Why USA and not UK?

68 posts in this topic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Not that there aren't any in the US, but it seems to me the UK has a lot of ridiculous laws that seem to be almost overprotective of the citizenary.

For example, Nicky's uncle couldn't believe some of the clunker cars on the road. I guess there are certain standards for vehicles in the UK and if they don't meet them you have to junk it? Man, if that were true I think only 1 of the cars I've ever outright bought would have been ok enough to not junk right off!

That is just my opinion...I sometimes wish the US had a few more safety laws on the books but to me it seems the UK goes overboard in that way.

You're talking about an MOT test. In my opinion they are essential for the safety of drivers, passenger and anyone else around. My first car was declared a danger to drive it at the MOT test I took it to. Shook me a bit to think I'd been driving it for 8 months in that state.

I guess in the UK it would be easier (in many places) to get around if you didn't have a car. Where I grew up, we couldn't afford nice vehicles and I had to drive 10 miles to school with no bus service. Same went for jobs. I guess it is a good idea to have MOT's in theory here, but there would be a lot of hardship on rural folks if that were the case.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Not that there aren't any in the US, but it seems to me the UK has a lot of ridiculous laws that seem to be almost overprotective of the citizenary.

For example, Nicky's uncle couldn't believe some of the clunker cars on the road. I guess there are certain standards for vehicles in the UK and if they don't meet them you have to junk it? Man, if that were true I think only 1 of the cars I've ever outright bought would have been ok enough to not junk right off!

That is just my opinion...I sometimes wish the US had a few more safety laws on the books but to me it seems the UK goes overboard in that way.

You're talking about an MOT test. In my opinion they are essential for the safety of drivers, passenger and anyone else around. My first car was declared a danger to drive it at the MOT test I took it to. Shook me a bit to think I'd been driving it for 8 months in that state.

I guess in the UK it would be easier (in many places) to get around if you didn't have a car. Where I grew up, we couldn't afford nice vehicles and I had to drive 10 miles to school with no bus service. Same went for jobs. I guess it is a good idea to have MOT's in theory here, but there would be a lot of hardship on rural folks if that were the case.

The public transport is that great here. One thing I won't miss!

I mean really, a television tax? You've got to be kidding!!

The television 'tax' is in fact a licence fee. Without kicking off a big debate, it actually pays for NON commercial televison (and radio). The British Broadcasting Corporation, aka the BBC, aka Aunty Beeb.

I think that actually may be one of the things I will really miss.

After living in England for 2 years, I'm aware what the tv tax is to cover the NON commercial BBC. I respect the fact that you miss the BBC, but I never watched their programming and didn't think it was fair that I had to pay for them. Here in America, our public television relies on voluntary donations from the public.

My husband recalls that BBC 3 and BBC 4 on satellite programming had adverts. So they were getting funding there besides. Plenty of my British coworkers and relatives hated paying the licensing fee as well. It wasn't just me.

Filed: Timeline

The television 'tax' is in fact a licence fee. Without kicking off a big debate, it actually pays for NON commercial televison (and radio). The British Broadcasting Corporation, aka the BBC, aka Aunty Beeb.

After living in England for 2 years, I'm aware what the tv tax is to cover the NON commercial BBC. I respect the fact that you miss the BBC, but I never watched their programming and didn't think it was fair that I had to pay for them. Here in America, our public television relies on voluntary donations from the public.

My husband recalls that BBC 3 and BBC 4 on satellite programming had adverts. So they were getting funding there besides. Plenty of my British coworkers and relatives hated paying the licensing fee as well. It wasn't just me.

I hate paying taxes but I still have to. I pay for schools & public transport & public pools & libraries I don't use as well. I'm not going to lose sleep over £140.

The BBC is also funded by its commercial arm, BBC Worldwide, not just the license fee. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (PBS, National Public Radio) receives about 20% of its funding from the government, not just viewer contributions so you do pay for it (although more indirectly) through taxes in the US.

90day.jpg

I also missed having screens on windows. I didn't have a cat while living in England because I didn't want an indoor/ outdoor cat- would worry about him too much! Anyone know why the British don't have screens?

There was mold all over our flat- had to buy a dehumidifier and regularly clean mold off of the windows.

Hopefully my response won't offend anyone this time, as my last opinion did. Didn't know the BBC was such a sensitive issue! In the future I'll refrain from making comments about religion, politics, and British programming.

Anyone know why the British don't have screens?

There was mold all over our flat- had to buy a dehumidifier and regularly clean mold off of the windows.

i think we dont have screens because thats what they do in the colonies ;)

I know all about mold i fight a running battle with it and it drives my DW the usc up the wall shes a minnesotan and she says the only thing they have to put up with is dry rot of all things.

21-01-08 Found Sponsor UIL

12-02-08 Requested Affadavits of Bona Fide marriage from freinds

04-03-08 1st affadavit received

07-03-08 2nd Affadavit received

11-03-083rd Affadavit received

12-03-08 Our affadavit notarised

13-03-08 I-130 Posted DCF london Embassy

15-03-08 Application rejected (Rejection was due to lack of evidence of DW permission to work and live in the uk which they had already and eveidence we had been living in the country permanently for the last six months)

17-03-08 Re submitted I-130 and G-325a's DCF to london along with supporting evidence.

04-04-08 Credit Card Billed NOA1

05-04-08 Email received confirming File date 4th of April

09-04-08 Evidence received back along with Affidavit of bona-fide marriage

21-04-08 Applied for Police certificate from the Gardaí

31-05-08 Received Police Clearance from the Gardai

19-06-08 1400hrs sent application for Police clearance certs ACRO

19-06-08 1401hrs Realised i hadnt put in copies of bills and passport so posted them in a separate envelope

20-06-08 Received phone call asking for copies of bills and passport

28-06-08 Received ACRO police cert and RFE for Affadavits ####### see 09-04-08. Sent original affadavits

09-07-08 NOA2 Received :)109 Days from filing

11-07-08 Packet 3 Received

14-07-08 Posted DS-230 waiting on Birth Certificate (long)

11-08-08 Visa Interview APPROVED

12-08-08 Medical at 0850

19-08-08 Visa in hand

05-12-08 Arrive in Twin Cities (Provisional)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.