Gemma12nel

2 Questions Im stuck at!

7 posts in this topic

Im filling out the N-400 application for Naturlization. My husband and I can't agree on Part 9. Information about your children. I don't have any children to any one what soever. My husband however has two children to a previous marriage. Although I don't have any contact with the children of his, I feel they should be "step children" he says no they aren't. Can anyone help?

The other thing is I want to file on 3rd August, but I am away in the UK then, can I file then putting the 10th August as my return, or would they see it as not telling the truth as the 10th August(my return) wouldn't have arrived yet? Should I just leave it until the 10th so I can put on Part 7 countries visited?

thanks for you help in advance!

The long and winding road,,,,,,

03/03/04 - I-129F received at VSC

08/03/04 - Date of NOA1

24/04/04 - Approval online email (46 day35 Business day

28/04/04 - Received NOA2 by mail

03/05/04 - NVC fowards petition to London Embassy

14/05/04 - Received Packet 3

26/05/04 - Received Packet 4

01/06/04 - Interview @ London Embassy

01/06/04 - WAS APPROVED FOR VISA!

02/06/04 - Passport inclusive of visa delivered

13/06/04 - Here in the US of A!

31/07/04 - Officially engaged!

28/08/04 - Married

30/08/04 - Filed AOS, EAD, sent via Fed-Ex

02/09/04 - Applied for SSN in married name

10/09/04 - SSN arrives

08/09/04 - NOA for EAD & AOS

30/09/04 - Biometics & Fingerprinting Appointment

10/11/04 - Received approval via email for EAD

13/11/04 - Very happily blessed in Florida with Family present - special day!

16/11/04 - EAD arrives in post

01/03/05 - Posted AP

24/03/05 - NOA1 of AP

20/05/05 - Advance Parole arrived

19/09/05 - Case transferred to CSC

08/11/05 - Approved for AOS at CSC

12/11/05 - Welcome to america letter arrives!

15/11/05 - Green Card Arrives

REMOVE CONDITIONS

07/08/07 - Applied to Vermont for 2 years conditions removed I-751

22/08/07 - Check cashed

23/08/07 - Received I-797 Notice of action in post

04/09/07 - NOA Date

02/10/07 - Biometrics

02/10/07 - Touched- checked at 6:45 PM

03/10/07 - Touched

28/03/08 - Received Email - 10 Year green card approved

CITIZENSHIP

11/08/08 - Sent N-400 application to become a citizen to VERMONT

16/08/08 - Cheque cashed by Vermont

18/08/08 - NOA1 N-400

17/09/08 - Biometrics

09/12/08 - Interview and oath taken at newark

DONE!

Filed: Timeline
Im filling out the N-400 application for Naturlization. My husband and I can't agree on Part 9. Information about your children. I don't have any children to any one what soever. My husband however has two children to a previous marriage. Although I don't have any contact with the children of his, I feel they should be "step children" he says no they aren't. Can anyone help?

The other thing is I want to file on 3rd August, but I am away in the UK then, can I file then putting the 10th August as my return, or would they see it as not telling the truth as the 10th August(my return) wouldn't have arrived yet? Should I just leave it until the 10th so I can put on Part 7 countries visited?

Hi Gemma,

Wow you are all well-prepared... alright here is my answers to your two questions:

1. Since you are currently legally married to your current husband, his children ARE yours too (even though they are your step-children and you don't have any contact with them). Remember your husband is the legal biological father of his children no matter what. You can just list the names of these children and explain that they are your step children.

2. I would rather wait until Aug 10th, when you are physically back in US land, to send your application. 7 days of difference will not make too much difference in rushing sending your N400 application. Being honest will serve you the best in the long run

Just my 2cents...

Edited by chitown

Hi Gemma,

Wow you are all well-prepared... alright here is my answers to your two questions:

1. Since you are currently legally married to your current husband, his children ARE yours too (even though they are your step-children and you don't have any contact with them). Remember your husband is the legal biological father of his children no matter what. You can just list the names of these children and explain that they are your step children.

2. I would rather wait until Aug 10th, when you are physically back in US land, to send your application. 7 days of difference will not make too much difference in rushing sending your N400 application. Being honest will serve you the best in the long run

Just my 2cents...

I agree with chitown. At first I wasn't sure if you had to list the stepchildren, but I looked at the instructions for the N-400 and it says to list all stepchildren.

Also, it would be best to just wait before sending it in. Chitown is right that a week wouldn't make difference.

Edited by Carol and Bruno

Our K-1 Timeline

01/12/08: Attorney mailed petition to CSC

01/22/08: NOA1

05/27/08: NOA2

06/03/08: NVC received

06/04/08: NVC forwarded to Rio de Janeiro consulate

06/09/08: Consulate received

06/23/08: Packet 3 sent

08/19/08: Interview!! (Approved!!)

08/27/08: Visa in hand

09/12/08: POE (Washington DC)

09/25/08: Applied for Social Security card

10/06/08: Social Security card received

11/12/08: Marriage!!

AOS Timeline

03/21/09: Mailed AOS docs to Chicago

03/23/09: AOS packet received in Chicago

03/31/09: NOA1

04/03/09: NOA1 Received (His Birthday!!)

04/17/09: Received notice that our case was transferred to CSC on 4/13/09

04/17/09: My case has been entered into the USCIS system!!

04/23/09: Biometrics appointment

05/11/09: AP approved

05/12/09: Case arrived at CSC for further processing

05/13/09: EAD approved

05/13/09: AOS Touched

05/14/09: AP received

05/15/09: EAD card received

06/25/09: Card production ordered

07/06/09: Approval notice sent

07/06/09: Card Received!!!

Removal of Conditions

03/23/11: Will mail I-751

Citizenship

03/23/12: Will mail N-400

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

"A. Write the total number of sons and daughters you have had. Count all of your children, regardless of whether they are:

Part 9. Information About Your Children.

1. Alive, missing, or dead;

2. Born in other countries or in the United States;

3. Under 18 years old or adults;

4. Married or unmarried;

5. Living with you or elsewhere;

6. Stepsons or stepdaughters or legally adopted; or

7. Born when you were not married.

B. Write information about all your sons and daughters. In the last column (''Location''), write:

1. "With me" - if the son or daughter is currently living with you;

2. The street address and state or country where the son or daughter lives - if the son or daughter is not currently living with you; or

3. "Missing" or "dead" - if that son or daughter is missing or dead.

If you need space to list information about additional sons and daughters, attach a separate sheet of paper."

Looks like I screwed up on this one, better write a letter to Nebraska and correct that. I only listed my wife's children, the applicant, not mine. Dang!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I was eligible to apply October 2007, but sent my N-400 late February 2008. everything is OK

The green card is mandatory to stay here and kind of a pain in the back as you have to keep the USCIS informed where you are at, at all times, and remember to renew it after two or ten years and pay a couple of bucks for that renewal or if you lose it.

Not so with US citizenship, strictly optional, can send it in 90 days before you 3rd or 5th PR anniversary depending whether you married a US citizen or not, or not even send it in at all and just stay here as a permanent resident. Or you can submit the N-400 in five, ten, fifteen, or whatever number of years you desire. Ha, if you wait until you are 75 years old, don't even have to take the civics test, one way to beat that.

With citizenship you can vote, get SS disability benefits, get a US passport, but most important, that kind of ends your relationship with the USCIS, don't have to tell them where you are at after that, and it doesn't expire like the green card does.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.