Pandora01

Question re Interview

14 posts in this topic

I know I'm way ahead since we're waiting for our NOA2, but this has me puzzled.

I've seen that a lot of beneficiaries going to their interview are accompanied by their petitioner (US citizen). Does it really make a difference? We had planned on me going alone to save some money (plane tickets are pretty expensive) but seeing this now I'm wondering if we shouldn't plan on him being here.

I've seen that a lot of beneficiaries going to their interview are accompanied by their petitioner (US citizen). Does it really make a difference? We had planned on me going alone to save some money (plane tickets are pretty expensive) but seeing this now I'm wondering if we shouldn't plan on him being here.

The interview is yours...not the U.S. citizens but they are still allowed to come.

I think in some cases it may help, especially in high fraud countries.

If you want to save the money and feel very confident in your relationship and case, you can totally do this alone. (F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with Laura: it is not necessary for the USC to attend the interview. Although, it may be nice to have a short mini-vacation in Montreal-the Old Port area is very romantic and lovely. (L)

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline

We're planning on doing the same thing. Like Laura said, I don't think its much of a concern unless there are a lot of red flags with your application.

Anyhoo, Chris and I would likely start to argue about something insignificant, and it would turn into a 2 hour counseling session with the Embassy rep. Making all those other VJers wait longer in the waiting room. :lol:

Wow, never had such a fast turnaround on my other questions. Guess I'll have to ask in here instead of the K1 forum.

The interview is yours...not the U.S. citizens but they are still allowed to come.

I think in some cases it may help, especially in high fraud countries.

If you want to save the money and feel very confident in your relationship and case, you can totally do this alone. (F)

Thanks, Laura. I'm pretty sure that we'll get an RFE on the petition since the lawyer we hired didn't ask us to provide proofs like boarding tickets and such, but I know better now. Discovered VJ shortly after filing and I've been saving proofs of our ongoing relationship since (chat logs, emails, and such). So I guess I'll be covered for the interview itself. Good! And good thing I'm a pack rat too, I still have my boarding tickets and all the stuff from my previous trips. So if we do get an RFE, I'll be able to send them something.

I agree with Laura: it is not necessary for the USC to attend the interview. Although, it may be nice to have a short mini-vacation in Montreal-the Old Port area is very romantic and lovely. (L)

Thanks, LadyJane. I'll leave you the Old Port. My sweetheart and I are more of the open country type ;)

We're planning on doing the same thing. Like Laura said, I don't think its much of a concern unless there are a lot of red flags with your application.

Anyhoo, Chris and I would likely start to argue about something insignificant, and it would turn into a 2 hour counseling session with the Embassy rep. Making all those other VJers wait longer in the waiting room. :lol:

Thanks, Cattattude. Like I said above, I'm expecting an RFE for proofs of having met in person before filing. Guess we'll see how it goes and take it from there.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got through my interview by myself with no problems. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Wife was originally suppose to come but could not get time off (and she worked at the State Dept,lol at the time!!) I went alone and was too easy!! For the majority of cancuks the interview itself is very very quick and painless! in and out in less than 10 minutes!! If ya want to make it a mini vacation, go for it, if ya need to save $$$, go alone and save the $$ for another trip!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Wife was originally suppose to come but could not get time off (and she worked at the State Dept,lol at the time!!) I went alone and was too easy!! For the majority of cancuks the interview itself is very very quick and painless! in and out in less than 10 minutes!! If ya want to make it a mini vacation, go for it, if ya need to save $$$, go alone and save the $$ for another trip!!

Great! Thanks, flames9. Just out of curiosity, I'm understanding that the interview itself lasted 10 minutes, but how long did you have to wait before being called? Just wanting to know what to expect since I'll be having the interview in Montreal and see that's where you had yours.

I went alone and I was fine.. of course I wished my hubby could have been there for moral support but it would have been too exspensive...

Cool, thanks, Marilyn. It really helps me to relax knowing so many of you did it on your own :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

when I went for mine I was there about 7:30/8am and I was out by 12 or so with visa in hand... of course they don't give out the same day visas anymore....

if you go early enough you shouldn't have to wait too long...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Ok, half a day for the whole thing. Not bad considering, as far as I understand the whole thing, that they review the papers first and then call you up.

Re not giving the visas on the same day, that's one thing I don't really like 'cause from what I understand, I'll have to leave my passport there and wait for them to send it back to me with the visa in it. Don't like it, but if it's what it takes to be living with my darling, that's what it'll be :)

Timeline

Time wise varies! Some peiople are in at 0800, and by 0930 they are done!! I was out the door just before after 10 am!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Time wise varies! Some peiople are in at 0800, and by 0930 they are done!! I was out the door just before after 10 am!

Wow, that's cool! I'll set my mind on having to spent half a day there though, that way if mine is that speedy, I'll be even happier! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.