rkn777

Mati City Davao Oriental Advice

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I am going to Davao and Samal Island (Pearl Farm) on this next trip, but also to an overnight stay in Mati City (to meet Mom). Of course I have heard the fearmongering regarding Mindanao (doesn't seem to apply to Davao and Davao Oriental?).

But since I can find little about Mati City online, can anyone give me any info on what the three hour van ride and the city is like? Any issues for americans traveling to Mati since the State Dept. says travel to Mindanao is "dangerous". I guess I am a little aprehensive about this trip. Mom seems nice, I have talked to her on the phone, shes planning a big breakfast! I am staying overnight but not at her house (my gf says its small and has no a/c) so we are staying at a motel where my gf says she knows the manager... Of course, I can find no motels in Mati on Hotels.com so I wonder what this will be like...

Leaving on Monday! YAY

(Have never been to Mindanao, we have met in Cebu and Manila, so this will be my first trip to her home.)

Thanx....

Richard

Edited by rkn777

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi rkn777,

i am not from davao but i am sure that there are lots of people here from VJ that is from davao. if want to ask things about davao then visit this thread , those people are from davao. Maybe you can message them :) .

Good Luck on your trip :)

PiNk

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been to Mati 5 times and its really awesome even before it wasnt a city yet.The best foods and fruits are there plus great resort and cold springs.Its safe to travel there by bus or rent a car just make sure you have a driver that knows the way.

Please dont think that mindanao is a scary place , not all part is scary as long as you dont go to Cotabato City or Tawi tawi city and other muslim communities :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Met on Filipinaheart.com: 2006-09-26

Became "official": 2006-10-19

Met in person: 2007-08-12

I proposed: 2007-08-13

Returned to America, started missing her:2007-08-24

I-129F Sent : 2008-01-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-02-11

Touched: 2008-02-25

I-129F NOA2: 2008-03-06

NOA2 Hard Copy: 2008-03-12

NVC case number assigned: 2008-03-14

Medical: 2008-04-17 PASSED!

Documents forwarded to NSO:2008-04-21

Interview: 2008-04-23 APPROVED (AR) !!

Verified Documents forwarded to USEM from NSO:2008-05-06

May 13 Got text from Delbros that Visa will be delivered up to next 2 days: w00t!

Visa on hand:2008-05-13 w00t!!!!

Ticket to San Antonio,TX: 2008-05-30

Wedding: 2008-08-09

In the Church of my forefathers in Minnesota :)

Baby due: 2009-05-20

AOS Timeline

Submitted application to USCIS: 2009-02-12

NOA: 2009-02-20

Biometrics schedule: 2009-03-17

Advance Parole : April 10, 2009 (received)

EAD: April 13, 2009 (received)

Welcome Notice: April 28,2009 (received) yehey!!!!

Permanent Resident Card: May 2,2009 Woo!!!! Praise GOD!!!

sig-for-vj.gif

n709537951_2223364_6181.jpg

Samal Island is cool, Pearl Farm is very expensive, like 100 to 200 dollars per nite.

You can take ferry over to Samal island cost is 30 peso, and rent a motorbike all day once you cross for like 300 pesos and ride all over Samal Island.

They have kick ### water falls, bat caves, a haunted house, it not crowded on Samal island, I really enjoyed it.

If you try to arrange a trip from pearl farm to see any of above mentioned they will charge you like 2000 pesos.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Well, I spend one night in Davao, one night in Mati and two nights at Pearl Farm. All were awesome. It was great to meet her family in Mati. Mati was a quiet city, stayed at a hotel called "Honeys" and it was OK. Pearl Farm is awesome (I am finishing breakfast here now) and Davao had a great music festival the first night, and Marco Polo was really nice. I felt safe, had fun, enjoyed my trip perhaps even more than Cebu, and will return to Davao and even Mati and Dehican Beach anytime my lovely lady wants to return. In fact, wish I spent two days in Mati - the people were great, the Lechon was yummy and the beauty magnificant.

Dont feat Mindanao! Davao was awesome and great beaches!

Well, I spend one night in Davao, one night in Mati and two nights at Pearl Farm. All were awesome. It was great to meet her family in Mati. Mati was a quiet city, stayed at a hotel called "Honeys" and it was OK. Pearl Farm is awesome (I am finishing breakfast here now) and Davao had a great music festival the first night, and Marco Polo was really nice. I felt safe, had fun, enjoyed my trip perhaps even more than Cebu, and will return to Davao and even Mati and Dehican Beach anytime my lovely lady wants to return. In fact, wish I spent two days in Mati - the people were great, the Lechon was yummy and the beauty magnificant.

Dont fear Mindanao! Davao was awesome and great beaches!

Edited by rkn777

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i'm glad you had fun ! CHEERS!! yeah lechon is yummy :D

PiNk 1111450x83btxvr2h.gif

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Dont fear Mindanao! Davao was awesome and great beaches!

I would like to say, I told you so but HECK, I will just say I TOLD YOU SO! Davao is GREAT and Mati is wonderful. :thumbs:

Next time, ask mymy, to take you to Masao in Mati, it is ABSOLUTELY beautiful! I hope she pointed the sleeping dino island on your way to Mati. There is also the carmelites monastery where you could buy wine made by virgins (the nuns), they use grapes grown inside the monastery.

And you do need to go back because you have not explored even 1/16th of samal island or Mati yet. forget pearl farm, there are other glorious resorts in samal as well as beautiful 'not commercial" sites there. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Do i sound like a very proud davaoena? I am a proud DAVAOENA! :yes:

Sorry, the kids and I were still at the church coz of the kids camp.. next time you come back, i hope you guys could really drop by our house and hopefully Kuya Mike (the youth pastor who married an american pre-school teacher) and Ate Valerie (the white gal our youth pastor married) will be back from the US already so I could introduce you to them.

Well, you have a safe trip back to the US. I hope to meet your lovely lady in Davao again one of these days.

God bless always. :star:

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Timeline

We did go to Dahecan beach at to Masoa (spelling?) and I took lots of pictures of the Sleeping dino island! I am planning to head back again in July, will do a lot more exploring then. Had to get my feet wet first! Best to you and the kids and Mr. Bear!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.