jlh

Name Change After Marriage

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am getting married in Las Vegas NV, and I was told by the Las Vegas County Clerk that the marriage license is signed with our given names. Now with that being done, what process or how hard is it to change her name to her married name when filling for Social Security Number? And/Or what steps do we need to take to have her name changed to her new married name? I am confused as you can tell...

07/09/07 - Sent I-129F packet to NSC

07/20/07 - NOA1 from CSC was received

07/20/07 - Touched

11/28/07 - NOA2 approved

12/18/07 - NVC forwarded forms

01/04/08 - 2nd Packet Mailed (to me not my fiancee ???)

05/13/08 - Interview - APPROVED (K1 - Visa)

07/24/08 - POE (Las Vegas)

07/27/08 - Getting Married

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Its not hard at all. I was married in Las Vegas and live here as well. Go to the Social Security office on Buffalo and Charleston. The office opens at 9 am. Take your marriage certificate, passport / or drivers id, and just fill out the form. I was in and out of there in 20 min. (I did line up before they opened)

Also ... if you line up before they open, go to the line on the left side of the door. The right side is for id fraud claims etc.

I took my receipt from the social security office and my marriage certificate and then went over to the DMV. Had my name changed at both places by 11:00 am!!!!

Hope that helps :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

haha! I just saw that you dont live here. Okay - you will have to request a copy of your marriage certificate. With that in hand take it to your local social security office and show id.

It's an easy process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.