JaHoney

marriage in home country or USA?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You could have an "unofficial marraige ceremony' in JA if you want to celebrate with his family. Basically have all the wedding hooplah but sign no official forms. I know that would be a nice way to include his family in the start of your lives together. I'm big on family so it was not even an option for me to have the big wedding here in the States cause his family would not be able to go.

I'm a CR1 filer and I know these visas take longer but you can be done with all the paperwork stuff when your hubby arrives. I think on average CR1's process about 3 months after K1's. So its really not that long of a difference. NVC processing for CR1 visas is extremely faster now that the payments went online. Once you get out of CSC or VSC you can process NVC in 6 weeks.

You know it all a draw with how long things will take. My process will be about 10months, but Shrewdie(CR1) who applied same time as me is still waiting at VSC. Deyoungting(K1) waited about 8 months. its all a draw. Personally I like the idea of the CR1 cause I am done with USCIS for 2 years. I do wish my husband would've been here faster but if I had done the K1 he would've gotten here in 2 months sooner and I would've had to adjust his status for over $1000 he'd not be able to work or go to school until his AOS process was underway. The CR1 just seems more fluid for me.

So either way you go, you'll have a bit of a wait. I would think long term to make this decision.Not just of the initial timeline cause the stuff after he gets here is a big factor in choosing the route you want to take.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I got married in JA and did the K-3 Visa and filed for Adjustment of Status once here. Took about 4 months for K-3 Visa and 4 months for his Conditional GC. May be more steps but he got here quickly which was our whole goal! Sorry I don't have much info on the CR1's!

Good Luck!

Was that a while ago?

Our K-1 took almost exactly 5 months start to finish. I think those quick times are gone for now.

If you do some sort of "unofficial" Jamaica ceremony, please be careful with flashing the pictures around. Several people have expressed problems with the embassy interviewer thinking it was official. The word seems to be if you do this, keep any reference of it to yourself.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Want to know how stressful, Honey? Ask Marlita and Shrewdgal. I don't think you are going to like their answers.

We did the K-1 route with the intention of renewing our vows in Jamaica around Christmas 2006. Still havent' made it back. Life has a way of taking control of everything. We'll be married 2 years next month, so the whole where we marry thing was of little consequence.

BTW.....if you marry in JA after filing the K-1, it is voided out and you have to start all over with the paperwork and the waiting for the CR-1. Think carefully before you do anything rash.

And, no....you can plan a wedding in the US in less then a week if need be. We did. Call a rent-a-preacher....call your friends and family.....buy some cake and champagne. You are good to go.

JG --

I just love you..........

Right back at you, sweetie!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
I got married in JA and did the K-3 Visa and filed for Adjustment of Status once here. Took about 4 months for K-3 Visa and 4 months for his Conditional GC. May be more steps but he got here quickly which was our whole goal! Sorry I don't have much info on the CR1's!

Good Luck!

Was that a while ago?

Our K-1 took almost exactly 5 months start to finish. I think those quick times are gone for now.

If you do some sort of "unofficial" Jamaica ceremony, please be careful with flashing the pictures around. Several people have expressed problems with the embassy interviewer thinking it was official. The word seems to be if you do this, keep any reference of it to yourself.

After a K1 is approved how much time does the non-US citizen have to come to America? With a K1 are you legally bound to get married in the states? I ask because maybe you could go back to Jamaica after your fiance is approved, have your wedding in JA and then return with your husband to the states.

Timeline

The K1 visa is good for one entry into the US - After the visa is approved, it is valid for between 3-6 months (I forget what JA is) depending on the country. Your fiance can use it to fly to the US ONE TIME, then you have to get married within 90 days and file to adjust status - your fiance CANNOT leave the US without advanced parole (separate fee and filing) or approval of his AOS - If he does so, it invalidates the K1 -

With a K1, you must marry in the US, no way around it.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: Timeline
The K1 visa is good for one entry into the US - After the visa is approved, it is valid for between 3-6 months (I forget what JA is) depending on the country. Your fiance can use it to fly to the US ONE TIME, then you have to get married within 90 days and file to adjust status - your fiance CANNOT leave the US without advanced parole (separate fee and filing) or approval of his AOS - If he does so, it invalidates the K1 -

With a K1, you must marry in the US, no way around it.

Right Sus;

My girl please be careful. My brother's friend left without the proper travel documents (Advance Parole) (returned for his son's birth). Now, they're having a really hard time getting things straightened out so he can return to the states. I don't even know what to tell them. He has another appt. with the embassy in September.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

And, it's 6 months. You have 6 months to activate the K-1 visa by stepping foot in the US. Then, you have 90 days from that point to marry.

I know someone else who did the same thing......came on the K-1, married and then left after 2 weeks without AP or AOS. I hear they are now filing for a CR-1. I'd KILL my husband if he had done that to me. The time and expense........over and over again.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline
And, it's 6 months. You have 6 months to activate the K-1 visa by stepping foot in the US. Then, you have 90 days from that point to marry.

I know someone else who did the same thing......came on the K-1, married and then left after 2 weeks without AP or AOS. I hear they are now filing for a CR-1. I'd KILL my husband if he had done that to me. The time and expense........over and over again.

Girl, who you telling. I would do the same thing...and the reason...to be there for the birth of his child...which he later found out was not his. HANDS IN THE AIR :angry:

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Girl, who you telling. I would do the same thing...and the reason...to be there for the birth of his child...which he later found out was not his. HANDS IN THE AIR :angry:

OMG!!! my head hurts just from reading all of this info, but i appreciate each and every single one of you who took the time to give me input. I will talk with my SO tonite, so we can determine which way might be the best for us. THANKS AGAIN ALL!!!

Timeline

Your head hurts from this information? Oh, girl.......just wait until you actually go to file a visa. You are in for a real treat!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Your head hurts from this information? Oh, girl.......just wait until you actually go to file a visa. You are in for a real treat!

LOL... :crying: i know i know, i never have been big on paperwork of any sort,my boo better be glad i love his butt, cuz im allergic to anything paperwork related. I guess because my job requires ungodly amounts of paperwork... :bonk: enough to make me want to just scream sometime

Timeline
STOP SCARING THE POOR GIRL ..JG :blink:

:innocent:

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.