AandLKC

Certified Copy

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have seen on multiple posts that all documents sent to NVC must be certified by the issuing authority … now I am from kerala and the birth certificate is issued by the marriage registrar and birth certificate is issued form the panchayath … now as far as I know the officers don’t have to authority to certify anything… what does “certified copy” means ? In India Notaries has more power because they are all lawers …. So do I just need to get it notarized??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

HI anish and lijy,

Certified copies mean that the copies have to be issued from the original issuing agency. In India, even though notaries have more power, notarized copies are still different from certified copies. Certified copies usually bare the seal of the issuing agency, not the usual notary seal. I have read many posts on the Asia:South forum where the NVC has not accepted notarized copies & have sent RFEs for Certified copies.

PGM :)

Timeline

You can try getting additional original copies for Marriage Certificate from Marriage Registrar and Birth Certificate from Panchayat. My wife was able to get 3 original copies for Marriage Certificate from Marriage Registrar's office and 3 original copies for Birth Certificate from Panchayat. Make sure to ask them to be in English otherwise you need to get translation in English and attach original copy along with translation.

USCIS

02/01/2008 : Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lock Box via Priority Mail

02/04/2008 : I-130 reached Chicago 2:18 AM

02/19/2008 : NOA1

02/20/2008 : $355 check cashed

02/25/2008 : Case available to view online

08/26/2008 : Email: Case will transfer to CSC

08/27/2008 : Notice Sent: Case will transfer to CSC

09/04/2008 : Email: Case arrived and pending at CSC

09/05/2008 : Touch

09/08/2008 : Touch

09/23/2008 : Approved !!! (217 days | 31 weeks) from NOA 1 (235 days | 33 weeks) from file

09/24/2008 : Touch

NVC

09/29/2008 : NVC received Case & Case # assigned

10/03/2008 : DS-3032 & I-864 Fee bill generated

10/04/2008 : E-mail for Choice of Agent sent

10/09/2008 : I-864 Fee bill instruction received in mail

10/09/2008 : I-864 Fee bill ($70) submitted online

10/10/2008 : I-864 Fee bill shows status "PAID"

10/14/2008 : I-864EZ Package sent via priority mail

10/16/2008 : I-864EZ Package reached NVC

10/16/2008 : E-mail for Choice of Agent accepted. (12 days)

10/16/2008 : IV Fee bill ($400) submitted online

10/17/2008 : IV Fee bill accepted

11/13/2008 : DS-230 Package mailed to NVC (Had to wait for PCC)

11/18/2008 : DS-230 Package reached NVC

11/21/2008 : Case Complete (53 days | 7 Weeks) at NVC

Consulate

01/06/2009 : Medical

01/27/2009 : Interview (361 days | 51 weeks) from file

02/09/2009 : POE (Newark)

02/21/2009 : SSN Received

02/25/2009 : Welcome Letter Received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Ok, I have a doubt, what do you do about the certified passport pages?

And what exactly is a certified copy, call me dumb, but I have asked around officials but they are clueless too.

So what really I need to do to obtain a certified copy of say my birth certificate?

Do I take a photocopy of my birth certificate and then what? I take it to the municiple board and ask them to attest it? Attest it with the same seal which is already on my certified copy? Or, do I need to take the photocopy on some bond paper and then get it sealed and signed stating that this is a certified copy from the issuing agency.

Sorry folks, but I really am confused about the whole certified copy thing.

Timeline
Ok, I have a doubt, what do you do about the certified passport pages?

And what exactly is a certified copy, call me dumb, but I have asked around officials but they are clueless too.

So what really I need to do to obtain a certified copy of say my birth certificate?

Do I take a photocopy of my birth certificate and then what? I take it to the municiple board and ask them to attest it? Attest it with the same seal which is already on my certified copy? Or, do I need to take the photocopy on some bond paper and then get it sealed and signed stating that this is a certified copy from the issuing agency.

Sorry folks, but I really am confused about the whole certified copy thing.

do we need to certify passport pages? This is disgusting i require.

Even i asked official but they were like they never heared certified word, for birth cert, you can apply to municiple for new certificate they will give you a new copy in few days.

The problem is with marriage certificate, if you have gone through Special marriage ACT of Soleminaziation of marriage then it is difficult to have second copy of it.

Getting three copy of marriage certificate is usual for those who registered their marriage from tehsildar or under normal hindu marriage act.

My Timeline

- - - - -

USCIS Process

Nov 7th, 2007 Petition I-130 to NSC

Jan 22nd, 2008 recieved by CSC

Jan 28th, 2008 received NOA1

Apr 2nd, 2008 received NOA2

NVC Process

Apr 22th, 2008 recevied Case number(generated and sent on april 14th)

Apr 22th, 2008 recevied DS-3032/AOS Bill

Apr 24th, 2008 Sent AOS Bill to NVC

Apr 24th, 2008 emailed NVC for Choice of Agent.

May 2nd, 2008 email accepted for Choice of Agent

May 5th, 2008 Immigrant Visa Fee bill generated

May 8th, 2008 Got IIN and paid Immigrant visa bill Online

May 9th, 2008 packet of information generated

May 12th, 2008 AOS package sent to NVC

June 12th,2008 DS-230 received by NVC

June 16th,2008 DS-230 entered into system

June 19th,2008 Case complete..I am happy.

July 14th.2008 found out my interview date.....which is 5th august.

July 15th,2008 Case forwarded to New Delhi embassy.

July 22nd,2008 Medical Done.

July 25th,2008 VFS fee paid.

Aug 5th,2008 Visa Approved.

Aug 17th, 2008 expected POE.

Aug 27th, 2008 Social Security Number received.

Sep 7th, 2008 Green Card received.

May 22th, 2010 Filed i-751 to remove conditions.

May 30th, 2010 Received Notice of action

July 30th, 2010 Received Appointment letter for Biometrics

Sep 23th, 2010 Application Approved

Sep 28th, 2010 Green Card Received

Timeline

i agree with RoZA .... i have gone through Special Marriage Act and they will not give you a second copy ...... its written in 10Rs Stamp Paper ... and only one copy. marriage certificate i am concerned about the least ...... because i am get a marriage certificate easly in United States .....with common marriage law ......birth certificate is the key ..........

Timeline

Another thing, how can you get multiple copies of birth certificate, I know if you lose your birth certificate or say your 10th pass certificate, you get duplicate of it, and once you attain a duplicate of any given certificate, the original is automatically discarded.

I think whenever the time comes for me, I will end up sending all the originals, except I don't know what to do about the passport part.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
I have seen on multiple posts that all documents sent to NVC must be certified by the issuing authority … now I am from kerala and the birth certificate is issued by the marriage registrar and birth certificate is issued form the panchayath … now as far as I know the officers don’t have to authority to certify anything… what does “certified copy” means ? In India Notaries has more power because they are all lawers …. So do I just need to get it notarized??

This is just a suggestion and an option that I explored for my SPouse. You can goto Chennai/Delhi/Mumbai consulate and take the originals and a set of photocopies along. What the consulate does is it can certify a true copy statement after verifying the originals provided the originals have atranslation incase they are not in English.

The consulate then bunches the photocopies together adds a cover letter with the Notary Seal - State Department - US Government etc and signs it as verified true copies. I think this should work with the NVC as its the same organization.

Note: The charges are steep like USD 30 for the first notarized signature and USD 20 for the next. But if you provide a bunch, they can attest the whole set for USD 30.

just a suggestion as it might save the headache of procurring a new set of originals.

best wishes

M

P.S. in mycase my I130 never got forwarded to NVC so just relying on K3 which requires submission at the consulate/VSF or VfC something.

Removal of Conditions I797C - Dec 7th 2010

FP Jan 14th 2011

approved May11th 2011

BEST WISHES!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Nice to Know that someone has done it .... seems like its the same way you do for an ITIN number

I just did it for 2 things

1. for TIN for my spouse

2. for affirming that I would be deferring my 2007 returns since I was in india for 2+ months

thanks

M

Removal of Conditions I797C - Dec 7th 2010

FP Jan 14th 2011

approved May11th 2011

BEST WISHES!

Timeline

This is just a suggestion and an option that I explored for my SPouse. You can goto Chennai/Delhi/Mumbai consulate and take the originals and a set of photocopies along. What the consulate does is it can certify a true copy statement after verifying the originals provided the originals have atranslation incase they are not in English.

The consulate then bunches the photocopies together adds a cover letter with the Notary Seal - State Department - US Government etc and signs it as verified true copies. I think this should work with the NVC as its the same organization.

Note: The charges are steep like USD 30 for the first notarized signature and USD 20 for the next. But if you provide a bunch, they can attest the whole set for USD 30.

just a suggestion as it might save the headache of procurring a new set of originals.

best wishes

M

P.S. in mycase my I130 never got forwarded to NVC so just relying on K3 which requires submission at the consulate/VSF or VfC something.

POINT

My Timeline

- - - - -

USCIS Process

Nov 7th, 2007 Petition I-130 to NSC

Jan 22nd, 2008 recieved by CSC

Jan 28th, 2008 received NOA1

Apr 2nd, 2008 received NOA2

NVC Process

Apr 22th, 2008 recevied Case number(generated and sent on april 14th)

Apr 22th, 2008 recevied DS-3032/AOS Bill

Apr 24th, 2008 Sent AOS Bill to NVC

Apr 24th, 2008 emailed NVC for Choice of Agent.

May 2nd, 2008 email accepted for Choice of Agent

May 5th, 2008 Immigrant Visa Fee bill generated

May 8th, 2008 Got IIN and paid Immigrant visa bill Online

May 9th, 2008 packet of information generated

May 12th, 2008 AOS package sent to NVC

June 12th,2008 DS-230 received by NVC

June 16th,2008 DS-230 entered into system

June 19th,2008 Case complete..I am happy.

July 14th.2008 found out my interview date.....which is 5th august.

July 15th,2008 Case forwarded to New Delhi embassy.

July 22nd,2008 Medical Done.

July 25th,2008 VFS fee paid.

Aug 5th,2008 Visa Approved.

Aug 17th, 2008 expected POE.

Aug 27th, 2008 Social Security Number received.

Sep 7th, 2008 Green Card received.

May 22th, 2010 Filed i-751 to remove conditions.

May 30th, 2010 Received Notice of action

July 30th, 2010 Received Appointment letter for Biometrics

Sep 23th, 2010 Application Approved

Sep 28th, 2010 Green Card Received

Timeline

Well I am still a bit confused about it. NVC specifically states that the copies should be certified from the ISSUING AGENCY, which means if someone has got their birth certificate from the municipal board of Pune, they have to be certified from the same municipal board of Pune.

Timeline

silent,

in my openion its not practical in India ... even if you go lie to the "officials" and say i need a duplicate one because the original is lost ... the time it take to obtain that is toooooooooooooo looooooooooonggggggg so .... send the originals and have VFS or the U.S Consulate in India stamp these are "certified Copies" ...... either way you looking at a 3 day trip + $30 for a doc .... or wait for ever

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
silent,

in my openion its not practical in India ... even if you go lie to the "officials" and say i need a duplicate one because the original is lost ... the time it take to obtain that is toooooooooooooo looooooooooonggggggg so .... send the originals and have VFS or the U.S Consulate in India stamp these are "certified Copies" ...... either way you looking at a 3 day trip + $30 for a doc .... or wait for ever

Hi anish,

I got married in kerala too and my marriage was registered under the Special Marriage Act and I had only one original true copy for the marriage certificate and birth certificate. For NVC purposes, I just send in the marriage registration certificate along with the pcc and birth certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.