4 posts in this topic

We're several months from filing our I-751, but I was wondering if this is likely to be a problem:

None of our utilities have both our names. The phone and our cell phones are in my name; cable/Internet and gas/electric are in my husband's (water/sewage comes to "Resident"). None of them will let us add the other person's name. Until March we had Verizon cell phones which had both our names on the bill, and until we moved last summer both our names were on the electric bill (PSE&G for some reason took G's name off when we moved even though both names were on the account for our old apartment, and I never got it fixed before we moved here to New Mexico, and Power New Mexico won't allow him to add me).

We do have a lease, joint bank statements, and joint car/rental insurance. The car is in my name since I bought it before we were married and it's not paid off yet, and of course we have stuff showing more basic stuff like driver licenses with the same address, mail to both of us, joint tax returns, second cardholder on each other's credit cards (well, we each have one card that the other person also has, and one that's ours only).

Am I being silly over nothing?

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We are filinf our stuff next week. Everything is in my name. I hope this wont be a problem. It was already in my name so we didnt see the need to change it. We just added him to my cell plan and such. We are living with my mother and so we dont even have a lease together. We only have a joint checking account.

Filed: Timeline

sparkofcreation,

Based on the information that you have provided here, and if this is the information that you will be providing to the USCIS - yes, you are being silly.

Yodrak

We're several months from filing our I-751, but I was wondering if this is likely to be a problem:

None of our utilities have both our names. The phone and our cell phones are in my name; cable/Internet and gas/electric are in my husband's (water/sewage comes to "Resident"). None of them will let us add the other person's name. Until March we had Verizon cell phones which had both our names on the bill, and until we moved last summer both our names were on the electric bill (PSE&G for some reason took G's name off when we moved even though both names were on the account for our old apartment, and I never got it fixed before we moved here to New Mexico, and Power New Mexico won't allow him to add me).

We do have a lease, joint bank statements, and joint car/rental insurance. The car is in my name since I bought it before we were married and it's not paid off yet, and of course we have stuff showing more basic stuff like driver licenses with the same address, mail to both of us, joint tax returns, second cardholder on each other's credit cards (well, we each have one card that the other person also has, and one that's ours only).

Am I being silly over nothing?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would imagine that they are well aware how it is virtually impossible to add another name to a utility bill without cutting off the existing service and going through the whole process again...and I know we were not going to do this just to prove that we were a real couple!

Joint bank statements, lease, tax returns...you have plenty of evidence :thumbs: File away!

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.