~Laura and Nick~

My drivers license

21 posts in this topic

So yeah...hi :)

I'm a little slow and recently just got my G2 this past January....I'm 27 :blush:

I have to take the test for my G license within the next 5 years....can I just come back up and take the test up here even though I'm not living here anymore? How will they update it with my address if I'm not living here....granted..it will be my parents address that's already on my license now but still...

Also...will they recognize in NJ that I don't have my full G license or will they not know the difference and just hand me over a license for down there? :)

YAY me for being slow :star:

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

Ok stinky pants; here's what happened to Bren. He had his AB driver's license, and was previously licensed in Oregon and Utah. We move here and WOOHA --- had to take the driving exam again.

Now, check out the DMV for New Jersey and see what they tell you.

And now that I know you drive, I will most certainly NEVER go to your state :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok stinky pants; here's what happened to Bren.

And now that I know you drive, I will most certainly NEVER go to your state :rofl:

:lol:

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

You will need six points of ID too. You will need your SSN. If you're doing it after you get married, bring your marriage certificate if you're changing your name. They are really ####### when it comes to having all of your documents.

www.njmvc.gov/6point

All the information is in that site.

Good luck. The written test is a touch screen computer with 50 questions and you can only get 10 wrong so study study study. :)

PS: They won't know the difference I had my beginners and they didn't know the difference.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

As nevada said, you have to show the 6 points of ID and take the written test. NJ is VERY stringent on ID. I could not get my Driver's License until I got my Green Card because you need a primary form of ID that is worth 4 points. If you are not a US citizen, in your case, the green card is the only thing that will grant you the 4 points. You can also present your SSN and your EAD card, but you have neither of those either.

Since your Ontario Drivers License is still valid, you can use that of course. They won't know the difference between the graduated licenses in NJ. They messed up mine like 4 times before it was set sraight!

Also-study for the test! I failed twice before I got in on the 3rd time and I had my G.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Am I the only one who thinks that they'd never pass again if they had to take either the written or road test again?

Makes me anxious just thinking about it.

Good advice thetreble :thumbs:

Am I the only one who thinks that they'd never pass again if they had to take either the written or road test again?

No, you're not! I thought that too, and was thankful that I'd only have to take the written test....until I got there and found out I'd have to take the road test as well! :o Freak me out!! I'm 50, and the last time I took a road test was on my 16th birthday....

I did pass both the written and road test with flying colours, but gosh, was I freaked when I heard I had to do a road test!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No, you're not! I thought that too, and was thankful that I'd only have to take the written test....until I got there and found out I'd have to take the road test as well! :o Freak me out!! I'm 50, and the last time I took a road test was on my 16th birthday....

I did pass both the written and road test with flying colours, but gosh, was I freaked when I heard I had to do a road test!

Good on ya Carla!

Timeline

Same with me too! I was worried, studied religiously, but at least I knew before hand I had to do the road test. I missed one question on the written part - and it was State specific about how long you had to change your DL if moving there from another State. I had a bit of problem with the parallel parking bit mainly because they did it in the parking lot using parking cones - and I couldn't even see where the cones were! When I had to back into the space I had to guess how close I was to the side cones and to the front and back cones. I ended up parking more than a foot frrm the 'curb' but I didn't hit any of the cones! Everything else was great, and I got an overall score of 98% - Whooee! And yes, I do drive better than the majority of people on the road here (including my husband)!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

:lol: It's true. I didn't fail by a lot the first two times I failed, but it was even the distances that I didn't understand. Everything was in feet and miles, and I couldn't really picture either one of those as I was doing the test. Also, not all the rules are the same in Ontario as they are in NJ, of course.

After I REALLY studied, I got it. hha

Funny side note-I was so upset after I had failed the first time because: 1. I had been driving for 7 years and 2. What else was going to be a pain in my ### about this process?

That on my way home from the DMV I talked my husband into buying me a puppy :lol: That is how we got Bella.

n90402092_34364012_6946.jpg

My eyes filled with grit

Thanks so much for all the advice guys!!!

What should I do about getting my G back home? If we ever decide to move back and I don't get my G within the 5 years, I have to start ALLLL over again....

Suggestions?

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Arrange your driving test here with a visit home once you get advanced parole I guess! You still have some time before your 5 years is up right? Shouldn't be too much of a hassle.... you'll already have your full license in NJ and have a some practise time. :)

I wonder if they would just give you a full license here in Canada if you had one in NJ? You might be able to avoid the test completely.... I don't know for sure though.

K-1 Visa Timeline

01.07.08 Sent in I-129f package

01.24.08 NOA1

03.25.08 NOA2

04.18.08 Package 3 received

05.07.08 Medical @ Dr. Seiden's in T.O.

05.09.08 Sent back checklist & forms

05.13.08 Mtl received & eligible for interview

06.12.08 Called DOS & found out interview date

06.19.08 Received interview letter

07.24.08 Interview in Montreal - Approved!! :D

07.28.08 Received Visa!!!

08.04.08 POE Alexandria Bay

08.18.08 Civil Ceremony

10.11.08 Wedding

AOS Timeline

04.25.09 Sent in AOS, EAD, AP package

04.27.09 Accepted at Chicago Office

05.01.09 NOAS for AOS, EAD & AP

05.12.09 Biometrics Appt letter

06.02.09 Biometrics done

07.01.09 EAD card production ordered & AP approval

07.09.09 Received AP

07.13.09 Received EAD

07.17.09 Received AOS interview notice

08.17.09 AOS interview - Approved !! :D

Removing Conditions

08.16.11 I-751 received by VSC

08.24.11 NOA came in mail

09.07.11 Biometrics appt notice

09.30.11 Biometrics appt

Timeline
I wonder if they would just give you a full license here in Canada if you had one in NJ? You might be able to avoid the test completely.... I don't know for sure though.

Highly doubt it. Two different sets of driving laws. Here is my question though, if you are set on living in NJ there is really no reason for you to think about your G. You can always drive in Ontario with your NJ license, and in fact, have to if you are driving you car down that is registered in NJ. If you really feel like you need it, you are just going to have to make an appointment and a trip down to the dmv.

My eyes filled with grit

Highly doubt it. Two different sets of driving laws. Here is my question though, if you are set on living in NJ there is really no reason for you to think about your G. You can always drive in Ontario with your NJ license, and in fact, have to if you are driving you car down that is registered in NJ. If you really feel like you need it, you are just going to have to make an appointment and a trip down to the dmv.

Yeah, I do feel like I need it because we are planning on moving back and I don't want to have to start all the way at square one.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.