Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

can i change my name??

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

hi everybody,

i'm only getting married in 4 months, so i'm pretty ahead of time, but there's this thing that keeps me wondering. so thanks in advance for everybody who wants to share their toughts on the subject.

i'd like to take my fiance's name after the wedding. i've read that doing that in the US is very simple. now my problem is, belgium doenst let you take your spouses name.

at first i tought it wouldnt be a problem, i'd just use my maiden name to fly, take a marriage certificate and no questions asked.

but i then i started wondering. if i change my name in the US, my AP will be on that name, and my green card, but i'll never have a passport to match that name. i'm pretty i can just use my marriage certificate for a while, but what after my passport get's renewed?? and even further down the line, what about naturalization?

is it all just a really really bad idea???

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be fine carrying a copy of your marriage certificate while travelling to explain why you have two different last names. In Colombia is also a huge legal process to change one's name there so most of us use our maiden names in Colombia and married names everywhere else. Airlines and Immigration officers are used to seeing this.



02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...