chapmart

oath question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

1)How often do they have the oath ceremony in Texas? (every month, every other month, quarterly, every 6 months????)

Everything went fine at the interview on May 29th. The interviewing officer stated after they combine my 2 files, they will send me a letter regarding the oath ceremony, which will be on June 25th. I haven't received anything in mail. I went to the office to inquire, was told I need to schedule an appointment in order to speak to someone about my concern. The next available appointment is in July.

One more note, I travel frequently and I asked the interviewing officer about traveling after the oath and he stated I could travel with the certificate of naturalization to and from Mexico/Canada which is wrong. I questioned the POE officer on my last trip, and he confirmed to me one MUST have an US passport after you take the oath. I had my doubts when the interviewing officer said I could travel and I have my doubts he is correct about the June oath.

02/06/08 N-400 filed

02/08/08 N-400 received

02/12/08 check cashed

03/08/08 NOA

03/21/08 Fingerprint

05/29/08 Interview - passed - told will be scheduled for June 25th Oath

07/14/08 Info Pass - told everything is good, wait for Oath letter

07/16/08 Received notice requesting more info(want tax transcripts)

09/24/08 Oath Ceremony - Postponed - thanks to Hurricane Ike

10/29/08 Oath Ceremony

1. Varies by local office. Texas is a big place. It depends on your local office, not just "Texas." Call the main US District Court for your district, if you really want to know. The main district courts are in Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and Austin, but I don't know which would cover your area. Texas has four districts but the way the state is divided up is kind of weird.

2. You can enter by land or sea from Mexico or Canada (or the Bahamas, or a bunch of other places), with only the natz certificate and a photo ID (like a driver license) until June 2009. You need a passport to enter by air since January 2007.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can enter by land or sea from Mexico or Canada (or the Bahamas, or a bunch of other places), with only the natz certificate and a photo ID (like a driver license) until June 2009. You need a passport to enter by air since January 2007.

Is that because terrorists only travel by air? And why are they treating Canada like Mexico? Really don't have a surge of Canadians coming down here to lose health care, get American jobs that moved up to Canada, and to pay a much higher price for prescription drugs. And why did all this start six years after 9/11?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks sparkofcreation......you helped. I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. I had a small fear of making it this far, then not showing up for the oath because they made a mistake of not notifying me. The 25th is next Wednesday, so there's not much I can do.

By the way, I am in Houston. The interviewing officer knew I travel by air because we were on the subject, I told him I was concerned because we had previously purchased airline tickets to Mexico for June 28th. He told my wife and I " don't worry, you can travel with the certificate of naturalization". When we left, my wife and I agreed that did not sound correct. That is why on my next trip after the interview I asked the POE officer and he confirmed what you said.

It actually works to our advantage to miss the June 25th oath, and go on our trip on the 28th. Do the oath later and not have to expedite the US passport.

02/06/08 N-400 filed

02/08/08 N-400 received

02/12/08 check cashed

03/08/08 NOA

03/21/08 Fingerprint

05/29/08 Interview - passed - told will be scheduled for June 25th Oath

07/14/08 Info Pass - told everything is good, wait for Oath letter

07/16/08 Received notice requesting more info(want tax transcripts)

09/24/08 Oath Ceremony - Postponed - thanks to Hurricane Ike

10/29/08 Oath Ceremony

You can enter by land or sea from Mexico or Canada (or the Bahamas, or a bunch of other places), with only the natz certificate and a photo ID (like a driver license) until June 2009. You need a passport to enter by air since January 2007.

Is that because terrorists only travel by air? And why are they treating Canada like Mexico? Really don't have a surge of Canadians coming down here to lose health care, get American jobs that moved up to Canada, and to pay a much higher price for prescription drugs. And why did all this start six years after 9/11?

They are treating Canada like Mexico because those are the only two countries by which you can enter by land. They are treating Canada and the Caribbean countries like Mexico because those are the only countries by which you can enter by sea. There's no point in saying "you need a passport to enter by land from Egypt."

And the delay was because many, many, many people drive between the countries, so it makes sense to have that be the last stage implemented. Hopefully a lot of people who didn't have a passport before would have gotten one in order to travel by air, and (hopefully) some of them will think ahead and get one now rather than waiting another year.

Oh, and as for your crack about medical care in Canada, I do know (of) a Canadian who was living in illegally in the US as an overstay in order to get health care. I personally have a medical condition where it took me about two months to start treatment here, but that delay would have been up to five years in Canada (about six months in the UK).

And it didn't *start* six years after 9/11; this is all part of the implementation of the recommendations of the September 11 Committee, which was convened immediately after 9/11. It's merely *ending* several years after 9/11. Just because you didn't know about it until now doesn't mean it wasn't in progress for the last six and a half years.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

They are treating Canada like Mexico because those are the only two countries by which you can enter by land. They are treating Canada and the Caribbean countries like Mexico because those are the only countries by which you can enter by sea. There's no point in saying "you need a passport to enter by land from Egypt."

And the delay was because many, many, many people drive between the countries, so it makes sense to have that be the last stage implemented. Hopefully a lot of people who didn't have a passport before would have gotten one in order to travel by air, and (hopefully) some of them will think ahead and get one now rather than waiting another year.

Oh, and as for your crack about medical care in Canada, I do know (of) a Canadian who was living in illegally in the US as an overstay in order to get health care. I personally have a medical condition where it took me about two months to start treatment here, but that delay would have been up to five years in Canada (about six months in the UK).

And it didn't *start* six years after 9/11; this is all part of the implementation of the recommendations of the September 11 Committee, which was convened immediately after 9/11. It's merely *ending* several years after 9/11. Just because you didn't know about it until now doesn't mean it wasn't in progress for the last six and a half years.

Not quite not knowing about it, but do know many laws have been passed during that period of time that is taking away our freedom with the guise of our safety. Might as well lock all 300 million of us in padded cells for our safety and laws are passed on the theory they will help without any effective enforcement of those laws or even doing a study if those laws are effective in accomplishing what they were intended for.

I suppose if you have the mentally of a lamb and do what your told, these laws are okay, but lambs are led to slaughter, this is suppose to be free and independent country, but with many of our government laws we are becoming very dependent with very limited freedom.

With 435 representatives, 100 senators, 9 supreme court judges, and one executive, it only takes 273 guys that is only 0.000091% of the population to make a law, only five guys on the supreme court can give the opinion that a new law does not conflict with our constitution. And if some of those guys were appointed by the president and approved by his congress, that very lowers the percentage that represents the will of the people. This is how our constitution was mangled in recent years.

Freedom of speech is wiped out if you say the wrong thing to a government official supposingly, you will find an IRS tax auditor at your door whether you deserved it or not. Some crackpot shoots someone and your right to bear arms is taken away, and the USCIS has the right to invade your bedroom if you elect to marry a person outside of this country just as a few examples. By recent polls, 80% of Americans are not happy what is going on, but it is still going on, with our vast means of communication, just seems like Americans should be given more of a say in what laws are passed. And are our representatives really serving the people?

Our borders to Canada have been opened for almost 200 years, are these new laws justified? And what about 9/11, America is suppose to be a peace loving charitable country, but somebody high up teed off this some two dozen terrorists that not only resulted in the wrongful deaths of 3,000 people but another 600,000 innocent people in retaliation. The wrong people are paying the price.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.