Mand

Looking for tried and tested traditional American recipes

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

footnetwork.com has great recipies, maybe you'll find what yo uare looking for there. :)

As far as the pumpkin is concerned, I've only seen it cracked open in pieces, the seeds scooped out, the rind peeled off, and the flesh cut down into smaller peices and cooked in water with some spices until it's thick and smooth-- like you would if you were making homemade applesauce. Hope that helps. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I have tried a lot of recipes from foodtv.com, and they have all been really good. You can find just about anything there- I used a recipe for chicken pot pie and it was really good! Talk about an American Classic! (I think). Good luck,

Sarah

Thanks, I'll definately give that a go...it's even good to know what websites to trust. I used a website recipe recently for dinner and had to throw it out...it was terrible!! Although, they do say that a bad workman blames his tolls!!! But no seriously, it was rotten!! Thanks again

Hmmm...but try VegWeb.com; vegetarian, but really yummy and all the recipes have rating systems so you can choose which ones have the most stars! :)

Thanks a million for that, I've gone off meat since I've become pregnant and have been scouring everywhere for good vegetarian recipes that'll help me keep protein levels up. You're a star :D

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Timeline

Speaking of recipies...you know how to make a boxty?

That's the fried potato mix griddle cake isn't it? I've had it years ago, but I don't know how to make it. I don't think it's too common where I'm from. We usually just fry day old potatoes and cabbage...different dish, but tasty!!

It's like a pancake only different. Oh man are they good :yes:

Filed: Other Timeline

That's the fried potato mix griddle cake isn't it? I've had it years ago, but I don't know how to make it. I don't think it's too common where I'm from. We usually just fry day old potatoes and cabbage...different dish, but tasty!!

Lisa, are you talking about potato farls (or purdy bread, as Aidan calls it)? If so, Aidan's got a recipe for you. Let me know, and I'll get him to post it. He makes them for me all the time because they definitley don't sell them in the states. In fact, I think the only place they really sell them (at bakeries or grocery stores) is in the North of Ireland (Ulster-not just NI). I lovelovelove them, fried, cold from the fridge, straight from the griddle...you name it. Yum. *drool*

ETA: see attached. These are the ones Aidan makes for me...the ones they sell in the bakeries or grocery stores are usually square shaped.

post-8032-1147197422_thumb.jpg

Edited by jelti

Filed: Timeline

Lisa, are you talking about potato farls (or purdy bread, as Aidan calls it)? If so, Aidan's got a recipe for you. Let me know, and I'll get him to post it. He makes them for me all the time because they definitley don't sell them in the states. In fact, I think the only place they really sell them (at bakeries or grocery stores) is in the North of Ireland (Ulster-not just NI). I lovelovelove them, fried, cold from the fridge, straight from the griddle...you name it. Yum. *drool*

They're deffo called a boxty...we first found them in Dublin in a place called Galleghar's boxty house...it was so damned good & different, we flew to Dublin for dinner one weekend, lol

Then once when we were in Belfast, we went to Ryan's Wee Bar & Grille and they had them there, only better.

It's a pancake but with stuff heaped on it. Once we had steak & whiskey, then we had chicken..

But I'll take your recipe any day jelti! Yes please and thank you!

Boxty

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Boxty is a traditional Irish potato pancake. The dish is mostly associated with the north midlands, north Connacht and southern Ulster, in particular the counties of Leitrim and Cavan. There are many different recipes but all contain finely grated, raw potatoes and all are served fried. The most popular version of the dish consists of finely grated, raw potato and mashed potato with flour, baking soda, buttermilk and sometimes egg. The grated potato may be strained to remove most of the starch and water but this is not necessary. The mixture is fried on a griddle pan for a few minutes on each side, similar to a normal pancake. Traditional alternatives include using only raw potatoes, boiling it as a dumpling or baking it as a loaf. The most noticeable difference between boxty and other similarly fried potato dishes is its smooth, fine grained consistency.

Boxty was seen as so much a part of the local culture in the areas in which it was made, that the following poem was written-

Boxty on the griddle,

Boxty in the pan,

If you can't make boxty,

You'll never get a man.

As the interest in Irish cuisine has increased, so the popularity of boxty has risen. It is not unusual to see boxty on the menus of restaurants outside the areas it is traditionally associated. Boxty may be bought in shops and supermarkets either in the dumpling form or ready cooked as pancakes. Some modern recipies use garlic and other spices to flavour the mixture. For hygiene and convenience, the raw potato may be blended in a food processor instead of grating it by hand.

I can't make a boxty, lol

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Other Timeline

They're deffo called a boxty...we first found them in Dublin in a place called Galleghar's boxty house...it was so damned good & different, we flew to Dublin for dinner one weekend, lol

Then once when we were in Belfast, we went to Ryan's Wee Bar & Grille and they had them there, only better.

It's a pancake but with stuff heaped on it. Once we had steak & whiskey, then we had chicken..

But I'll take your recipe any day jelti! Yes please and thank you!

Ack, nevermind. Aidan says boxty is not the same as potato bread. But I'll have him post the potato bread recipe anyway, just for those interested. :yes: