julia5k

filing i-129F while in usa or getting married now

4 posts in this topic

I am currently in US on work visa (h1b) which will be expiring later this year. My fiance will be filing for k-1, so I have to return home and go to the embassy to get a fiance visa. Another option is to get married now and file i-130 and i-485. The problem is that if we do that my passport from Ukraine will expire in 07, and I will not be able to travel. That is why we want to file i-129F so I can go home, change my passport and then come back and get married. My question is : if he files for fiance visa, and then we change our minds and get married now in US anyways - will I have any problems adjusting status because there is also i-129F?

Any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

jukia,

Can you renew your passport at the Ukranian embassy or one of the Ukranian consulates in the USA?

Yodrak

I am currently in US on work visa (h1b) which will be expiring later this year. My fiance will be filing for k-1, so I have to return home and go to the embassy to get a fiance visa. Another option is to get married now and file i-130 and i-485. The problem is that if we do that my passport from Ukraine will expire in 07, and I will not be able to travel. That is why we want to file i-129F so I can go home, change my passport and then come back and get married. My question is : if he files for fiance visa, and then we change our minds and get married now in US anyways - will I have any problems adjusting status because there is also i-129F?

Any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Ukrainian embassy can only extend it to the date I travel to Ukraine, but then I still have to get a new one there, because without it I can't come back to US. So basically at some point I still will have to go to Ukraine for a month or so to get it renewed.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Dont over-worry about this.. since you have a work visa.. just get married and file away i-130 & i-485. You may want to file for work permit too since your work visa will expire soon and you are never sure how long the AOS will take. (it depends on the state/city ) better be prepared. :)

Ukrainian embassy can only extend it to the date I travel to Ukraine, but then I still have to get a new one there, because without it I can't come back to US. So basically at some point I still will have to go to Ukraine for a month or so to get it renewed.

10/17/05... WPB, FL rcvd and forward to NBC/MSC rcvd pkg

11/09/05... NOAs for i-485,i-765 & i-130 dispatched

11/12/05... NOA i-485 & i-765 in my hands!

01/09/06... got biometrics appt for i-485 for 1/31/06

01/11/06... i-765 touched (ACTUAL APPROVAL DAY)

01/31/06... BIO/FP done for i-765 & i-485.

02/08/06... EAD APPROVED & got my passport in the mail! :) (ready for that stamp!)

02/09/06... Got my EAD :) approved 1/11/06 valid until 1/10/07

02/10/06... Applied for SSN, EAD INFO was already in the SSA system :)

02/17/06... got my SSN in the mailbox! yai!!!

02/21/06... GOT INTERVIEW DATE for 4/26/06 @ 9:30AM -West Palm Beach, FL DO-

04/26/06... Interview seemed a success, no approval due to pending security clearence.

06/07/06... i-485 was "touched."

06/09/06... Got email from CRIS, welcome letter on the way! :)

06/12/06... Welcome letter in my hands!

06/16/06... Got email from CRIS again! green card on the way!!

06/19/06... GOT MY GREEN CARD! (valid until 06/07/08)

05/22/08... TX received okg for i751

05/30/08... GOT NOA with extension

06/09/08... got appt for fingerprints

06/17/08... fingersprints done

09/03/08... case transferred and received at CA

03/01/09... finally 1 touch!

04/01/09... got email new green card on the way!!!!! (10 months and 2 weeks!)

06/22/12... N-400 Priority Date - Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.