Brad and Vika

VIP Airport Service

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am a new member, and I am not sure this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes.... I have been to Ukraine twice so far, since my fiance' moved back to Kherson. Our interview will of course be in Kiev, and I have had a HUGE hassle every time I have been through Ukrainian customs (usually about money). I normally fly into Odessa, but will no doubt go to Kiev directly for the interview. Several transport services online in both cities off VIP airport pickup for around $100. Is this worth the cost? If the $60-$80 of that fee that goes to the airport reduces the entrepenurial activity of the customs agents it seems a bargain. Has any one tried VIP pickup? What was the experience like?

Thanks

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi all,

I am a new member, and I am not sure this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes.... I have been to Ukraine twice so far, since my fiance' moved back to Kherson. Our interview will of course be in Kiev, and I have had a HUGE hassle every time I have been through Ukrainian customs (usually about money). I normally fly into Odessa, but will no doubt go to Kiev directly for the interview. Several transport services online in both cities off VIP airport pickup for around $100. Is this worth the cost? If the $60-$80 of that fee that goes to the airport reduces the entrepenurial activity of the customs agents it seems a bargain. Has any one tried VIP pickup? What was the experience like?

Thanks

My fiance visited me in Jan., and had absolutely no issues going through customs in Borispil (Kiev). In fact he was surprised as to how easy it was. Per D, he just showed his US passport answered couple questions about purpose of the trip and was sent through. I guess they have more time to haress you in smaller airports :)

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all,

Thanks

I did VIP once at ODS... I travelled out of KBP with my then fiancee (now wife) a year ago using regular exit procedures without problems.... I think the money question is less an issue today than it has been in the past. I will say though that the VIP service is nice.... Is it worth the $$$ ? You make the call.

My fiance visited me in Jan., and had absolutely no issues going through customs in Borispil (Kiev). In fact he was surprised as to how easy it was. Per D, he just showed his US passport answered couple questions about purpose of the trip and was sent through. I guess they have more time to haress you in smaller airports :)

There is no hassle factor at ODS that I have experienced....

Three weeks and counting until I will be back in Kherson...........

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

My first time to Odessa, I was the last guy through customs. I was made to count out my pocket cash, fill out a declarations form (even though it was just a couple of thousand), and then told that I was bringing in too much money and would have to surrender it. I told the agent that I was familiar with the currency limits, and he could arrest me if he wanted but I wasn't surrendering a cent. Needless to say I was warned earlier by some one with more experience in Ukraine to "never lie, or back down" in this situation. They eventually let me go when it became clear that I wasn't going to give them my currency without a hassle. No trouble at all leaving.

The second trip ended about three weeks ago. No trouble going in this time, but on the way out when I answered the agents question about currency, I found myself in a separate queue of Americans, Canadians, Brits, etc. Again the declaration form, then I had to count the money. The purpose of the form was clearly to check my honesty, and presumably carrying more currency than I disclosed would have resulted in another tourist fleecing. I had no trouble, but the guy in front of me told them that he never carries cash, and only had an ATM card. They turned his luggage inside-out. Customs agents were obviously profiling for men from english-speaking countries (even when traveling with their families).

Sorry, what I really wanted to know is if the VIP pickup services get you through customs with less hassle than the regular route.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

This is only my experiences. I have entered through KBP over 10 times. It was on the early trips with only a couple of entry/exit stamps in my passport. I was asked about money and gifts. I always filled out a customs declaration and always have had over $4,000 on me. One time I was asked to show my money, that was it. It says right on the customs declaration the limit is $10,000, if I remember correctly. Now, with so many entry stamps on my passport, I think they think I must be there on business and I am treated like a number, "move on." The only time I have had a run in was when I had a layover in Amsterdam and my girlfriend gave me a list of cosmetics that she wanted from duty free. A lady at customs said that I would have to pay a gift tax, because of the amount involved. I told her no. She insisted. I said it was duty free. She said it was a gift and I was over the limit. I then told her that I would throw it away before I paid a tax. It was the principal of the whole thing. She finally and reluctantly let me pass, but warned me on the limits for gifts. From then on, I put the gifts in my luggage instead of carrying it in the bag. The delay was 15 minutes.

I have seen many people use the VIP, and they get sent straight through. I do not know how much they get checked, as I am with the masses. I can save the money and wait 30 minutes. I would rather spend my money on my SO. I think it would be worth it if you had an internal flight to another city and were worried about the connection times. Two times it took me over 1 1/2 hours to get through immigration and customs. Just a lot of people, multiple flights arriving close together. I hope this helps, but if you are within the law, you should be good. Just put up with the hassle and don't bend.

This is only my experiences. I have entered through KBP over 10 times. It was on the early trips with only a couple of entry/exit stamps in my passport. I was asked about money and gifts. I always filled out a customs declaration and always have had over $4,000 on me. One time I was asked to show my money, that was it. It says right on the customs declaration the limit is $10,000, if I remember correctly. Now, with so many entry stamps on my passport, I think they think I must be there on business and I am treated like a number, "move on." The only time I have had a run in was when I had a layover in Amsterdam and my girlfriend gave me a list of cosmetics that she wanted from duty free. A lady at customs said that I would have to pay a gift tax, because of the amount involved. I told her no. She insisted. I said it was duty free. She said it was a gift and I was over the limit. I then told her that I would throw it away before I paid a tax. It was the principal of the whole thing. She finally and reluctantly let me pass, but warned me on the limits for gifts. From then on, I put the gifts in my luggage instead of carrying it in the bag. The delay was 15 minutes.

I have seen many people use the VIP, and they get sent straight through. I do not know how much they get checked, as I am with the masses. I can save the money and wait 30 minutes. I would rather spend my money on my SO. I think it would be worth it if you had an internal flight to another city and were worried about the connection times. Two times it took me over 1 1/2 hours to get through immigration and customs. Just a lot of people, multiple flights arriving close together. I hope this helps, but if you are within the law, you should be good. Just put up with the hassle and don't bend.

Thanks steelman, I appreciate the shared experience. Maybe I had an unusually tough time and shouldn't worry about it, but if there is a chance to eliminate the hassle... I was told to disclose the correct amount and be prepared to argue by a guy that owns a company with an office in Odessa. It just irritates the hell out of me. So far I can't really find any one that uses the VIP service on landing.

Cheers

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline
It just irritates the hell out of me. So far I can't really find any one that uses the VIP service on landing.

As an Ukrainian who spent significant amount of time living in the U.S. it irritates the hell out of me too. To be quite honest, I am still in permanent culture shock since coming back 6 months ago. Service everywhere is horrible, and it is especially true for any government agency. Don't let them get to you. Just declare whatever has to be declared and firmly reply to any attmepts of unlawful treatment. You are US citizen, they won't go too far! Hope you'll have a smooth landing and a hassle free entry. That part of Ukraine is especially gorgeous in summer.

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

It just irritates the hell out of me. So far I can't really find any one that uses the VIP service on landing.

As an Ukrainian who spent significant amount of time living in the U.S. it irritates the hell out of me too. To be quite honest, I am still in permanent culture shock since coming back 6 months ago. Service everywhere is horrible, and it is especially true for any government agency. Don't let them get to you. Just declare whatever has to be declared and firmly reply to any attmepts of unlawful treatment. You are US citizen, they won't go too far! Hope you'll have a smooth landing and a hassle free entry. That part of Ukraine is especially gorgeous in summer.

Good to know. I am looking forward to going back in September or October, but you are spot on about the service. On the positive side, I am told that it is possible to get out of all but the most serious trouble by throwing some money at it (although I hope never to find out). Other than that, I really enjoy the people and culture of Eastern Europe. and especially Ukraine. I have a soft spot for Kherson and Odessa, because my Vika comes from that area. Her family is awesome, and they appear to have accepted me. We in America could learn a great deal from Ukrainians in terms of hospitality towards strangers and people from other countries.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

So far I can't really find any one that uses the VIP service on landing.

Sorry, I meant anyone who uses VIP services when landing in Odessa. Apologies to those VJers that have gone the VIP route in Kiev. :blush:

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.