lunatic 4 tc

Should I marry now or wait?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Need some input as what I should do? (as we all are) A short history of our relationship. Been dating for over a year, met each other in person in Dec 2005, I introduced him to my family and everything was great. Then in Feb he came back for job interview and got the job. Made plans to hook up in person again in June, in the UK, so I could meet his family, but because he got the job, we decided to meet in May. So now I am here in the UK and met his family. Everything is great (like I knew it would be) But now my question is, should we get married while I am here or should I go back to the states and start from scratch?

Would apprieciate any and all input

good or bad...

Thanks for everything

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well when my dh and I got married in Canada (where I am from) he returned to the USA and we started the paper work for me to come here. took a bit of time but was ok. I do not think that there is any right or wrong time. best of luck :)

May God's Grace be all you will ever need ticker.png

HI,

I think this is good you marry and return to USA and then file your case there, it may take a bit longer but will be alright.

Best of luck

Need some input as what I should do? (as we all are) A short history of our relationship. Been dating for over a year, met each other in person in Dec 2005, I introduced him to my family and everything was great. Then in Feb he came back for job interview and got the job. Made plans to hook up in person again in June, in the UK, so I could meet his family, but because he got the job, we decided to meet in May. So now I am here in the UK and met his family. Everything is great (like I knew it would be) But now my question is, should we get married while I am here or should I go back to the states and start from scratch?

good or bad...

Thanks for everything

good or bad...

Thanks for everything

Right, I was in the same boat as you. But unfortunately, it isn't that easy to just get married in the UK anymore. You will have to go back to the states and get a visitor for marriage visa. I had to do that in order to get married myself. The registars office wont even touch you until you have that visa stamped in your passport. Once you come back from the states with that visa, you then have to wait an additional 7 days to take up residence and you will have to provide proof of that as well. Once the 7 days is up, you may then go and make your announcement with the registars office, then you will have to wait an additional 15 days before you can get married. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Laura and Ian Mitchell

good or bad...

Thanks for everything

Right, I was in the same boat as you. But unfortunately, it isn't that easy to just get married in the UK anymore. You will have to go back to the states and get a visitor for marriage visa. I had to do that in order to get married myself. The registars office wont even touch you until you have that visa stamped in your passport. Once you come back from the states with that visa, you then have to wait an additional 7 days to take up residence and you will have to provide proof of that as well. Once the 7 days is up, you may then go and make your announcement with the registars office, then you will have to wait an additional 15 days before you can get married. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Laura and Ian Mitchell

I forgot to add, you may go online from the UK and apply for your visa and then make an appointment to turn in all documentation that will be needed. You will need proof of financial support, any divorce decrees, bank statments. You will not be able to stay in the UK and wait for the visa. You must be in the US. The reason being, the customs in the UK need to see that and stamp it with entry date. Also, when you make your appointment at the British EMbassy in the states, it would be better if you goto say California or Washington I believe because they have appointments right away where as NY office you have to wait until they open up the dates for each month. I had to wait a month before I could even make my appointment.

Best of luck..

Laura and Ian Mitchell

Love is not an EMOTION or FEELING....

That if made from the heart...will outlast ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117 (shortcuts)

TIMELINE

04/29/2006......MARRIED MY VERY OWN CLOWN WOOOHOOOO

Now we are through with immigration until the end of 2008. Please read my timeline to see our process. Remember, patience is a beatuiful thing if you can remember to keep it...I will be damned if we did lol. We are all here on this site for the same reason...lets all help one another...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Where do you guys plan to live?

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm trying to figure out how he got hired in the US without papers..........

He posted his resume to the company and they asked him to come in for an interview. They know it will be awhile before he really goes to work for them. But is an open invitation. He is good at what he does...

Where do you guys plan to live?

Arizona

good or bad...

Thanks for everything

Laura and Ian Mitchell

good or bad...

Thanks for everything

Laura and Ian Mitchell

I forgot to add, you may go online from the UK and apply for your visa and then make an appointment to turn in all documentation that will be needed. You will need proof of financial support, any divorce decrees, bank statments. You will not be able to stay in the UK and wait for the visa. You must be in the US. The reason being, the customs in the UK need to see that and stamp it with entry date. Also, when you make your appointment at the British EMbassy in the states, it would be better if you goto say California or Washington I believe because they have appointments right away where as NY office you have to wait until they open up the dates for each month. I had to wait a month before I could even make my appointment.

Best of luck..

Laura and Ian Mitchell

Yep, we just figured that out and was disappointed, but will survive. Am having a great time in England, with Arsenal in the playoffs, I think?? But am enjoying this new sport footie :dance: We have decided to go with a immigration lawyer. I am horrible with paperwork. and would be messing them up, which would mean delays. Will post as to how that turns out... wish me luck

thanks for alll your info was very helpful and I really do apprieciate it... :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance is from the UK and I am from the US, we originally wanted to get married in the UK and actually started booking venues and making arrangements immediately without consulting anyone. Big mistake, lost some deposits for the wedding but not a big concern.

When I got back into the US I started researching and made an appointment with my local CIS Office in Tampa. My discussion with the officer and the information she provided is what made me decide to go with the K1 Fiance Visa. Again it's really about preference and what's important to you, for me it didn't matter where we got married I was more concern with the amount of time we would be separated. I was advised processing time for K1 usually takes 4-6 mos and that once approved you would have 90 days to get married in the US. K3 would be a bit longer (she actually quoted up to 18mos ) but the countdown wouldn't start until after you get married. Big difference for me.....there will be waiting regardless but I really can't imagine being apart after we get married. Again final it's your final decision....I wish you best of luck and all the best in your journey ahead. Regards, Arlene

Arlene and Russell

K-1 Visa Timelines

10/04/05 -Russ visits Tampa for 2 weeks.

11/04/05 -Arlene in the UK for business but visits Russ in Chester.

12/16/05 -Arlene returns to the UK for holidays with Russ and family.

12/19/05 -A surprise trip to Paris where Russ proposes on the Eiffel Tower

12/21/05- Arlene turns 40!! Russ's family throws a surprise birthday party in Chester. We surprise them with the engagement announcement :)

12/23/05- Arlene and Russ travels to California to visit Arlene's family for the holidays. We surprise them with the engagement announcement :)

02/10/06 -Arlene travels to Chester UK for Valentine's Day w/sweetie.

02/14/06 - Mail I129 Packet to Texas from Chester UK!!!!

02/23/06- I129 Received by California Service Center

03/01/06 - Received NOA1.

03/04/06 - "Touched"

04/13/06 - Russ visits Tampa for 2 1/2 weeks

05/15/06 - "Touched" and NOA2 Approved

05/19/06- Received NOA2 in the mail

You really do not need an immigration lawyer with VJ here, seriously the people who have gone with a lawyer often have much longer delays, partly due to the fact they are just one of many clients, I am sure. If you do it yourself you will respond quicker than a lawyer as it is your life!

Plus the paperwork is all at the start and then there really isn't much, there are plenty of Guides and sample forms in here and lots of helpful people.

Unless you have a major complication in your case, I would not waste your money :thumbs:

Edited by sukie175

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.