ronnieshih

Legal name dilemma

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

This is for a K3 visa again,

I'm looking over the I-130 forms. My wife is not changing her last name to mine first of all. She is a Canadian citizen with all forms of documents from Canada. She has a dilemma which name to use. Our marriage certificate contains her middle name, however, all her other documents such as passport or driver's license show first name last name, no middle name. I called USCIS help line again and she told me that the name on the certificate is the legal one and she'll have to change all her documentations to include the middle name. But I am thinking she does not have to do that because her documentations or IDs are Canadian, not USA.

So the question still is, which name should I put on the form for her??

thanks a bunch again :)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm looking over the I-130 forms. My wife is not changing her last name to mine first of all. She is a Canadian citizen with all forms of documents from Canada. She has a dilemma which name to use. Our marriage certificate contains her middle name, however, all her other documents such as passport or driver's license show first name last name, no middle name. I called USCIS help line again and she told me that the name on the certificate is the legal one and she'll have to change all her documentations to include the middle name. But I am thinking she does not have to do that because her documentations or IDs are Canadian, not USA.

She has to use her legal name.. Her legal name is that one that is on her BC...

If she doesn't want to use her middle name any more, she'll have to get a name change done...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

ronnieshih,

Both. One name at C.1 and the other at C.7. Put the name that she wants the USCIS to know her by (be it the one with her middle name or the one without) and put on her US documents at C.1.

Told by who? The USCIS Misinformation Line? But now I'm curious about something - if the name on her birth certificate does not include a middle name, when and how did the middle name come into existance?

I was told that the name on the marriage certifcate would be the legal name. So now I have two here. What should I use? The name on the birth certificate or the name on the marriage certificate?

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
The name on her birth certificate match that of the marriage certificate, it has the middle name. So this is the one she will use on the I-130 form correct?

If her legal name before was Mary Jane Doe and she married John Smith...

Her legal name can still be Mary Jane Doe or it can be Mary Jane Smith, depending on which she wishes to use (there are other combinations as well). This is the name she should use on the I-130 Line 1..

For other names used, she should include her maiden name if she took yours and she can also include her name without the middle mane that she has been using previously..

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

ronnieshih,

Sorry for my confusion, but that's not what this post you made yesterday seemed to indicate:

... What should I use? The name on the birth certificate or the name on the marriage certificate?

Anyway, I agree with zyggy that the primary name on the I-130 should be whatever name she is currently using and any other names she has previously used, including variations on the same name, should be shown where 'other names used' are requested.

Yodrak

The name on her birth certificate match that of the marriage certificate, it has the middle name. So this is the one she will use on the I-130 form correct?
Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.