KHPerfectMatch

Packing List for MENA Men coming to the USA

51 posts in this topic

Important things to bring, photos or DVD of family and friends. Yes they will have the internet and phone, but there is a special quality of holding a photo that might help with any homesickness.

Important to do before leaving, see an eyedoctor and dentist. Sooooooooooo much cheaper there than here.

Get an international drivers license. Even if it is not valid for long, it will be one extra piece of indentification with his name, photo and signature. Might help in the banking, account opening process here.

I definately agree to the international drivers license. If your SO does not have a license, he will have to do drivers training here in the states. With having a drivers license from their country, all they have to do is take a written test and a road test. :thumbs:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[but if I may ask...what kind of community are you in if smoking is banned? And what employment is he hoping to get where he is not allowed to smoke? I've never heard of such things in America at least....well not entire communities ban smoking but places such as restaurants and public buildigns do everywhere of coures. But an entire community wow

********************************************************************************

Where to you live where it's still acceptable??????

I live in the Pacific Northwest, I can't think of any where that public smoking is allowed. Not in public buildings, not in restaurants, I think many bars are non-smoking here, although it's possible it's been banned in bars too, I don't go to bars so I don't know... Some employers don't allow it (raises health care costs, gives their business a low class image, and lowers productivity) and many who don't state it upfront will pass over someone who reeks of cigarette smoke.

I don't have any friends or family members who smoke, and I don't even know any practicing Muslims in my community that smoke either.

Smoking here is perceived as something done by uneducated people or rebellious youth. At 48 he won't get the rebellious youth label, so that only leaves uneducated and neither of us want that one put on him!

He says he really wants to stop, but hasn't made the move... GREAT! I get to go through withdrawl time.... Oh well, if we live through that we can live through anything! ;)

K

It has been said that one of the best ways to quit smoking is to move. Maybe that will work in his advantage.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Important things to bring, photos or DVD of family and friends. Yes they will have the internet and phone, but there is a special quality of holding a photo that might help with any homesickness.

Important to do before leaving, see an eyedoctor and dentist. Sooooooooooo much cheaper there than here.

Get an international drivers license. Even if it is not valid for long, it will be one extra piece of indentification with his name, photo and signature. Might help in the banking, account opening process here.

I definately agree to the international drivers license. If your SO does not have a license, he will have to do drivers training here in the states. With having a drivers license from their country, all they have to do is take a written test and a road test. :thumbs:

That depends on the state you live in. My husband doesn't have a license at all, but for people over age 21 they don't have to do any kind of drivers training. He will just need to take the written test and the road test. Every person will have to check their state laws regarding that.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Good point Tammy ... I know I got about $3000 worth of dental work done here for no more then $100!!!

Also depending on where you live, you can get translations (in Arabe) I know in in my home state of Michigan I got translations done for about $10 ... little more expensive but also in other states!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Oh man, I may tell him to bring spices but I know he doesn't want to bring many clothes because he wants to get new ones in the states and he said clothes were too expensive in Jordan.

About smoking told my hubby that was a NO NO. I have allergies and was an asthmatic growing up. I can't have it around me. For the person who said they slipped up and let it slide early on, My hubby tried me early too. First I caught him on the Cam smoking, I pointed out that he said he quit and he was like the holidays make it hard for me I miss my family .... ok as long as you know you can not smoke around me. Then when I was in Jordan with him the night before I was too leave a friend gave him a cigarette to calm his nerves because I was leaving. He thought he was going to charm me into saying it is ok to smoke. I smiled and told him to please smoke the cigarette but do it knowing that I would NEVER kiss him afterwards. He went into the but I'll brush, yadda yadda yadda and I was like no deal but that it's his life and his choice to smoke and my choice what I do after he smokes. He didn't smoke it ..... while I was there.... He probably lit up as soon as I left. :lol:

MY HOT ARAB HUBBY!!

dreamy_Riyad-2.jpg2615261345_a42ed1904a.jpg

No one tell the hubby! Oh wait I already told HIM! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.