Amina_KSA

Question about money...

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone...

I'm wondering if an affidavit of support makes up for a lack in substantial savings on the part of the American trying to get a visa for his/her wife/husband.

My DH and I live in Riyadh, he is an Egyptian citizen and we will be applying for his visa in August when we return to KSA from our summer vacation. Due to the fact that I am a stay at home mom I obviously do not meet the income requirement to be the financial sponsor...so we have lots of family members who are glad to fill out the affidavit of support. While we are currently very financially comfortable, I am wondering if we are expected to have a very large savings on top of the affidavit of support.

Like, can they say "oh you only have such and such in savings, you need $100,000 before we'll consider the visa"...or, does the affidavit of support make up for all of that??? I guess I'm just wondering if we're being foolish to apply with out a larger savings..aside from that we have all our paper work and requirements in perfect order.

My second question (sorry, I know I am such a newbie about all of this) is, will the age of the person who fills out the affidavit of support have any impact? I am very close to my grandmother and she really wants to fill it out for us...she has a great income, owns a lovely home, and has perfect credit..however she is in her 80's. Some of my friends said that I should use someone younger to fill out the affidavit of support...???

So sorry for these questions...any help would be greatly appreciated.

~A.

Me: USC DH: Egyptian Citizen

Together we have a beautiful son, born on Christmas day 2007

Filing DCF (IR-1) from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia:

July 30, 2008 - Filed I-130 at Riyadh Embassy

August 3, 2008 - I-130 Approved

The embassy let us delay the interview so that my husband would have time to finish his work contract.

November 3, 2008 - Final Interview, APPROVED!!!

The embassy let us wait until late January to submit the passport for the visa so that DH could finish his work contract.

February 9, 2009 - VISA IN PASSPORT!!! (DH's birthdate wrong on visa, embassy keeps it for correction - gah!!!)

February 15, 2009 - CORRECTED VISA IN PASSPORT!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Savings aren't required for the affidavit of support, just an income that meets 125% of the poverty requirements. You could also use your assets on the affidavit and say that if needed, you can sell your house or whatever you have. Don't worry about not having money saved!

I'm not sure about the age question...

01/26/2008: Married.

02/06/2008: U.S. Embassy in Santiago informs me that they are not much for dumb rules and I CAN direct file!

03/06/2008: Applied for Chilean resident visa, which will allow me to direct file.

04/17/2008: Chilean visa approved.

06/04/2008: Applied for husband's visa at U.S. Embassy.

06/13/2008: Final interview date set for July!

07/01/2008: Medical exam.

07/09/2008: Final interview and approval of visa!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you so much for your answer Leah.

Me: USC DH: Egyptian Citizen

Together we have a beautiful son, born on Christmas day 2007

Filing DCF (IR-1) from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia:

July 30, 2008 - Filed I-130 at Riyadh Embassy

August 3, 2008 - I-130 Approved

The embassy let us delay the interview so that my husband would have time to finish his work contract.

November 3, 2008 - Final Interview, APPROVED!!!

The embassy let us wait until late January to submit the passport for the visa so that DH could finish his work contract.

February 9, 2009 - VISA IN PASSPORT!!! (DH's birthdate wrong on visa, embassy keeps it for correction - gah!!!)

February 15, 2009 - CORRECTED VISA IN PASSPORT!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.