JenniferJarin

Problems with getting CA drivers license before AOS! (expired I-94 date on K-1 visa - help)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi -- I wonder if anyone can help me. My fiance came to the US on a K-1 fiance visa. We got married within the allotted time, but had to delay applying for AOS for a couple months. Now he's about to take his driver's test in california. He already passed the written portion, and got a temporary driving permit. He is scheduled to take the driving portion in a few days, but we just got a letter in the mail from the DMV that said: "the department of homeland security-bureau of immigrations and customs enforcement is unable to validate the documentation presented with your application." and that he cannot get a driver's license until he has proof he is here legally!

We showed the I-94 and passport/visa at the DMV, along with his Social Security card -- and also gave his alien number, which was written on the I-94. Because the I-94 was stamped with a mid-April expiration date, the DMV gave him a hard time and said he wouldn't be able to get his license without a green card. But he is here legally! They finally looked something up int he computers, verified that he WAS in the system, and let him get the permit.

But now this letter -- what can we do to show proof? We are filing for his AOS this week, but there is no card that "proves" he is here legally -- just the conditions on the K-1, which state that he can stay here as long as he is married. We are married, but the only documentation we have as proof of his presence here is the now-expired I-94.

Do we have to now wait until AOS is approved/he gets a green card for him to get his license?

Or is there something wlse we can show?

We just had a baby, and we are going to have a lot of difficulties getting around if he cannot legally drive.

Please help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

CA will also accept EAD as proof of legal presence.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

Apply for EAD when you apply for AOS, EAD costs nothing when applied for when based on pending I-485.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yep, we had the same problem in MO. We just waited for the green card.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
CA will also accept EAD as proof of legal presence.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

Apply for EAD when you apply for AOS, EAD costs nothing when applied for when based on pending I-485.

Yu and Dan -- how long did it take your EAD to arrive after you applied for AOS?

Can my husband drive in CA with a valid thai drivers license, or does he need an international drivers license as well? the dmv site said somewhere they dont honor the internat. drivers license in ca, which confused me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.