feejo

Double citizenship and pension

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Pensions are not necessarily based upon citizenship - they are based upon residency and contributions through employment. There are qualifying periods and restrictions that apply and you need to look at each pension independently with your own personal circumstances to see which ones you will receive and when. The US and Canada have a tax treaty that addresses receiving pensions in each country to avoid double taxation - that also has an impact. It isn't a cut and dried yes or no answer. As well, the age for Social Security in the states isn't 65. If you are eligible for SS - depending on when you were born it could be 66, 67 or 68 years old. Soon, it will be 70 years old. Some Republicans are actually proposing that you work as long as you can and SS is only available if you are physically not able to work - so who knows what it will be like when we reach that age - assuming we have sufficient contributions to qualify for Social Security. Right now it is 40 quarters of qualifying employment - about 10 years.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

The way I understand it is that if you're living in the US and have paid into Social Security, and if you apply for CPP, they'll take into account your contributions to SS and adjust the CPP payment. So even if you're not eligible for SS, you can still get payments from CPP.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Right - that is addressed through the tax treaty, interestingly enough.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.