Mich3

When can I move?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't know if I quite understand your question. Your K1 visa will be valid for six months from the date of issue, so you can enter the U.S. *one time* within those six months. You should "move your stuff" at the same time that you move yourself to the U.S. Since you won't be getting married until after you enter the U.S., then clearly you do not have to be married before you move. In fact, if you somehow you were to get married before you moved you would invalidate your K1 visa, as you must be engaged but not married at the time of your entry into the U.S.

Does anyone know when I can move my personal belongings after I get my K1 Visa? Do we have to get married first??

You move all your personal belongings the same time as you leave your home country, you dont have to wait until you are married!!

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
The K-1 visa is only good for entry BEFORE you get married, so go ahead and move your belongings :)

You can move your belongings (used personal effects) duty free at the time of your entry into the US or after your entry. Your shipper will need a copy of your I-94, Your visa and a CBP Form 3299.

If you try to move your belongings before your entry on the K1, your goods are subject to duty.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The K-1 visa is only good for entry BEFORE you get married, so go ahead and move your belongings :)

You can move your belongings (used personal effects) duty free at the time of your entry into the US or after your entry. Your shipper will need a copy of your I-94, Your visa and a CBP Form 3299.

If you try to move your belongings before your entry on the K1, your goods are subject to duty.

So the only opportunity I'll have to move is when I actually activate that K1 Visa because once I activate it I can't come back to Canada....correct?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So the only opportunity I'll have to move is when I actually activate that K1 Visa because once I activate it I can't come back to Canada....correct?

Correct. You can't return to Canada until you have either your green card, or advance parole, which can take 90 days to receive from the filing of your AOS.

Timeline

Thanks so much!!

Timeline

Thanks so much!!

You can have someone else move your stuff over for you after you arrive... EIther friends, family, or a mover...

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Thanks so much!!

You can have someone else move your stuff over for you after you arrive... EIther friends, family, or a mover...

Really??? I'd rather do that! I don't want have to move EVERYTHING in one day. What kind of documentation are they going to need when customs questions them??

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks so much!!

I had the vast majority of my belongings brought to me by movers almost a year after I moved to the US. Any experienced cross-border mover will direct you to the correct customs forms to use, as well as what paperwork they will require. I remember having to photocopy all of the pages in my passport, amongst other stuff.

Really??? I'd rather do that! I don't want have to move EVERYTHING in one day. What kind of documentation are they going to need when customs questions them??

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Thanks so much!!

What I told you previously.. Your I-94, a copy of your endorsed visa, CBP Form 3299, and an itemized listing of the goods.

Edited by zyggy

Timeline

I have had a different experience. I moved most of my stuff down after my Visa was issued but before I activated it. I just put boxes in my car, and drive down, showing them my VISA but not using it. I know that there is no guarentee that they will allow me to cross, but as i live only 5 min from the border, I keep trying, and they haven't given my any problems yet. I called the POE several times to see if this is posible. I was told that it is up to the officer... So far, I have made 3 trips with my car full of boxes, and no problems. However, my fiance tried to take a load for me, and becuase he didn't have proof that the VISA was issued, they sent him back with the boxes.

I'm not recomending doing this, but it has worked for me.

38 days to my wedding!

Timeline
I have had a different experience. I moved most of my stuff down after my Visa was issued but before I activated it. I just put boxes in my car, and drive down, showing them my VISA but not using it. I know that there is no guarentee that they will allow me to cross, but as i live only 5 min from the border, I keep trying, and they haven't given my any problems yet. I called the POE several times to see if this is posible. I was told that it is up to the officer... So far, I have made 3 trips with my car full of boxes, and no problems. However, my fiance tried to take a load for me, and becuase he didn't have proof that the VISA was issued, they sent him back with the boxes.

I'm not recomending doing this, but it has worked for me.

38 days to my wedding!

The goods are dutiable until the time when you move, period...

On another topic, you're not even supposed to be allowed to cross the border as a visitor once the K1 is issued... You can only have one visa at a time. You are treading on very thin ice and are playing Russian Roulette.. I would hate to see you forced to use the visa when you don't want to...

Don't go to the US anymore. If you need something else done over there, send someone else over to do it..

Edited by zyggy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.