Taichidi

Question regarding US Customs procedure

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

(This was also posted in Off Topic, but another user suggested I repost here for more related responses. -sheepish grin-)

Hey all! This is my first (okay, so like, my fourth now) post (among hopefully many!) here at VJ, so perhaps I should start with a bit of an introduction. My name's Reya, and I'm a 22-year-old Minnesnowtan who's fallen deeply (and quickly! :blink: O_o ) in love with a 24-year-old Dutchman, Martin. I hope ya'll don't look down on me for what I'm about to say, but to be honest, our two MONTH anniversary is coming up, and he'll be here for a visit (-bounces-) in under two more months. We've already decided our intent to marry, though of course his visit and mine (I'll be flying back to the Netherlands with him to meet his family and hang out for two weeks) will either confirm (most likely) or negate that decision. Because I was unemployed at the time we met, we were able to spend 10 hours or more a day talking to each other over Video conversation (Webcam and voice) on MSN. When I began working again, we'd write emails instead since my hours conflicted (annoyingly) with our time together. We share interests in music, friends (he's known my "brother" longer than I have!!! LOL!), computers (OMG we're both addicted >_<), image-editing, and have been either finishing each other's sentences or saying the exact same thing at the same time since the day we got together. We've been planning his visit here for about a month now, and only recently did it become possible for me to go back to Holland with him. :D

...Which brings me to my question(s?)...He's unemployed, recieving unemployment benefits for his mental health condition...he's diagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder (Ehm. The man doesn't stop smiling. HeLLO??), and so recieves enough benefits for rent, food, etc, from the governent.

I know Customs will be requesting a renter's contract and proof of income, and so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as far as what he should do once he reaches Stateside customs, what questions he may be asked, what forms he'll need to have with him, etc etc. I really do appreciate any responses, as well as pokes from any others going through similar situations. Feel absolutely free to add and IM me; I primarily use MSN messenger (hirochihachi@hotmail.com).

Thanks again!

--Reya

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your post is a trifle confusing but you are asking what issues he may have trying to enter the US on the VWP taking into account his lack of ties to the Netherlands, lack of Income and Medical Condition?

I doubt if the medical condition will be an issue.

I can see he might well have an issue showing non immigrant intent, how long does he intend visiting for?

He should bring everything he can to substantiate his need to return , just in case.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Your post is a trifle confusing but you are asking what issues he may have trying to enter the US on the VWP taking into account his lack of ties to the Netherlands, lack of Income and Medical Condition?

What issues he could encounter, in addition to perhaps what they may ask him as well as what information he should be able to provide should they request it. Basically, everything surrounding his first encounter with Stateside customs. I'm very nervous and really want to make sure this goes without any hitches.

I doubt if the medical condition will be an issue.

I'm really hoping not, although I read somewhere that 'potentially harmful' mental health conditions would be taken into account.

I can see he might well have an issue showing non immigrant intent, how long does he intend visiting for?

We'll both only be visiting each other for around two weeks each.

He should bring everything he can to substantiate his need to return , just in case.

Exactly. I'm asking for suggestions and factual answers about what he should bring. -sheepish grin- I'm sorry for not making that clear.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just checked, looks like he needs to contact the Embassy, can not use the VWP, assuming his condition can be classified as a Mental Disorder:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/...i94_samples.xml

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Make sure you have in hand a roundtrip ticket, i had one but when i got to poe i couldn't find it and this was part of my delay as for they called the airlines to confirm i had a round trip ticket and that was just the start of a long line of questions and delay of about 90 mins and a call inside the airport to steve from poe to back up everything i had to say... every trip we have had has not been a delay of questions lasting from 90 mins to 8 hours and a denial of entry.... and yet im doing it again on monday!!!! good luck :thumbs:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif3dflagsdotcom_uk_2faws.gif

K-1 Sent to Vermont St Patrick's Day~ May the Luck of the Irish Be With Us Today!! 3/17/06

NOA1 03-25-06

Touch 06-16-06=RFE Email

Touch 06-17-06

RFE Arrived 06-21-06

RFE Sent back to Vermont 06-21-06

RFE Delivered 06/23/06 10:55am

RFE-Touch 06/24/06

Touch 06/27/06

Approved 08/21/06 {157 days)

Touch 08/22/06

NVC Letter 08-25-06 Hard Copy

Left NVC 08-25-06

Arrived at London 09-01-06

Packet 3 Arrived at Steves Door 09-05-06

Packet 3 Sent back to London 09-15-06

London Medical 09-29-06- Completed

Packet 4 11-20-06

Londen Interview 12-08-06 APPROVED

Visa in Hand 12-12-06

Enters the USA 12-13-06

WEDDING DAY 2/18/07 @ 3pm

Boiler: Many thanks. I'll make SURE he at least calls the embassy tomorrow. That did nothing to ease the nerves though. -mockglare- :D Thanks again.

QDilly: OMG you scare me too. Darn it, I'm going to ask him to get a non-stop flight...I'm afraid of customs delaying him long enough to miss any connecting flight. That, and I'd rather be there for his first point-of-entry arrival anyway. ._.

Good luck yourself! :thumbs:

Edit: OMG, there was a denial of entry? I've heard those can scar your passport for a VERY long time...

Edited by Taichidi

Reya,

Point of clarification - Immigration, not Customs. The Customs folks will be asking him about what he's bringing into the country with him - goods or agricultural items like seeds, chicken or other bird products, has he been on a farm recently.

Although both Immigration and Customs are both part of CBP these days, they continue to perform distinctly different functions.

Yodrak

I know Customs will be requesting a renter's contract and proof of income, and so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as far as what he should do once he reaches Stateside customs, what questions he may be asked, what forms he'll need to have with him, etc etc. I really do appreciate any responses, as well as pokes from any others going through similar situations. Feel absolutely free to add and IM me; I primarily use MSN messenger (hirochihachi@hotmail.com).

Thanks again!

--Reya

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A rental agreement might well be a useful thing to bring, especially if he is unemployed. If you have a ticket to visit him in the Netherlands, he could possibly bring a copy of that, too.

When he arrives he will probably be asked the purpose of his trip. He should be clear that, although he is visiting his fiancée, you will not be getting married on this visit.

The initial mystery that attends any journey is: how did the traveller reach his starting point in the first place?

---Louise Bogan, Journey Around my Room

We are not engaged yet. He has, however, made me clear on his plans to propose once we have met and went through the 'getting to know YOU you' process in person. So Kezzee, <3, thanks for stating the obvious (do NOT take that the wrong way, that's meant in the best way possible).

Antone, he will have those with him, we're hoping his visit and mine will be smooth sailing. I'm expecting rocks for the K-1 process, but our visits...I'm really counting on those going well before even initiating the process.

Yodrak: -blink- Gotcha. :D Thanks for that.

No farm XD, he spends most of his time...on the computer. Has NOTHING to do with me. Swear it. </lies>

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Heh, well good luck. You will probably find the K1 process less stressful than you imagine. Of course, the waiting is awful, but things are usually pretty straightforward.

The initial mystery that attends any journey is: how did the traveller reach his starting point in the first place?

---Louise Bogan, Journey Around my Room

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.