danandamy

how long after interview before my wife can cross the border?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

HI guys!

We are going for the IR-1 interview on Aug. 15th. Amy is from Cape Breton, NS. A good 12 hours from Montreal, and 19 -20 hrs from NYC, our final destination. We have a dog who will need to be driven wherever we take him- he's too old for cargo. I will be driving to Halifax from NY to get Amy for the interview, and then we'll drive to MOntreal. We plan to take Jaco (our dog) and found a place that accomodates pets in the city as well. This way, we only have to drive 8 hrs back home ($100 MAX gas), instead of driving 12 hrs back to CB and then another 19 or so home from there. We've figured that the cost of just staying put in Montreal is cheaper and less stressful than driving back east and north, and then all the way down to NY.

I've based my estimations on a wait time of about a week to get the GC sent from MTL to CB and then have it overnighted from CB to MTL.

BUt seeing others' posts sayig the turnaround is more like 2 weeks is making me nervous. Are there any situations where the Consulate can give us any documentation to just go home to NY after the interview? We could easily have the GC mailed to NY. I thought this was how it worked, back when we started this whole process. Dont they just stamp you application, send you on your way, GC to follow? We're married 2 years, and have been seperated for 13 months for no frigging reason to begin with, so what the hell is the hassle at the end of the line for?

If the logical options are not available, then can we just show up at the consulate every day and ask for the thing? Personaly, I've no problem sitting outside until its ready. I waited a week and a day outside Toys r Us in Times Square to get a Playstation 3 last year, so ? Or does anyone know if they could just mail it to the house in Montreal we'll be staying at?

Timeline

Yesterday,the interviewer did ask how long I was going to be in Montreal, when I said I was leaving that night she explained about how they will be sending my passport with my visa inside back via Canada Post Xpresspost. I am sure if you explain the situation they can work something out. Maybe either you could pick it up or they could send it Xpresspost to the place you are staying in Montreal.

Good luck!

HI guys!

We are going for the IR-1 interview on Aug. 15th. Amy is from Cape Breton, NS. A good 12 hours from Montreal, and 19 -20 hrs from NYC, our final destination. We have a dog who will need to be driven wherever we take him- he's too old for cargo. I will be driving to Halifax from NY to get Amy for the interview, and then we'll drive to MOntreal. We plan to take Jaco (our dog) and found a place that accomodates pets in the city as well. This way, we only have to drive 8 hrs back home ($100 MAX gas), instead of driving 12 hrs back to CB and then another 19 or so home from there. We've figured that the cost of just staying put in Montreal is cheaper and less stressful than driving back east and north, and then all the way down to NY.

I've based my estimations on a wait time of about a week to get the GC sent from MTL to CB and then have it overnighted from CB to MTL.

BUt seeing others' posts sayig the turnaround is more like 2 weeks is making me nervous. Are there any situations where the Consulate can give us any documentation to just go home to NY after the interview? We could easily have the GC mailed to NY. I thought this was how it worked, back when we started this whole process. Dont they just stamp you application, send you on your way, GC to follow? We're married 2 years, and have been seperated for 13 months for no frigging reason to begin with, so what the hell is the hassle at the end of the line for?

If the logical options are not available, then can we just show up at the consulate every day and ask for the thing? Personaly, I've no problem sitting outside until its ready. I waited a week and a day outside Toys r Us in Times Square to get a Playstation 3 last year, so ? Or does anyone know if they could just mail it to the house in Montreal we'll be staying at?

Timeline
Yesterday,the interviewer did ask how long I was going to be in Montreal, when I said I was leaving that night she explained about how they will be sending my passport with my visa inside back via Canada Post Xpresspost. I am sure if you explain the situation they can work something out. Maybe either you could pick it up or they could send it Xpresspost to the place you are staying in Montreal.

Good luck!

HI guys!

Thanks Linda B, that makes me feel a bit better already!

Timeline

I believe saw a post were the person was able to pick up the passport the next day since they were going to be in the Montreal area for an extra day. Might be worth asking for and explaining the situation since it makes complete sense to pick it up in your case.

This is what is posted on the Montreal Consulate website:

Return of Passports and Visas

Passports will be returned by Canada Post

Passports and visas will be returned to the applicants with Canadian addresses by Canada Post, generally within three to five business days after the visa is approved. In person pick up will be available only in a legitimate emergency (as determined by the Consulate).

Applicants must go to a Canada Post office and buy an Express Regional mailer before coming to the consulate. These are not available at the Consulate. Approximate cost is CDN $7.

http://www.amcits.com/montreal.asp

HI guys!

I think you mean your visa will be mailed? Not your GC. No one would be sending your GC to the Canadian address that I'm aware of. The only other thing I could think of if they won't let you pick it up, would be to drive down to NYC after your interview and wait for the mail. You don't need your passport to cross while driving. The only thing is that once the passport with visa is sent to CB, and then forwarded to NYC, you're going to have to go to a border to activate it aren't you? If you're close, I suppose it's no big deal. You might want to email Mtl ahead of time, and ask them. Just make sure you put your case number in the subject line. Doesn't hurt to ask!

carlahmsb4.gif

We're going to try the same thing -- ask if we can pick up the visa the next day, as xpressposting it back to Newfoundland is out of the question. If we absolutely have to, I'll have them Xpresspost it to the hotel. I'm still waiting for an interview date so Danandamy, you'll be going in before us. Please let us know how you make out and if they let you pick up the visa the next day so that we'll know what to expect!

Timeline

This another frustrating part of the process. A very few VJ'ers have been able to come back the next day and get the visa, while others have been told no, it must be mailed. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Too bad it isn't like it used to be! My wife had her interview at 8 am, got her Visa at 1 pm and crossed the border into the USA at 6 pm, they seem to just keep making this whole process longer and longer for amusement any more.

Any information I post is based upon my personal experience only. I am not a lawyer.

Timeline
We're going to try the same thing -- ask if we can pick up the visa the next day, as xpressposting it back to Newfoundland is out of the question. If we absolutely have to, I'll have them Xpresspost it to the hotel. I'm still waiting for an interview date so Danandamy, you'll be going in before us. Please let us know how you make out and if they let you pick up the visa the next day so that we'll know what to expect!

Hey badspellor----

Looks like they really dont let you get the visa right away. Your best bet is probably to find a place in MTL where you can have it sent, then hope for the best. WE're having trouble, because we need to find a place that accepts dogs. It's pretty stupid that we have to pay to stay in town for an extra week doing nothing but waiting for the mailman, when home is 8 hours away. Worst case, if they have to mail it to Cape Breton, we will still stay in Mtl. and have someone overnight it back to us.

Maybe we'll both get lucky, though, and get to go the hell home when its over.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey badspellor----

Looks like they really dont let you get the visa right away. Your best bet is probably to find a place in MTL where you can have it sent, then hope for the best. WE're having trouble, because we need to find a place that accepts dogs. It's pretty stupid that we have to pay to stay in town for an extra week doing nothing but waiting for the mailman, when home is 8 hours away. Worst case, if they have to mail it to Cape Breton, we will still stay in Mtl. and have someone overnight it back to us.

Maybe we'll both get lucky, though, and get to go the hell home when its over.

I have some links to pet friendly hotels in Montreal. I hope this helps if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.pets-allowed-hotels.com/can/Que...REAL/index.html

http://www.pawsperouspets.com/travel.shtml

• 4 weeks later...

Just another thread I thought I'd follow up on since we've just had our interview and crossing at the POE. The first person we talked to at the interview appointment (the one who reviews the documents sent from NVC) asks for your Xpresspost envelope. We asked her if we could come back the next day at noon and she looked at me like I was stupid for not reading the instructions. Truth be told, it actually does say on their webpage that in certain instances (i.e. where the beneficiary has had legal status in the US or in emergencies) that the visa can be picked up the next day. Ready to accept this as our fate, when we had the actual interview it was with a different person and as she reviewed the xpresspost envelope she enquired about the address we were using. It was then we mentioned that we were hoping to pick it up the next day at noon. She then proceeded to offer to let us pick it up the next day at 3PM! So that's what we did. Still out $16 for the envelope but we got the visa the next day and crossed that evening, so it can be done! Just still get the Xpresspost envelope just in case but try asking the interviewing officer if you can pick it up the next day and they may let you.

Just another thread I thought I'd follow up on since we've just had our interview and crossing at the POE. The first person we talked to at the interview appointment (the one who reviews the documents sent from NVC) asks for your Xpresspost envelope. We asked her if we could come back the next day at noon and she looked at me like I was stupid for not reading the instructions. Truth be told, it actually does say on their webpage that in certain instances (i.e. where the beneficiary has had legal status in the US or in emergencies) that the visa can be picked up the next day. Ready to accept this as our fate, when we had the actual interview it was with a different person and as she reviewed the xpresspost envelope she enquired about the address we were using. It was then we mentioned that we were hoping to pick it up the next day at noon. She then proceeded to offer to let us pick it up the next day at 3PM! So that's what we did. Still out $16 for the envelope but we got the visa the next day and crossed that evening, so it can be done! Just still get the Xpresspost envelope just in case but try asking the interviewing officer if you can pick it up the next day and they may let you.

We usually, or someone does, advise people if this is the case. I do believe in a few incidents where there has been an emergency, that people have been able to get it the next day. Now, yours wasn't an emergency, and you asked and I'm glad they accomodated! I personally think that if the next 10 people came in and asked for the same thing, and it wasn't an emergency or other such thing, and especially if anyone said they know someone who did get theres...this practice would quickly stop. Just my opinion.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.