6 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of putting together my AOS package. I have two quick questions. The first is where do I find my Non-Immigrant Visa Number (I-485)? And lastly, do I still need a sponsor AND co-sponsor for the I-864, Affadavit of Support? My fiancee's Step Father-in-Law was my sponsor and my fiancee was my CO-sponsor, in the origianl K1 fiance visa process. Does my fiance need to fill a form out or JUST her step father, the original Sponsor?

Thanks,

Miro

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

i am adjusting from visitor visa so not sure about sponsor ship issue from k 1 visa.( in my case my spouse is sponsor and her uncle is co-sponsor andboth of them filled I 864 separately with supporting docs.

But non immigrant visa is RED colured number in your visa in passport. )it is on lower right side. of the visa issued by US embassy)

i hope this is useful

--Jan 13,2006 Entered USA as Visitor (B2) ( I-94 is valid till end of June,2006)

--March 28,2006 Married in Naperville ,Illinois to United States Citizen

--April 5, 2006 Medical examination (I 693)+ Vaccination supplement form completed (chicago)

--April, 18,2006 AOS Package(I 130,I 485, I765)+supporting documents sent (chicago Lock Box)(DAY 1)

--May 1, 2006 BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS ( I 765 , I 485) received by mail for May 6, 2006

--May 6, 2006 BIOMETRICS TAKEN BY USCIS in Naperville (Day 19)

--July 21,2006 Initial Interview but waiting for FBI NAME CLEARANCE (Day 92)

--April 25, 2009 Infopass appointment to inquire my case : Result case was approved in June of 2008 but no body bothered to update my file (Day almost 610 )

--June 29 ,2009 10 year green card with date of Perm resident June 2008 received (Day almost 680 since interview )

--July 2011 Citizenship Interview :

-- Nov 2011 Oath Ceremony -US Citizen

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm in the process of putting together my AOS package. I have two quick questions. The first is where do I find my Non-Immigrant Visa Number (I-485)? And lastly, do I still need a sponsor AND co-sponsor for the I-864, Affadavit of Support? My fiancee's Step Father-in-Law was my sponsor and my fiancee was my CO-sponsor, in the origianl K1 fiance visa process. Does my fiance need to fill a form out or JUST her step father, the original Sponsor?

Thanks,

Miro

For AOS, a *spouse* must file I-864. Does your spouse/soon to be make 125% of the poverty guideline? I'm guessing no.

Reading the instruction for the I-864 and its FAQs, you'll see that the law allows for a Joint Sponsor's I-864 when the Sponsor doesn't earn enough.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I realize that and thank you for you in put :yes:, but does that mean I just need her step-father to fill it out or get BOTH, him AND my spouse?

Thanks again.

Thanks,

Miro

For AOS, a *spouse* must file I-864. Does your spouse/soon to be make 125% of the poverty guideline? I'm guessing no.

Reading the instruction for the I-864 and its FAQs, you'll see that the law allows for a Joint Sponsor's I-864 when the Sponsor doesn't earn enough.

Here is what page 1 of the I864 says:

Who Completes an Affidavit of Support under Section 213A?

For immediate relatives and family-based immigrants, the family member petitioning for the intending immigrant must be the sponsor.

For employment-based immigrants, the petitioning relative or a relative with a significant ownership interest (5 percent or more) in the petitioning entity must be the sponsor. The term ''relative,'' for these purposes, is defined as husband, wife, father, mother, child, adult son or daughter, brother, or sister.

If the petitioner cannot meet the income requirements, a joint sponsor may submit an additional affidavit of support.

A sponsor, or joint sponsor, must also be:

A citizen or national of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent

residence;

At least 18 years of age; and

Domiciled in the United States or its territories and possessions.

So, as you can see from the bold text, your wife and your wife's step father need to file separate I-864s.

G

I-129F Filing

G (USA)

L (Scotland)

2005-02-05 Sent to TSC

2005-03-02 NOA2 rcvd

2005-04-27 Medical - 3:40 pm in Edinburgh

2005-05-19 Interview - approved!!

2005-06-12 G & L fly to Florida

2005-08-20 Wedding day!!

2005-09-15 Sent AOS docs

2005-09-23 NOA1 rcvd for 485, 765, and 131

2005-11-28 AP rcvd

2006-01-03 EAD rcvd

2006-03-08 AOS interview - Success - pending FBI name check!!

2006-04-05 Rcvd the 'Welcome To America' email. Name check is done!!

2006-04-17 Green Card Received!!

2008-02-05 Sent I-751 to remove conditions

2008-02-11 I-751 received in Texas

2008-02-25 Check finally cashed!!

2008-03-19 Biometrics completed in West Palm Beach

2008-12-23 Rcvd notification of GC production

2008-12-30 Rcvd notification of confirmation letter going in the mail.

"Just as our DNA is unique, so too is our visa processing experience."

G 3/31/05

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.