nasa876

k2 question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello this is my first post

I have a qusetion for any one who went thru the moscow embassy to get a k2 visa

My Natalia got at leter from her ex husband so that we can bring her 14 year old daughter to the U.S.,

but he put a time limit of 3 months in this letter. So my question is will the embassy give her the visa????

has anyone had this kind of problem???

Or do the embassy people even ask for a letter from the father to allow the kids to get a K2 visa????

I thank you for any help that you could give me.

Richard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My step daughter came here on a K-2. We did not have a letter from her father and did not get asked for one, but she was 17 years old and thus probably did not need one. Not sure what you mean about a 3 month time limit. Is he saying she can only stay in the US for three months? This could be a problem at the embassy or later. My step daughter came to the US, and after about 3 months returned to study at the university in her city of Rostov-on-Don. This has become a big problem as she has been denied a visa to return to the US. Once the K-2 is used and she returns it will be very difficult to bring her back especially after one year. We found out that tourist and J-1 visas will be denied on the grounds that she will likely be a high risk to stay as she has been here before and her mother is now residing in the US (the exact words from the embassy when she was denied last time) unless she has some extraordinary proof that she will return to Russia, and I thought that owning her own apartment and continuing her university studies would be just that proof.

Having said all that, if you get the visa with the letter he provided, I am quite sure once she enters the US no one can force her to return. Just don't let her leave until she adjusts and has her green card.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
Once the K-2 is used and she returns it will be very difficult to bring her back especially after one year.
To avoid this problem, your daughter should have gotten her green card before returning to study in Russia, thus ensuring she could enter once a year to avoid problems. Even sticking around for AP and returning for the AOS interview would have been sufficient. But that time has come and gone. Instead, you can now file an I-130 on her behalf. I would have suggested adopting her, but I think the USCIS cuts the line at age 16 for adoptions. Since no US citizen can sponsor her it will take many years for your wife to sponsor her. But getting in line doesn't hurt. If your wife acquires citizenship before her turn in line as a green card holder comes along, then she will avoid the wait up to that. That's about all I can think of for now.

Timeline
My step daughter came here on a K-2. We did not have a letter from her father and did not get asked for one, but she was 17 years old and thus probably did not need one. Not sure what you mean about a 3 month time limit. Is he saying she can only stay in the US for three months? This could be a problem at the embassy or later. My step daughter came to the US, and after about 3 months returned to study at the university in her city of Rostov-on-Don. This has become a big problem as she has been denied a visa to return to the US. Once the K-2 is used and she returns it will be very difficult to bring her back especially after one year. We found out that tourist and J-1 visas will be denied on the grounds that she will likely be a high risk to stay as she has been here before and her mother is now residing in the US (the exact words from the embassy when she was denied last time) unless she has some extraordinary proof that she will return to Russia, and I thought that owning her own apartment and continuing her university studies would be just that proof.

Having said all that, if you get the visa with the letter he provided, I am quite sure once she enters the US no one can force her to return. Just don't let her leave until she adjusts and has her green card.

the 3 months is the limit in which she can stay, according to the letter that the father signed.

thank you for the info.

Timeline
Once the K-2 is used and she returns it will be very difficult to bring her back especially after one year.
To avoid this problem, your daughter should have gotten her green card before returning to study in Russia, thus ensuring she could enter once a year to avoid problems. Even sticking around for AP and returning for the AOS interview would have been sufficient. But that time has come and gone. Instead, you can now file an I-130 on her behalf. I would have suggested adopting her, but I think the USCIS cuts the line at age 16 for adoptions. Since no US citizen can sponsor her it will take many years for your wife to sponsor her. But getting in line doesn't hurt. If your wife acquires citizenship before her turn in line as a green card holder comes along, then she will avoid the wait up to that. That's about all I can think of for now.

This is exactly what we did, filed for I-130 last year before the fee increase. Even when she arrived on the K-2 she did not intend to stay and live here in the US and that is why we were not thinking about adjusting and getting the green card. Her intention was always to go back and continue her studies. Knowing what I do now I would have submitted for her green card, but I guess it still would have been a problem once she left for a year.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The embassy did not ask us for our daughter's biological father's signed permission. My wife had the paper giving her father's permission to travel to the US with her. The airlines did not ask for it either. Noone has asked to see the paper so far.

That is my experience. Yours may be different, I cannot say.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Timeline
The embassy did not ask us for our daughter's biological father's signed permission. My wife had the paper giving her father's permission to travel to the US with her. The airlines did not ask for it either. Noone has asked to see the paper so far.

thank you for information, i hope that they do not ask my Natalia.

Timeline

Ditto here. My Alla was. rather, surprised the Embassy had no interest in seeing this document.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Natasha went to court and received a document severing the parental rights of her daughter's biological father, in preparation for coming here to the USA. This was an easy document to get given the absence of the father in Vika's life and his refusal to pay the court ordered child support these last 11 years. The father was at the court proceedings and though he didn't agree, the court ruled against him.

That said, this document was never shown to anyone. At the airport in Moscow, the passport control officer asked IF we had the document and we said we did, and I started to get it from the binder but she stopped me and said she didn't need to see it.

As everyone else says, each case is different and your results can easily vary from my own.

Good luck!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Timeline
Ditto here. My Alla was. rather, surprised the Embassy had no interest in seeing this document.

thank you, for sharing that with me. it makes me feel better.

Natasha went to court and received a document severing the parental rights of her daughter's biological father, in preparation for coming here to the USA. This was an easy document to get given the absence of the father in Vika's life and his refusal to pay the court ordered child support these last 11 years. The father was at the court proceedings and though he didn't agree, the court ruled against him.

That said, this document was never shown to anyone. At the airport in Moscow, the passport control officer asked IF we had the document and we said we did, and I started to get it from the binder but she stopped me and said she didn't need to see it.

As everyone else says, each case is different and your results can easily vary from my own.

Good luck!

thank you for our help, it means a lot to me. I have been very worried about this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.