stephandmuz

port of entry question...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone...

I have a quick question. Muz and I made entry into the states from Canada on Thursday(We drove across into couts Montana). Our experience was absolutely horrible. We were treated as if we were common criminals by a female border patrol guard. I'll write more about our experience when I have more time.

Our concern is this...

After Muz's visa was activated, I ask the guard what exactly would happen to the packet that the consulate had given muz. (the white packet that was habded over at the border)

The guard stated that the packet would sat there at the port of entry. I was schocked. I was under the impression that it would be sent to our local office? california service center? Anywhere but being kept there?

what exactly happens to the packet that is surrenedered at the border? If it does end up staying at the port of entry, what will happen when we go to adjust status?

Thanks

Steph and Muz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello everyone...

I have a quick question. Muz and I made entry into the states from Canada on Thursday(We drove across into couts Montana). Our experience was absolutely horrible. We were treated as if we were common criminals by a female border patrol guard. I'll write more about our experience when I have more time.

Our concern is this...

After Muz's visa was activated, I ask the guard what exactly would happen to the packet that the consulate had given muz. (the white packet that was habded over at the border)

The guard stated that the packet would sat there at the port of entry. I was schocked. I was under the impression that it would be sent to our local office? california service center? Anywhere but being kept there?

what exactly happens to the packet that is surrenedered at the border? If it does end up staying at the port of entry, what will happen when we go to adjust status?

Thanks

Steph and Muz

It's supposed to be forwarded on to your service centre, if I remember correctly.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Wow, what happened? :(

I'm so sorry (F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Sorry you had a horrible experience! Tell us about it when you have time to write more. Given your experience at the border, it's probably best not to believe that person. The package will be forwarded to the appropriate office. You'll know when you go to get your SSN if your information is in the system. Give it a few weeks though!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I'm so sorry (F)

What happens if the packet is never shipped to our local office? What if it stays at the port of entry, like she stated that it would?

Any help or info will be appreciated..

Thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would call that POE and ask to speak to a supervisor. Just tell them that you are concerned because the officer told you the packet would be kept at that office and you have since then found out it is in fact supposed to be sent to USCIS for AoS. That's what I would do.

Try this link for the phone#. I couldn't tell which port you entered through, but this is the list for Montana. click here

Edited by CBR

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: Timeline

I'm so sorry (F)

What happens if the packet is never shipped to our local office? What if it stays at the port of entry, like she stated that it would?

Any help or info will be appreciated..

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Steph. The officer probably misunderstood your question and meant that they would keep the packet there for further processing as opposed to giving it back to you. If she did, indeed, believe that it was to be kept there, there will be someone at the POE who will recognize that it should be sent on the moment she asks where to file it.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I would call that POE and ask to speak to a supervisor. Just tell them that you are concerned because the officer told you the packet would be kept at that office and you have since then found out it is in fact supposed to be sent to USCIS for AoS. That's what I would do.

Try this link for the phone#. I couldn't tell which port you entered through, but this is the list for Montana. click here

Coutts is the same POE as Sweetgrass, Montana...

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Timeline

Coutts is the same POE as Sweetgrass, Montana...

yes that is correct. I called the POE a little while ago and they assured me that the packet would be forewarded. We feel releived.

Thanks for all the info. everyone! Much appreciated....

steph

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.