ziggyboo

Awaiting letter for interview, but want to visit...

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, my husband and I have sent in everything now, and I think all we're waiting on is the letter to tell me when the interview date in Montreal will be (and, of course, I'll have to go to one of the designated doctors here to get checked out). However, I wasn't sure whether or not I was allowed to enter the states for visits while immigration proceedings were going on or not. :( And I can't seem to find an answer on whether or not it would be all right to go to the U.S. for a few weeks while I'm still waiting on that letter. I feel incredibly stupid asking this now (especially since it's been a year already), but is it okay to visit?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are allowed to visit, however the decision to let you into the US will always rest on the border authority when you present yourself at US immigration. You need to reassure them that you are only visiting and not an immigration risk on this visit. Their mindset is that everyone who presents themselves at the border is harboring secret intent to immigrate right there and then! (VBG). Bring with you proof of your current ties to Canada - copies of lease, rental or mortgage payments; letter from an employer stating your employment with them; copies of utility bills, insurance bills/ coverage, other bills you are currently responsible for on an ongoing basis; other property ownership (ie. car) remaining in Canada, birth certificates of children remaining in Canada, proof of pets remaining in Canada, etc. Bring as well a copy of your immigration file showing you are following the correct immigration process and are currently just waiting for the interview stage. If you are flying make sure you have your return flight information/ticket booked. Have a definite period of time that you will be visiting and only pack what is appropriate for that visit - don't try to move some of your belongings down:-). When asked where you are going, state you are going to visit your husband for XXX weeks and will be returning on XXX date. Be confident and calm.

Many other Canadians who are following the CR-1 process have visited their spouses successfully while waiting for their final visa. You can too:-). Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.