Welshcookie

Hypothyroidism

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

It seems to take some doctors forever to find out that the thyroid is causing some of the symptoms. Like my hsuband, he started with hives and it went on and on for months. He even got out of his iraq deployment because he couldn't live a week without an solu medrol (or whatever...steroids) IV. they gave him two Epi Pens in case his throat would close down (one morning he woke up with his upper lip swollen all the way to his nose) and he spent more days at home than at work for about 6 months. The endocrinologist was dead set that it was NOT his thyroid until he eventually did an US and saw the nodules. They kept growing so they decided to take the thyroid out (couldn't do biopsy) and just supplement with synthroid. Well - as mentioned above - he's 90% back, still has problems every now and then but no more urticaria. All the way while he was itching away, feeling miserable, I was pregnant, just as miserable...we were one odd couple. The pregnant lady and he hive-guy, haha.

Oh I forgot...the mood swings were terrible...holy cow, he was worse than me in early pregnancy... :wacko:

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

we were one odd couple. The pregnant lady and he hive-guy, haha.

:lol: Hives are so miserable...I always knew there must be some reason for them...luckily i don't seem to get the swellings anymore, just the itching. I guess this must have been coming on for some years....it took me to hardly being able to leave the house and falling asleep all the time to drag my sorry state of a body to the doctors :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
we were one odd couple. The pregnant lady and he hive-guy, haha.

:lol: Hives are so miserable...I always knew there must be some reason for them...luckily i don't seem to get the swellings anymore, just the itching. I guess this must have been coming on for some years....it took me to hardly being able to leave the house and falling asleep all the time to drag my sorry state of a body to the doctors :lol:

Sounds exactly like my husband. He would sit in the bath tub for hours cause that took the itching and then sleep on the couch..he was just miserable. Also, since he had hives all over his body he lost a lot of heat and was freezing all the time.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Filed: Timeline
After about a year of being unwell, and after some bloodwork, I was finally diagnosed with this a few weeks ago.

Anyone have experience of this condition? how long did it take for the meds to kick in and make you feel better?

And can anyone explain why after 42 yrs of having NHS available I get a lifelong disease 5 months before I leave for the States :lol::bonk: <------my hubby

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 4 yrs ago when I was going though a really messy divorce and the stress was the culprit. I started with 100mcg and got down to 10mcg. With this immigration etc I am back to 50mcg :blush:

Sometimes I tend to feel sluggish and hypersensitive to everything and sleep a little more than usual. No major symptoms or complications.

Although, I must tell you be regular with the medication coz I for stupid reasons stopped mine just before the interview (stress :whistle: )and had to start from the scratch and deal with losing weight again

Filed: Timeline
I think when you lose weight it's hypERthyroidism...when you gain it it's hypOthyroidism...not sure though.

I wasn't sure either at first coz I lost a lot of weight but was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism... It is possible to have mixed symptomsand sometimes feel more of the other.. I found out there are certain Yoga positions (asanas) that are very helpful in controlling the condition... Check this link :

http://www.yogacards.com/Yoga_for_thyroid/...d_problems.html

I think when you lose weight it's hypERthyroidism...when you gain it it's hypOthyroidism...not sure though.

I wasn't sure either at first coz I lost a lot of weight but was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism... It is possible to have mixed symptomsand sometimes feel more of the other.. I found out there are certain Yoga positions (asanas) that are very helpful in controlling the condition... Check this link :

http://www.yogacards.com/Yoga_for_thyroid/...d_problems.html

Thanks for the link :D