have overstayed their permitted time will not be allowed to leave Spain without first obtaining an exit permit from the Directorate of Security of the State in Madrid or from the local police in another city. A fine, commensurate with the time overstayed, may be charged.

Should you be considering a stay in Spain longer than three months you should inquire with the Spanish embassy or consulate near your place of residence outside of Spain prior to entry. You may also write directly to the Spanish National Police at Calle Moratin, 43, 28014 Madrid; or check the Spanish Ministry of Interior’s website.

Residency and Work Permits

American citizens wanting to study, reside, or work in Spain must obtain the appropriate visa from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their state/country of last residence. After the visa has been issued, foreigners have three months to apply for the corresponding permit with the Spanish authorities in Spain. Obtaining a residence or work permit is a complicated process; since regulations change continually, we suggest that you write directly to the:

Spanish National Police

Calle Moratin, 43

28014 Madrid

You may also check the Ministry of Interior ’s website, or call the Ministry of Interior, within Spain, toll-free at 900-15-00-00. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also manages a website.

thanks agian! thats a lot of info, im going to the consulate to see what they say. hopefully all will work out well :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.